Question of the Day, Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022 (Early Version)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Early Version Whiskers Wednesday! :coolcat: I will be busy tomorrow so wanted to get a jump on the Question of the Day.

We recently switched one of our cable packages to receive TCM, (Turner Classic Movies). I was watching one of my favorite movies, The Best Years of Our Lives, which takes place post WWII. Veterans Day is almost upon us, November 11th. It's a celebration to honor and give thanks to veterans who served their country during war or peacetime. There have been so many movies made around this subject from Casablanca to The Dirty Dozen to Saving Private Ryan, to Life is Beautiful to Grand Illusion to Schindler's List to Captain America, etc.

WHAT IS ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES THAT PAYS TRIBUTE TO VETERANS? :salute:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really enjoy or watch movies that involve war, so I can't say there is a veteran movie I like because they all seem to have war incorporated in some capacity.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a sobering question as there (sadly) have been so many wars. Coming Home springs to mind but also a poem not a movie called Dulce et Decorum Est, by Wilfred Owen. Thanks for mentioning Grand Illusion.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White Christmas. I mean its my favorite movie period; but gosh that scene where they all surprise the general in uniform? Very touching. I just don’t like a lot of heavy subjects in my entertainment so I don’t watch regular movies like that. Its hard when things touch so much on someone’s reality.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None that I can think of. Too many portray us as borderline psychos- think First Blood, or any of the Rambo series, for that matter, or merely pathetic losers. I give a hard pass on them all, because, for the most part, we ain't like that at all.
EDIT: I refused to see Coming Home, because 'Hanoi Jane' Fonda was in it, and I want nothing to do with anything that she has a part in. Ever.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dirty Dozen. War is real and we can't just ignore it or protest it to make it go away. So many have already died to give you the right to NOT protect our rights and our country, I wish they could experience a communist country like Korea and China and finally realize what a great country we live in......

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen quite a few war movies, I'm not really "into" them but my husband is a WWII buff. Having said that, the Band of Brothers movie set is pretty good. Hacksaw Ridge is a touching movie, I actually really enjoyed watching it...you really fall for the main character...it's based on a true story. Saving Privat Ryan was good too. That's all I can think of off hand.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Just watched The Wipers Times, excellent movie about a WW1 that was, miraculaously, about a newspaper put out and circulated through the trenches. It must have been uplifting to have something -anything- to read then!