Question of the day Wednesday February 3

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
They all do. We've always had the chattiest bunch around. Every cat we've ever shared our loves with has been chatty. I don't know why, but I think it's because we talk to them, too. And we can tell what they want. It's not just by their meows and grunts; it's also based on time of the day, where they're at in the house when they're talking to us. I just know. Rick will often ask me what one of the girls wants when she's talking. I seem to be able to figure it out.

When Muffin first came to live with us, she was rather quiet. You hardy ever heard her say much. Over the years, though, she has turned into quite the talker. We've often said that my mother wouldn't even recognize her as the same cat. She'll jump up into my lap and have conversations with me. And I always answer her.

I have been told that witches do know what their familiars are saying. Whatever that means!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part Willow is a closed mouth whiner/whimperer when there is something she wants from me. it’s a very sad sound. She also has a panic attack cry of soft little meows very close together . Both of these sounds are unique in my years of experience with cats. The only time she gives normal cat meows is when she is playing by herself. Then she meows, howls and hisses are imaginary things

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my three are very talkative. My late cat, Willie, was a total loudmouth. She never shut up. I knew what most of her sounds meant. With my current three, even though they don't make a lot of noise, I know what most of their noises mean. Maisie, for example, breathes heavily when she's hungry. Remy snorts when he is mad. Flora trills when you touch her by surprise.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is really quiet. Sometimes she will let out a little meep meep or hiss if you try to make her do something she doesn't want to do.
Demi only hissed one time, when he was a baby and my brother tried to take him home. Thank God!
Demi is like a foghorn when he wants something. He will not stop crying, in a high pitched nerve shattering cry.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is such a talker! There are days when I have to practically put ear plugs in. He whines!!!
This began from day one!

Such a baby voice. When he wants me, to cuddle, eat, or play, he calls. A closed mouth whining. Very high pitched.
I do not even know if he meow properly. It com s out soft and raspy.

I can tell what he wants from his cries.
We do have conversations with each other. When he does something wrong, I reprimand him— he gives me back talk!!! Me, his Mama!!
I have to tell him not to sass me! Then he goes under the bed to pout.

Geoffrey knows the word “cuddle “. When I say that he goes into my bedroom, waiting for me to lie on-top of it. We then cuddle. And he knows: Play

Artie was the same way. We had so many conversations. I would come home. He would meet me at the door and tell me about his day. I would comment, and say,”what else? Tell me more? What happened then?” And he would go on and on.

Artie even learned how to say: ouwwwwt. For open balcony door, and go out.
I could get him to sometimes poop on command.

Yes, I believe as Winchester Winchester does: the more you talk to them, the more they talk to you.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell what he wants from his cries.
We do have conversations with each other. When he does something wrong, I reprimand him— he gives me back talk!!! Me, his Mama!!
I have to tell him not to sass me! Then he goes under the bed to pout.
Geoffrey knows the word “cuddle “. When I say that he goes into my bedroom, waiting for me to lie on-top of it. We then cuddle. And he knows: Play
Artie was the same way. We had so many conversations. I would come home. He would meet me at the door and tell me about his day. I would comment, and say,”what else? Tell me more? What happened then?” And he would go on and on...
So cute!!! :redheartpump::hearthrob::hugs::redheartpump::hearthrob::hugs::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue loves the sound of his own voice so he chats to me, himself, a fly on the wall..just talks his head off.
I love his contact calls when we are out of each others sight, inside or out or if I dont know where he is I yell and he yells back..wont come to me..just yells back.
Oh..and the ..I going to go poop....and...I pooped!!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are a quiet household lol

Ashton had very soft, mid-pitch ah's, but she rarely talked.

Sushi's ah's are even more higher pitched and daintier.

Ruckus, on the other hand, has a low, hoarse grumble, and sometimes yowel. Like a baby tired of crying :lol:

The only times they actually make the meow sound are when they go to the vet.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they ever! Everything from little-kitten squeaks (Bashful) to wow-wows (Burdock, just before he hacks up a hairball). Most of their sounds defy description, like when Stretch sounds like a demented pigeon when he wants to have his head rubbed. It is a veritable cacophony of cats.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
When Diamond wants something, he yells. It's not a meow.:lol:
Seal has a sweet little meow that signals dinnertime.
Leo makes very little noise. Sometimes when I have his favorite food he will meow at the top of his lungs. I can barely hear it.
Tiger has started chattering away. When I come into his room, he starts up, woot, meep, poweet, until I give him some attention.
Boden has a pitiful meow that I hear often when preparing food, mine or the kitties. It has gotten him samples of everything I cook with that is safe for him. I'm an easy touch! :p

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to be a quiet household, until Graham came along. Now everybody seems to have learned to be vocal, except for Barley who has this raspy meow accompanied with a soft paw tap, and only when he needs something. Such a good boy, he is!

Bourbon used to be a quiet cat and now she yells at me when she wants to be carried outside for a stroll.

And Graham - this is the first time I have ever had a cat that is so vocal in all aspects. She shrieks, chirps, meows, thrills, yells - anything just to get our attention. Most times we also have one full conversation and it is so endearing when she talks back at me each time I ask her something. She also complains about anything - from a toy that she cannot reach to the birds outside that she cannot touch.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have talkers. A couple of singers too. Banjo likes to sing as you wanders the house. Just for the pleasure. She also calls me if something needs rescuing, like a lizard. Lady calls to any other creature outside. It’s funniest when she stands at the door with a stuffed toy in her mouth that she hopes to share. Thrasher talks to any toy she is playing with. BJ is our watch cat and calls me if any perceived threat is outside. He also calls the other cats to retreat to safety. Purry has a Siamese voice and he talks a lot! About everything! Whistle makes a sound that I can only describe as a whistle. He also says, haaaaaaam. Lol He has a very distinctive way of meowing. We have the full spectrum of voices here. Little mews from giant Bonjure. He thinks he is still a tiny kitten. The list goes on! It’s a choir of cat voices.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 talkers and one pretty silent.
Mooshoo is funny, she sits in a box on a table by a window in my kitchen when I am in the kitchen and when she wants scratchies she gives a certain meow that ends on a high note and bobs her head up. "Rawr-arrr????"
'br
Waffles tells me it's time to get up in the morning with "RAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" Or when I'm late feeding them.

Gracie is Siamese so she's quite the talker. We have long conversations with all kinds of meows when I wake up in the morning and at bedtime at night. She alternately sounds pitiful, questioning, makes statements, complains, and comments on the progress of space exploration and good recipes.

to wow-wows (Burdock, just before he hacks up a hairball).
N NY cat man Gracie does this too!! "Wow-wow-wow-wow..." before hairball or barf of any kind (thankfully it's not that often.) If I get there in time to stick a towel under her I can avoid cleaning up the floor or my bed. But in the middle of the night it's a rude awakening.

Ziggy is quiet, and has just started to greet me with meows. She says "brrcowwww...."