questions about ear mites

whymanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I think I idenitify what the kitty has- some white thingies in her ears and I think these are ear mites which is not good for me and I can't afford a vet right now.

What I been doing is using olive oil to try to clean it and kill these shitheads too but this is the first time that this happen. My two other cats never have them and this one who I'm putting it for adoption and is reacued from the streets has it so I have no experience in ear mites.

So is it okay to use olive oil? How much do I use it like twice a day? How long do I do this until i see something terrible to take her to the vet? There's a possibility that someone might adopt her but in the meantime I have to take care of her ears

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! You will possibly receive other opinions on this but I used olive oil on a dog with ear mites years ago and, possibly overdosing who knows, ended up creating a yeast infection in her ears which resulted in a vet visit which was more expensive than having treated the ear mites. The other commonly used oils which are coconut and mineral can result in the same problem and probably don't get all the mites anyway. Don't ever use tea tree oil on a cat, which you probably know.

I am not sure how you would determine that you had gotten rid of the mites. In the case of my dog, the whole ear issue got worse and seemingly painful. Can you get a vet to give you Revolution?

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens had ear mites and cannot really see them. Know after visit vet when had so much dirt in their ears. Gave a dose of revolution and after 5 days showered them and clean their ears twice weekly after dropping their ear drops. It will take a while for you to clean all the gunk out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whymanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! You will possibly receive other opinions on this but I used olive oil on a dog with ear mites years ago and, possibly overdosing who knows, ended up creating a yeast infection in her ears which resulted in a vet visit which was more expensive than having treated the ear mites. The other commonly used oils which are coconut and mineral can result in the same problem and probably don't get all the mites anyway. Don't ever use tea tree oil on a cat, which you probably know.

I am not sure how you would determine that you had gotten rid of the mites. In the case of my dog, the whole ear issue got worse and seemingly painful. Can you get a vet to give you Revolution?
Oh yikes. I was going to get the vet but then i realize i have to treat the ear mites to see but now im insecure when you told me about the olive oil. The olive oil is what i saw on google sadly. I thought of shampoo too

My kittens had ear mites and cannot really see them. Know after visit vet when had so much dirt in their ears. Gave a dose of revolution and after 5 days showered them and clean their ears twice weekly after dropping their ear drops. It will take a while for you to clean all the gunk out.
Aah i see. Rip me. I have to think cause this is now stressing me out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Be really careful what you put in the ears, not just for the cat's sake, but also because you might end up having to fix something that was not that complicated in the first place. If you can see your way to a vet visit, it should be an office charge and then medication or Revolution and that should be the sum of it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ear mites are generally found in any/all cats that hang out together, or even in cases where you can transfer them on yourself between locations of the cats. So, if only one of your cats has what you think are ear mites, I would think the other cats have them as well. If you can't afford an actual vet visit, call your vet and ask how to bring in a sample of the stuff you are seeing in your cat's ears. It will still cost but maybe not as much as an actual vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whymanye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ear mites are generally found in any/all cats that hang out together, or even in cases where you can transfer them on yourself between locations of the cats. So, if only one of your cats has what you think are ear mites, I would think the other cats have them as well. If you can't afford an actual vet visit, call your vet and ask how to bring in a sample of the stuff you are seeing in your cat's ears. It will still cost but maybe not as much as an actual vet visit.
she actually hasn't got close to the other cats, she's quarantined in a cage. My cats are not scratching their ears except her who does it. If she continue to scratch herself in two days then I have no choice but to call the vet. Unless someone adopts her but even then I don't think the people who want to adopt her will actually reply back, thanks for the responses everyone.