Question of the Day, Wednesday, September 13, 2023

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Autumn pies aren't really a thing here, but I love apple pies, berry pies, chicken and vegetable pies, steak and kidney pies, beef and mushroom pies - just as long as they're not dried out and the meat ones haven't been ruined with spice or pepper.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Autumn pies aren't really a thing here
I don't think dessert pies are a big thing anywhere in Europe either at least many years ago when I lived there. I think they are something that started in the U.S. and Europe already had a long tradition of wonderful desserts so they never really caught on in Europe.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="denice, post: 5712726, member: 16387"
I also like the occasional pecan pie; it is very sweet and rich so a little goes a long way.
[/QUOTE]
One time I ate a whole pecan pie in one sitting. It was a good 10 years before I could even look at another one.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think dessert pies are a big thing anywhere in Europe either at least many years ago when I lived there. I think they are something that started in the U.S. and Europe already had a long tradition of wonderful desserts so they never really caught on in Europe.
That's a good point! We have picked up on dessert pies here, but the autumn seasonal change doesn't have anything like the impact or resonance or history it does in Europe or the North American continent, for example. They're just pies, no particular significance to them (but damn I miss the loganberry pies they used to sell at RMIT's student kitchen in the 80s!).

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also like the occasional pecan pie; it is very sweet and rich so a little goes a long way.
One time I ate a whole pecan pie in one sitting. It was a good 10 years before I could even look at another one.
[/QUOTE]
I once had a pecan pie a friend made. I'd never heard of them before and OMG it was the most delicious thing!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
An apple pie always hits the spot with me. Pumpkin is a close second, but apple will always win out. I love playing around with apple pie. A chocolate pecan pie works, too.

Many years ago, when I worked at the paper plant, they had an apple pie contest. There were a good 20 pies. I wasn't going to make a pie, but one of my GFs said, "Your apple and lemon pie! Make it; it's wonderful!" Well, I was off work that day. I made a pecan pie crust, filled it with apples, cinnamon, sugar, sprinkled a bit of vanilla over the top, then put the top crust on and baked it. After it cooled down, I made a lemon custard. Cut out a 2-inch square out of the top crust, and spooned the lemon custard into the pie, shaking the pie to distribute the custard. I used the leftover custard to "frost" the pie. Toasted and chopped more pecans and sprinkled them on top of the custard frosting. Took the thing into work. The "judges" (a few co-workers) tasted everybody's pie and then, after it was over, gave the rest of the pies back to their bakers. But when they got to me, one of the "judges" said, "Pam, there isn't any left! But here's your pie plate!" And I won first place! Believe it or not, apple and lemon go great together!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I like a heavily spiced pumpkin pie the way my grandmother always made them.
:yeah: I agree, DH and I both love pumpkin as well as the spices that go into that pie. Not a pie but we also like pumpkin scones.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[/QUOTE]

I can only imagine how you felt after that. They are rich, a lot of butter and either corn or maple syrup. I used to always make them with corn syrup. Corn syrup started getting a bad rap so the last one I made I used maple syrup; it was still really rich and sweet.