Question regarding anti-caking thickeners used in wet cat foods.

mptpeace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’m adopting myself a kitten soon and I’ve been doing a lot of research on what’s the best wet food I can feed my soon to be friend. I understand that almost all wet cat foods have an anti-caking or gelling agent, my question is which kind is the best. Just from a few hours of research I have found a handful of ingredients that can be used..

* Potato Starch
* Tapioca Starch
* Carrageenan
* Guar Gum
* Xantham Gum
* Locust Been Gum
* Agar Agar
* Cassia Gum

Let me know if I’m missing any and I would love your insight on which kind is the best!

Also are there wet cat foods that don’t contain an anti-caking ingredient at all? THANKS!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guar gum. It's a source of fiber, too. (You can read more about it on this vet-written site, just search "guar" on the page. There are even cat poop pictures to illustrate her point!)

There are a bunch on that list that I won't feed: potato (one cat is sensitive to it and barfs), carrageenan (apparently causes inflammation), and agar agar (makes both our cats barf).

I'll only feed tapioca starch in small quantities. There are a few foods that have it in larger quantities: I occasional feed a couple but drain the gravy. (That's okay for sometimes but I wouldn't want to do it often since nutrients would be lost.)

As for foods with none of that stuff, there are some from Tiki Cat, Miko (from Chewy), and Rawz pates (their shreds have small amounts of tapioca).

Good luck! When do you adopt your kitten?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't name you "this" as the wet foods I get use category labeling and not specify all ingredients but, if something is in jelly form, that's a hard pass for me. My Hima regurgitated or puked with every jelly wet food. When she puked, the food was usually not digested or half-digested so at least mine can't digest jelly food easily.

Hima eats pate texture. Currently Miamor chicken pate, and Gourmet Gold turkey. She's on a break from Pro Plan Delicate canned. She also gets Schesir Chicken Fillets Natural Style - it's a complementary food so it's not a meal but a snack, it's only rice water and boiled chicken fillets.

There are some very simple formulas too, like this if it's available where you live: Grain free Wetfoods for Cats - Chicken