Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 1, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday on the first day of March! :happycat:

A good friend called me last week when I was dealing with a painful dental procedure so I was unable to call her back until a few days later. I pride myself on returning calls promptly but sometimes life gets in the way. Obviously if I get a phone call from a doctor's office I return it ASAP. However, there are a few people who I purposely wait to call back because I know there will either be confrontation or they're just being nosey. :rolleyes:

HOW LONG DO YOU WAIT TO RETURN PHONE CALLS AND WHY OR WHY NOT?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, I return them as soon as I become aware of them. Sometimes I might be doing something that requires earplugs, so I don't hear the phone go off, so it might take a while before I notice anything.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I call back as soon as I know they've called. sometimes that can be the next day! anyone who knows me at all knows I am NOT a phone person, I need to read a person's face when I talk to them. I never talk long and loathe those LOOOONG phone calls. Anything over 10 minutes is an eternity to me. There is an old coworker that found out my phone number and started calling me after his wife died. Though I feel sorry for him, sometimes he is drunk and it is late at night. Both unpleasant. I took three days to return his call last time, i am not returning it at all now.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have my phone with me all the time (if I'm in the Shed, sometimes I'll leave the phone in the house), so I may not know somebody called right away. Sometimes not until the next day or so. And I'm terribly forgetful, so I may not get back to the person right away. I'll be going through my phone and see where so-and-so called. And then it's "Oh crap!" I don't do it on purpose.

I'm not much of a phone person (dealt with a phone a lot at work), so there are very few people who I feel comfortable talking with for quite a while.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The OCD in me makes me call them back immediately. The only one I delay on sometimes is my brother because when he calls it’s usually because he needs money or help of some kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
there are very few people who I feel comfortable talking with for quite a while.
LOL, I literally just got a phone call and although I like the person I've asked her to call on the landline not my cell. She always does the opposite so I just let it go to voicemail and will call back later. 😉

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends. Not too many people call me just to talk, so if I have a message it's usually either something I answer right away or never answer (like a telemarketer). I don't like talking on the phone really.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of talking on the phone just to "talk"...and most people know this about me so most of the calls I usually get are from people who are asking or telling me something important or to make plans etc...
As for returning calls, if it sounds like it was time sensitive I call back as soon as I can, if not, I get to it when I get to it. Like I said, not a fan of the phone, so depending on who I have to call back...sometimes I need to be "mentally prepared".
I don't have a cell, only a landline...and one of the reasons for this is I refuse to bow down to everyone else's incessive need for immediate response or "instant gratification". Sounds mean, but it's much less stressful to just "unplug" as much as possible.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call back as soon as I can. I usually have my phone with me, so I seldom miss calls unless I’m driving, in which case they have to wait until I’m out of the car. I don’t get unexpected social calls, they’re either about appointments or they’re scammers.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like using the phone for talking so it depends on who is calling and why. No one really calls just to chat now except my mother. She text too though. Sometimes I have to wait till I have a free minute between school and parenting. Or I need to be able to go in another room to get away from background noise from kids being around. I try not to let it go too long though.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not much for talking on the phone either so most calls are things like the doctor's or vet's office. The numbers are in my cell so they come up with who it is from, since I work from home exclusively now I pick up. Since working from home I know how many scam and telemarketer calls come in. Of course the list was on my phone but now I hear the calls come in. It seems like they go in cycles. I will go for a while with hardly any and then it will go through a cycle where there are a number of them every day.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I don't know the number calling me I normally wait until I search for who the number is and if it's relevant I'll call back after. With numbers of people I know I normally call back unless I'm unable to.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't get any calls from people in my life who I would want to call back. I get a lot of appointment reminders and alerts when my prescriptions are ready via phone calls but I don't need to call back and I never answer. When I get a call from like a doctor or dentist and they request a call back, I often forget for a few days because I have ADHD.
If a friend calls me and I don't answer, I usually get a text from them right after.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I live waaaaaaay up in the mountains and there's no cell phone reception unless I go outside and stand facing a certain direction. I return calls as soon as I notice someone has called me, but that can take a few days. Same goes for text messages.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I return calls right away as a general rule.Spam calls I don't answer at all.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It depends on what type of call it is. If it's personal, I'll call back when I get home from work. If it's a doctor or business, it'll be on my lunch break that day if it was in the morning or the next day if it was in the afternoon. If it happens while I'm driving, I call back when I'm parked. I DO NOT use my phone while driving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I DO NOT use my phone while driving.
Me too. :thumbsup: I also hate when people text while driving since it can cause an accident. Our state has a hands free law for phone calls while driving but I see people holding their phone and talking all the time. :mad2: