Questions about my 4-week old kitten

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
Around a week ago I took in a kitten given to me by my boyfriend's mom. The kitten is of a stray that visits her backyard often, as there are a lot of strays here. She was giving away these kittens in hopes of finding new homes and hopefully getting them spayed/neutered in the future since there are a lot of cats. Since he was 3 weeks old I have been keeping him in my home. I've been working off information I can find online, but it's difficult because a lot of sources can contradict each other a little bit.

My first issue was fleas. He actually doesn't seem to have many, and before doing anything I noticed only one crawling around at a time. I assumed he didn't have many. The kittens at my boyfriend's mom's house had a little makeshift heated shelter done for them that they stayed in, so I assume fleas weren't too much of a problem? I asked around because he was almost 4 weeks old at the time when I noticed the flea. My friend said to give him a flea bath, and the vet I called said to use a flea comb. (Btw, the vet said he was too early to take in for an examination, so I just gave her my questions at the time) I used a comb many times but nothing was coming off, so I tried to do my research before giving him a bath because I was really scared about the thermoregulation part and I really didn't want to scare him. I did a ring of soap around his neck and tried to be speedy with the bath but at most I only saw one flea come off. After drying him up I noticed a bigger bug crawling around..I was a little frustrated but I would continue using the comb in hopes of it jumping off or something. It would be around his hind legs, tail, and butt area, but after picking it up a few times I haven't seen it again. Now I'm just wondering if that was really a big flea, or some other bug? It seemed flea shaped, just kinda big for one. He doesn't scratch himself in that area (or scratch himself at all for the most part) and he seems content but there's really no way of knowing. I also check his gums to see if there is any anemia as a result but they look healthy.

Next is he has diarrhea since yesterday afternoon (As of writing this it's morning of the next day for me)! I have weaned him off his milk formula and started giving him "Fancy Feast Savory Salmon Classic Pate." Its very smelly after his meals since he is a messy eater and walks all over his food plate but I make sure to clean him up afterwards. After he pooped for the first time yesterday it was pretty watery. The color looked healthy, it was just around toothpaste consistency or wetter. The rest of the day I gave him more of the same food when it was time to eat. He would poop again at night and it was the same consistency, just a LOT more and all over the litter box. This morning he did the same again, just a lesser amount and this was before eating. I read up and saw less fiber can fix this, so I switched and fed him a little bit of "Friskies Shreds Chicken & Salmon Dinner in Gravy" since it had a half-percentage less of raw fiber. He hasn't pooped since, just went straight to bed after a little bit of attention. I read after weaning kittens diarrhea would be common for around 24 hours? I want to call the vet again if he does it some more today.

Sorry this is so long! I am new here and wanted to know some more feedback from other people with experience in raising kittens. I want to make sure I am doing well in raising my kitten Mango and what I can do to make it better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would also like to add, since between I got him (I think the 6th of this month?) up until before yesterday afternoon he was noticeably constipated or just not pooping.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lets hope the diarrehatic behavior is realy the constipation letting go...
Tooth paste consistence is really good in small kittens.

Goats milk is always a good supplement. If you can get raw goats milk its pricey, but extra healthy; and it comes from an alive mom too.
In Sweden we often use raw mince meat from cows (not pigs).
In USA its common they use Gerber for small children; take some unflavored brand.

If he continues to be constipated, you can add some virgin olive oil to his food, or let him lick of it.
IF he has much diarrhea, you must give him a little extra salts.... Flavorless pedialyte for children is good, or some good minerale water. Let the gas out, and let him have it...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try using Fancy Feast chicken pate. The fish and shreds are probably a bit much for a 4-week old’s digestive system. I would also suggest that you continue giving him formula by softening dry kitten chow with it like a bowl of cereal.

He will likely need deworming soon also.

Please post a picture of your new kitten!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh yes, re deworming... The standard is to deworm against roundworms, and there are mild dewormers which you could use now.
But as he had fleas, he may also got tape worms... So some all round dewormer is wise.

If you can get Milbomax, it would do the trick, and I know Milbomax can be used on fairly young kittens as yours.

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice! Today I got him kitten wipes for his eyes (I forgot to mention he has some excretions from his left eye, I heard this is common in strays for their first few weeks?), and I was able to get him the chicken pate. I will be monitoring his poops after he's done to see if the diarrhea goes away or anything, if it persists I will look into getting him the pedialyte, I will also look into goat's milk as well! :D I tried looking for the Milbemax but the ones I found would say 6-8 weeks or older...he is only 4 weeks right now so I'm afraid to try anything like that yet. I will keep looking around though!

When I got back home he had just woken up and I fed him the chicken pate with his formula and he loved it! He is a very messy eater though :lol:

Here are some pictures of him I have taken recently!
Screenshot_20230510_144514_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230510_144926_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230510_144543_Gallery.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the eye doesnt become better, there are antibiotic salves OTC... Although, if you have access to a vet, its best to let him help you with the gel.

