Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 7, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Next Tuesday, March 14, is a day dear to the hearts of all math and science nerds (and me, too, although I'm hopeless at both).  It is that wonderful day called PI DAY!  As in 3.14, doncha know?  And it is, of course celebrated with the eating of all manner of pies, both savory and sweet.

Do you celebrate it?  Ever heard of it?  Whatcha gonna do?

I barely know pi from phi, but I'll take any excuse for a good pie!  I'm going to make Shepherds' Pie for my supper and make a blueberry pie with a lattice top for dessert!

It really is a fun little "holiday," especially with a group, such as work or friends, who get together and each bring a pie.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had never heard of it but I am fine with any excuse for a pie.  I actually much prefer pie to cake.  The only pie I don't care for is mincemeat pie.  I also don't like raisins so no raisin pie, I hardly ever hear of that anymore.  I remember years ago people would add raisins to apple pie, I never understood ruining a perfectly good apple pie with raisins.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I had never heard of it but I am fine with any excuse for a pie.  I actually much prefer pie to cake.  The only pie I don't care for is mincemeat pie.  I also don't like raisins so no raisin pie, I hardly ever hear of that anymore.  I remember years ago people would add raisins to apple pie, I never understood ruining a perfectly good apple pie with raisins.
 I do that....add raisins to my apple pie sometimes. I'll make a butterscotch apple pie and then add plumped-up raisins to the thing. Rick likes them that way. One time, I made this gorgeous apple pie with the butterscotch and the raisins. Well, my brother stopped in, saw the pie, and said he really wanted to take it home. I had made two pies, one with the raisins, one without. And I thought I knew which was which. I didn't. My brother, who cannot stand raisins in anything, ended up with the lovely apple-raisin pie. He was not amused. Nether was Rick when he realized that I had given my brother the "good" pie. I still hear about that from time to time. The men in my life do not forget easily.

We probably won't do anything. Unless I decide to make a chicken pot pie or something like that. It's still pie!

But you know.....I could eat a good lemon meringue pie now! Love lemon meringue!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard of it, but not a bi fan of pie so don't celebrate.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I'm familiar with it, we used to celebrate at school (work) by bringing in all sorts of pies.  Pie and coffee are a perfect combo! 

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i must have missed hearing about Pi Day! 
  great idea though!!!

i hadn't planned on making a pie, but may just do that now that you've mentioned it! 
   and i have a disc of pie crust dough thawed in the fridge right now, which is enough for both the quiche i'll be making and a pie. well, that will work out very nicely!

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

all that yup me too!! I love a Pineapple pie.. i prefer pie to anything.. cookies cakes etc.. for my B-day.. everyone brings pie.. i like the apple with a ton of crumb stuff.. Pumpkin pie.. i eat the middle.. Cherry.. i make a half cherry half blue berry.. very pretty, i like Lemon but i dont put meringue on it.. no like.. i just put a lattice on it with that crunchy sugar.. oh and i do make an ice cream pie! Why did u wind me all up about pie? hahah 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

i must have missed hearing about Pi Day! 
  great idea though!!!

i hadn't planned on making a pie, but may just do that now that you've mentioned it! 
   and i have a disc of pie crust dough thawed in the fridge right now, which is enough for both the quiche i'll be making and a pie. well, that will work out very nicely!
And quiche is another lovely meal for Pi Day!  It's a pie, of one sort or another!  I LOVE quiche, and make all sorts of them.  Next month I'm making a pizza quiche with onion, bell pepper, pepperoni and sun-dried tomatoes.

I do that....add raisins to my apple pie sometimes. I'll make a butterscotch apple pie and then add plumped-up raisins to the thing. Rick likes them that way. One time, I made this gorgeous apple pie with the butterscotch and the raisins. Well, my brother stopped in, saw the pie, and said he really wanted to take it home. I had made two pies, one with the raisins, one without. And I thought I knew which was which. I didn't. My brother, who cannot stand raisins in anything, ended up with the lovely apple-raisin pie. He was not amused. Nether was Rick when he realized that I had given my brother the "good" pie. I still hear about that from time to time. The men in my life do not forget easily.

We probably won't do anything. Unless I decide to make a chicken pot pie or something like that. It's still pie!

