QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, MAY 26, 2021

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, I've been doubled jointed my whole life (AKA hypermobility) so I can do a lot of things without trying that most people can't. For example, without stretching: I can lick my elbow in two different ways, I can bend my pinky back so far it touches my hand, and can lay both palms flat on the floor while standing and keeping my legs locked, I can touch my foot to my head, and I can also do that creepy handcuff trick where you basically pop your shoulders out of place to get the handcuffs from behind you to the front by going over your head. A couple of these things have been pretty cool party tricks, but I've been most appreciative of it in times where I should have broken/sprained/dislocated something but my hypermobility came to the rescue. When I do stretch before doing any of these things I can usually go a lot further (like wrists on the floor with legs locked).

EDIT:

I can also pop my thumb out of place (which is actually rather common) and bend my middle finger like this...if I bend it hard enough I can get the tip perpendicular but it's really hard to take a photo of it.
View attachment 382024
View attachment 382026

View attachment 382021
I can do the same thing with popping the thumb out. When I was a kid I would extend the thumb and close the rest if the fist and flex my thumb in and out making an impression of a snail moving.🐌 The other kids wear fascinated over how I could do that.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be in Gymnastics growing up and had a decent level of flexibility. Now that I am older and out of shape, I still retained some of that flexibility, but I have work to do to reach my potential. I am currently doing bridges, squats, lunges and other exercises, but I will add Yoga for flexibility and balance down the road. :rock: cassiopea cassiopea . Thanks for showing us your Ballet moves. I took it for awhile to help with my floor exercises in Gynmastics, it definitely enhanced my flexibility and made my moves more graceful. 🙂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been doing yoga for a long time, so I have a pretty good range of motion. I think everyone has some directions their body is naturally flexible in, whereas other things are more challenging. I can do splits, backbends and leg behind the head poses quite easily, but my hips are taking much longer to open up. I can't do lotus pose, although I am noticing that with regular stretching I'm slowly getting closer.

Hike19.jpg

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you kindly! I started folk dancing when I was 4-5 years old, then ballet a little bit after that.
I was involved with Irish Step Dancing for awhile when I was young. You are pretty stiff up top while your legs do all the work. I enjoyed it for awhile. I also been to Ceili dances (Irish folk dance) I also did some tap dancing and ofcourse the Ballet to help with my floor routine. I am considering taking up some Ballroom dancing. I love to dance. ❤❤❤

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was involved with Irish Step Dancing for awhile when I was young. You are pretty stiff up top while your legs do all the work. I enjoyed it for awhile. I also been to Ceili dances (Irish folk dance) I also did some tap dancing and ofcourse the Ballet to help with my floor routine. I am considering taking up some Ballroom dancing. I love to dance. ❤❤❤
That is SO cool!!! Love Irish Step Dancing, it's so impressive! And Ceili dances look so lovely! I did Finnish, Swedish, Polish (With their various regional styles respectively) English Country and some Russian Kalinka folk dancing. Also took part Swing Dancing and a little bit of Waltz and Tango - Good luck with ballroom dancing! No doubt you will do wonderfully and have a lot of fun :redheartpump:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
That is SO cool!!! Love Irish Step Dancing, it's so impressive! And Ceili dances look so lovely! I did Finnish, Swedish, Polish (With their various regional styles respectively) English Country and some Russian Kalinka folk dancing. Also took part Swing Dancing and a little bit of Waltz and Tango - Good luck with ballroom dancing! No doubt you will do wonderfully and have a lot of fun :redheartpump:
Thank you.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know actually.
I used to do gymnastics, so that probably helps some.
I can still do splits, although it hurts a little and usually gives me a bruised knee.
And while sitting on the floor, legs spread, I used to be able to touch my nose to the ground.
I haven't worked on it in a while, so I've probably gotten a lot less flexible. I was never really build as a gymnast in the first place 😅

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My parents dropped me off at a ballet studio when I was two and I continued with it into my 20s. I was okay...danced with regional companies, even one lead in Cinderella, learned flamenco which is really akin to Irish step dancing which I love. Came to tap dancing later which was also great fun. I also did some choreography for a local drama group for the musicals George M and Carousel. I love movement and as I got older I started to run and power walk. I am a notoriously fast walker and average 4 miles per hour most of the time. I can still touch my toes and stretch and balance but have osteoporosis and major joint stiffness from the meds, along with a couple of others that I take. Knees are the worst. I can't get up off the floor if I am on my knees unless I throw myself over a chair, but then I am fine. I did take a yoga class which I enjoyed, but had to be careful with the knees. I also did Tai Chi but it was not enough movement for me and I kept making it into ballet...not flowing so much as holding in position. So not that flexible but I am addicted to movement.