Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 28

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Hope everyone is having a fiiiiinneee Tuesday!

What cat stereotype bothers/frustrates you the most?

I would have to say, when people think or assume cats don't give a damn about their owners, remaining indifferent and aloof while only caring about food and would "just eat your face" once you die. Mayhaps if there is actual effort to engage with them, while willingly figuring out their unique character, one would find most cats are very loving and aware (don't need to go into more detail with you TCS members on this fact!)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still meet people that believe all those old wives tales about cats, the one that bothers me the most is that a cat will suck the breathe out of a baby and kill it. My mother in law even told me that and said she saw it! I told her I don't know what she was smoking but it wasn't even physically possible! Then I explained it could be possible that a cat would lay across a baby's face, or may be licking the formula from a baby's mouth, but she swore she saw a cat 'sucking' the breathe from a baby.   How can people really believe this stuff?!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always heard that a cat will lay close to a baby because they are gravitating to a warm place.  

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have always heard that a cat will lay close to a baby because they are gravitating to a warm place.  
This makes sense but they could also be loving and guarding the baby.

I hate that people even scientists say cats don't really love us that they hang around just for food. I think that is crap and I consider myself a scientist.

I may be wrong but I do think they love us. I am in pleasant denial of the scientific claims.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This makes sense but they could also be loving and guarding the baby.

I hate that people even scientists say cats don't really love us that they hang around just for food. I think that is crap and I consider myself a scientist.

I may be wrong but I do think they love us. I am in pleasant denial of the scientific claims.
Well it wouldn't be the first time scientists were wrong.  I'll go with my anecdotal evidence! 

All the myths regarding babies and cats are what irk me the most.  Probably because I'm a parent.  No one was dumb enough to suggest i give up my furbabies because my kids were on the way; thankfully.  I'm sure most people who know me knew how that conversation would end.  With some educating of course! 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That you can't figure out what they want or think.  In otherwords, not communicative or affectionate.

Which is crazy.  I can always tell when both of mine want/need something - be it food, water, playtime, etc.  And both, are loving in their own special ways just like us humans are.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also so tired of hearing garbage like this.  The only way anyone will learn just how wonderful and fulfilling it is to share your life with a cat is to actually live with one.  Until then these people should just shut the heck up.  They don't know a darn thing.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that they put dog or human expectations on cats expressions of affection.

They are different creatures!!! My baby brings/hunts me snacks every day in the form of her wand toys. She moves these super long wand toys up and down the stairs to wherever I am and plops it at my feet. If that is not an expression of love I dunno what is. The effort to carry those toys is vast and her reward is me saying good girl and ty that is it. She ensures my roomie gets one at her door as well.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate people who just generalize and say "I hate cats". It's true that you have to live with a cat to really appreciate these amazing creatures. These idiots just don't know what they are missing. I'll take my 3 kitties over a lot of friends human children. We get more love from our cats than some of these people do from their 2 legged kids.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm also so tired of hearing garbage like this.  The only way anyone will learn just how wonderful and fulfilling it is to share your life with a cat is to actually live with one.  Until then these people should just shut the heck up.  They don't know a darn thing.
Right on! I never liked cats until I started feeding some ferals. I adopted 8 of them and brought them inside. I fell in love with each and every one of them. They were just so full of love.

Ellen

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That only males spray. So so so incorrect. As we all in TCS know by now, both genders can and WILL spray.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate people who just generalize and say "I hate cats". It's true that you have to live with a cat to really appreciate these amazing creatures. These idiots just don't know what they are missing. I'll take my 3 kitties over a lot of friends human children. We get more love from our cats than some of these people do from their 2 legged kids.
Totally agree.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have to say, when people think or assume cats don't give a damn about their owners, remaining indifferent and aloof while only caring about food and would "just eat your face" once you die. 
This one too, and that dog people are warm and affectionate, while only cold and unsociable people have cats.

Maybe the reason cat people are cold and unsociable towards them is because of their judgmental stereotyping. If a dog person actually says that to my face, I'll tell them, "Cat people also aren't insecure and need to have a creature to worship them every time they come home, all day." Two can play this game.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This one too, and that dog people are warm and affectionate, while only cold and unsociable people have cats.

Maybe the reason cat people are cold and unsociable towards them is because of their judgmental stereotyping. If a dog person actually says that to my face, I'll tell them, "Cat people also aren't insecure and need to have a creature to worship them every time they come home, all day." Two can play this game.
I'm.  So.  Tired.  Of.  That.

And my retorts have been very similar to these types!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it is true that you have to live with a cat and grow to appreciate and love them.  I never hated cats but I didn't really connect with them until I lived with them.  I grew up on a farm so there were always barn cats some of which were sociable and I could pet them.  That's not the same as living with cats.