But you know.....I could eat a good lemon meringue pie now! Love lemon meringue!
I'm also guilty of both.  And I make homemade mincemeat on occasion, from my grandmother's recipe (the date on the card is May something, 1902).  And I do occasionally add raisins.  Winchester, how do you plump your raisins?  I've used water, brandy and apple cider, which really gives a kick to them in an apple pie!

all that yup me too!! I love a Pineapple pie.. i prefer pie to anything.. cookies cakes etc.. for my B-day.. everyone brings pie.. i like the apple with a ton of crumb stuff.. Pumpkin pie.. i eat the middle.. Cherry.. i make a half cherry half blue berry.. very pretty, i like Lemon but i dont put meringue on it.. no like.. i just put a lattice on it with that crunchy sugar.. oh and i do make an ice cream pie! Why did u wind me all up about pie? hahah 
LOL...OH YES to the pumpkin pie!  I even buy pumpkin pie ice cream, top it with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice!  I was thrilled this month to find it STILL in my local grocery store, although not at WalMart.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As a Mathematician (Math Major in College, BA in Mathematics cum laude) of COURSE I am familiar with pi day!  I always stop in at the local orchard store and buy one of their pies.  It is always such a difficult choice as they offer apple (made from their own apples) as well as apple crumb, blueberry and blueberry crumb, burgundy and burgundy crumb ( blueberries with raspberries!), cherry, mince, Dynamite Don's Five Fruit Pie (apples, blueberries, raspberries,  strawberry and rhubarb) which also comes in a crumb topping, pumpkin, strawberry rhubarb, squash, lemon, custard and pecan.

Then there are the cream pies but I save those for some other special time he heee.

And yes, rhubarb is a 'veggie,' lol, but they call it the 5 fruit pie anyway!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

As a Mathematician (Math Major in College, BA in Mathematics cum laude) of COURSE I am familiar with pi day!  I always stop in at the local orchard store and buy one of their pies.  It is always such a difficult choice as they offer apple (made from their own apples) as well as apple crumb, blueberry and blueberry crumb, burgundy and burgundy crumb ( blueberries with raspberries!), cherry, mince, Dynamite Don's Five Fruit Pie (apples, blueberries, raspberries,  strawberry and rhubarb) which also comes in a crumb topping, pumpkin, strawberry rhubarb, squash, lemon, custard and pecan.

Then there are the cream pies but I save those for some other special time he heee.

And yes, rhubarb is a 'veggie,' lol, but they call it the 5 fruit pie anyway!
AH...and I am as far from a Mathematician as one can get!  I have issues with arithmetic, much less mathematics.  The most expertise I can claim is to know the difference between the two!  That said, you would appreciate the reference in one of Dan Brown's book about a bit of math graffiti, "Phi is one H of a lot more interesting than Pi!"

As for rhubarb being a veggie, well...tomato is a fruit, so I guess it balances out!  One veggie in a pie, and one fruit on a sandwich!  Life is sweet!

Dang...I tend to over-use ellipses and exclamation points.  And I occasionally dangle both prepositions and participles.  The grammar police will be at my door any minute now.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahahahaaaa, I think you covered all of it -  math, arithmeatic, fruits and veg, grammar, punctuation. You gave me quite a good laugh THANKS!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Gram used to make my cousin and I Apple Squares (apple pie in a long cookie sheet) instead of cakes for our birthday.  So I'm definitely a pie fan! 
  I don't know if I'll celebrate.  If we do; I'll probably buy one. I  have a store near me where I can get Amish baked goods and they are always tasty.  I make a good pie; but I don't really have time these days. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

My Gram used to make my cousin and I Apple Squares (apple pie in a long cookie sheet) instead of cakes for our birthday.  So I'm definitely a pie fan! 
  I don't know if I'll celebrate.  If we do; I'll probably buy one. I  have a store near me where I can get Amish baked goods and they are always tasty.  I make a good pie; but I don't really have time these days. 
Buying the pie is perfectly acceptable.  And with some I know, vastly preferable.  I've eaten some nasty pies in my time to avoid hurt feelings.  I make a decent pie, and I enjoy it, so there's that.