Question Of The Day - Tuesday, October 10

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday!

What is the most embarrassing thing you have ever worn?

I've had normal little everyday embarrassing wardrobe moments, from frumpy outfits at the worst timing to bad hair, not really worth noting.

But I reckon the most memorable....

I was in a play for a theater competition in HS, where we traveled out of town for it. The play took place in the 80's, and our director told us to get ready in the morning for a rehearsal. So I got my hair did, but the girl didn't do a very good job (Frizzy, matted etc.) bad even for the style at the time. Had gawdy makeup done, put on the costume etc. which was pretty musty smelling.

Because of my role I had the most eccentric looking outfit. Everyone else looked fairly decent, and some of the other girls even looked charming and cute.

Anyway, long story short, our rehearsal time was changed up on us, and our director didn't want us to remove our attire. Plus, when other school groups were rehearsing, we weren't allowed to be around the stage or theater area.

So I had to spend the entire day, until 7 pm, out and about, looking similar to this, albeit also a bit more frumpy....

And the icing on the cake is that I also to happen to run into a boys hockey team, a group of Japanese foreign exchange students who came to see the plays AND there was a firefighters convention nearby.

I just had a lowly old paint stained sweater jacket to protect me :tongue:

Not the end of the world of course, but to a 16 year old....:lol: it was all like "OH COME ON!" I was so self conscious and embarrassed throughout.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take a look at the hair on the guy on the right, change it to platinum blonde and that was a look I sported back in the glorious 80's. The days when Aqua Net extra super hold hairspray ruled the earth. :lol: I still have my old teasing comb that I used to get my hair to skyscraping heights. It would be that or the Dorothy Hamill hairdo I sported in 1980 or so. It was cute on Dorothy but I looked like someone put a salad bowl on my head and cut around it.

Clothes? in the early 70's I sported plaid pants with flowered shirts and stuff like that but MOM picked those ensembles out- not me.. :running::help:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
in grammer school I used to wear these girls blouses-plaid with a bowtie at the neck..got picked on because I was wearing boys clothes..truth is they were GIRLS. but I still wore it because mom picked them out..I wasn't crazy about them but hey it's what I had to wear..they came from Ames.

I hated clothes styles in the 80s and 90s..they wore skinny jeans and my legs were always big muscular soccer legs-so I used to wear mens silvertab jeans...they were the only ones with enough room in thigh area..I still have that problem..lol. I tried every hairspray there was-I liked the poof on the front of our heads with bangs and never could get my hair to curl...super STRAIGHT THICK hair...curler didn't work either. or perms..one perm at 7 was like kinky dog hair..I hated it..got picked on...good thing only took a week or so to wash out-perms wash out on week 3 for me. I always wore crazy patterns and colors..one outfit was bright pink llbean hiking boots, blue colored tights with splotches of color and cut off shorts with similar bizarre shirt-always collar shirt..to this day I LOVE my collar shirts...hmmm a bit of a weirdo?! YES! I AM!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been a fashion plate but when I was in my late 40s or early 50s I decided to try a more modern hairstyle. The Little Orphan Annie look with tight curls was the big thing so I decided on it. My hairdresser dutifully put a curly perm in my hair. It was slow to take, so she kept processing it longer and longer. When it was done I had curls but they looked like dry springs of straw. They stuck out all over and were so brittle I was constantly shedding. There was nothing I could do. Conditioner just created shiny dry springs that broke. That perm went all the way to the roots and was not going to grow out any time soon.

I had to teach motorcycle class while I was like this. The mess itched, too, because my scalp was crispy. There I stood in front of the class, scratching and raining bits of hair. It was disgusting. One of my students used to be a hairdresser, and she brought me something that reduced the shedding to a small shower. She even offered to cut my hair. Unfortunately, professional conduct didn't allow me to take her up on her offer. I spent the next six months getting my hair trimmed every month, but it looked mangy until it was totally gone. I've never gotten a perm since.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It would be that or the Dorothy Hamill hairdo I sported in 1980 or so.
I had the Dorothy Hamill hairdo and loved it, made me want to go ice skating. :wink: It was so easy to style too.

I tried every hairspray there was-I liked the poof on the front of our heads with bangs and never could get my hair to curl...super STRAIGHT THICK hair...curler didn't work either.
I had the opposite problem, all through high school I wanted perfectly straight hair. Instead I had thick wavy hair with lots and lots of volume.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hm, I don't think there's anything I'm really embarrassed of. There are things that were the fashion at the time but the fad has passed, or things that aren't my style anymore... but people change and get older, and if I liked it at the time, then that's fine.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been embarrassed about anything I wore. It was always mostly jeans. Depending on the era, bellbottoms, hip huggers or at my grandmothers cattle ranch it was overhalls (lots of pockets for tools). Usually a tee shirt and a hat.
Basically nothing has changed. Still wear mostly jeans, tee and a hat.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a tight curly perm. No one like it but I did. My hair is super fine and won't hold a curl. With the perm all I had to do was wash it and go. I thought it looked pretty good. I got laught at a few times from strangers.

Muffy