Pyranthel is the active substance against roundworms, there are many otc dewormers containing pyranthel. Google, the brand you see...

These anti tape worm may be more hard on a little body... But if you cant find Milbomax, you can begin with some mild Pyrantel preparate.

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the eye doesnt become better, there are antibiotic salves OTC... Although, if you have access to a vet, its best to let him help you with the gel.

Pyranthel is the active substance against roundworms, there are many otc dewormers containing pyranthel. Google, the brand you see...

These anti tape worm may be more hard on a little body... But if you cant find Milbomax, you can begin with some mild Pyrantel preparate.
Thank you so much!!

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, does anyone have any advice for his eating time? He has been eating 3-4 times a day and he is a super messy eater. He walks all over his plate (or just puts his paws on anything I give him with food on it) and digs his face into the food I give him, and spills stuff all over the floor :lol: I have been cleaning up after him and all but it gets super tiring and though he gets himself all dirty, I get worried when I have to pick him up and clean him as best as I can. He gets super fidgety and scared, meowing and scratching my hands all over. Is this just a normal part of raising kittens this young or is there any advice for cleaning him up after his meals/preventing such a mess in the first place?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a messy stage while he is learning, but he will outgrow it. In the meantime, just keep a damp wash cloth ready for cleanup. It’s all part of the process. :catlove:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
By the way, does anyone have any advice for his eating time? He has been eating 3-4 times a day and he is a super messy eater. He walks all over his plate (or just puts his paws on anything I give him with food on it) and digs his face into the food I give him, and spills stuff all over the floor :lol: I have been cleaning up after him and all but it gets super tiring and though he gets himself all dirty, I get worried when I have to pick him up and clean him as best as I can. He gets super fidgety and scared, meowing and scratching my hands all over. Is this just a normal part of raising kittens this young or is there any advice for cleaning him up after his meals/preventing such a mess in the first place?
Its a part of the process, as SArthur says. Here especielly, as he is orphan, and doesnt have momma nor more advanced siblings to take example from...

Of course, giving bottle is more tidy and easier. And its probably one of the reasons people sometimes continue with bottle longer than its strictly necessary.... :)

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a messy stage while he is learning, but he will outgrow it. In the meantime, just keep a damp wash cloth ready for cleanup. It’s all part of the process. :catlove:
Its a part of the process, as SArthur says. Here especielly, as he is orphan, and doesnt have momma nor more advanced siblings to take example from...

Of course, giving bottle is more tidy and easier. And its probably one of the reasons people sometimes continue with bottle longer than its strictly necessary.... :)
Thank you!! This morning he actually made less of a mess. I'm proud:catlove:
I was thinking of giving his food through a bottle too, but I wouldn't want to create a habit. I want him to learn and get used to eating without needing one.

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since yesterday he has been pretty fussy... I wish cats would talk so I knew what was going on in his head :lol:
It seems to be for food since he walks towards where I usually feed him, and where the food is. I heard kittens this young have a super fast metabolism since they are rapidly growing. I've been feeding him around the same amount since he turned 4 weeks which was not that long ago, even giving him some more at times. I feed him every time he wakes up after a nap which is around 3-4 times a day, but between yesterday and today he has gotten way more demanding! He meows super loud and more frequently. I'm scared that I'm not feeding him enough or that he's unhappy in some way..

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s hungry! A kitten this age needs to eat as often and as much as he wants — at least 6 times a day. It’s difficult to overfeed a growing kitten!

M mangokitty
Oh wow! I see, thank you. I will definitely make sure to feed him a lot more! It's a good thing I got a lot of cat food then.

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! It's been a while and Mango has been doing very good. He is full of energy. I took him to the vet (his next appointment is tomorrow) and they said he had roundworms, so they are in the process of deworming him. Since then he pooped out worms one or two times, but then has continued to poop healthily. I was worried about one thing and I wanted to ask here for what I should expect...
Throughout the second week of July to around early August I will be overseas for a study abroad program. I will be away from Mango for around a month basically... I'm not worried about him being taken care of because I can trust my mom and sister to do so while I'm gone, but they say whenever I leave the house he's either sad-looking or asleep, and that he only gets his zoomies when I'm around. I'm not sure how true this is but should I be worried of him getting too sad while I'm gone? :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He will definitely miss you, but as long as they take good care of him and feed him, play with him, and let him sleep with whomever he chooses, he should be fine. He’ll adjust, and he’ll re-adjust when you return. Just keep in mind that he’s a little guy and each transition may take him a few days to a week to adjust to your absence and then your return. It should all work out!

mangokitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will definitely miss you, but as long as they take good care of him and feed him, play with him, and let him sleep with whomever he chooses, he should be fine. He’ll adjust, and he’ll re-adjust when you return. Just keep in mind that he’s a little guy and each transition may take him a few days to a week to adjust to your absence and then your return. It should all work out!
That makes me happy to hear, thank you!!