Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 23

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to look up what slang is outdated, so that probably means everything I say is outdated. According to this list I found here are the slang terms I use that are outdated: Take a chill pill, Chill out, dude (I frequently say this to my animals), whatever, my bad.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, happy birthday!
As someone in his mid-70s, people just look at me funny whenever I use any slang terms, such as geezer, codger, old fogey- you get my drift. I use a lot of terms that are archaic by contemporary standards, but I don't especially care.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Well hey! How are you celebrating it?

Iā€™ve inherited so many random ones from my dad I donā€™t have any of my own. DEFINiTELY

Far freakin out
Whatā€™s the skinny
Iceboxā€”- I always say ā€œicebox,ā€ not ā€œrefrigerator.ā€
Plus all his kid camp songs & stories from the 1930s.

Mom was always quoting poetry & Shakespeare, so, that, plus oddities from her favorite comic strips, Pogo and Krazy Kat.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane I have memories from my childhood, of an actual ice box in my aunt's summer cottage in the first few years that we would spend our summers there. Ice man delivered - was it maybe 3 or possibly just 2 times a week. So it's likely that whatever I say is outdated.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since when was "cool" outdated?
My problem is that I play a lot of video games with my friends from Hawaii and Australia, so the slang I pick up is probably not outdated. It's also not family friendly. I try to be really careful when I'm in public.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane I have memories from my childhood, of an actual ice box in my aunt's summer cottage in the first few years that we would spend our summers there. Ice man delivered - was it maybe 3 or possibly just 2 times a week. So it's likely that whatever I say is outdated.
When I was a kid my grandfather's had an ice box. i don't know what current slang is, but one thing i had to look up was "ship.' I was seeing it a lot in a FB forum Im in, as in "I ship John and Mary." found out it means a relationship you would like to see.

I guess I use cool, bummer, awesome, who knows what else.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would guess most slang. Since my kids arenā€™t in a typical school they donā€™t bring much home for me to pick up. Iā€™m not complaining about missing the ā€œbruhā€ or ā€œbaeā€ phases. I donā€™t know why but those two were especially irritating.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess most slang. Since my kids arenā€™t in a typical school they donā€™t bring much home for me to pick up. Iā€™m not complaining about missing the ā€œbruhā€ or ā€œbaeā€ phases. I donā€™t know why but those two were especially irritating.
Don't forget "Bro" every other word.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since when was "cool" outdated?
:yeah:....and same with, Dude, awesome, bummer, chill and buddy....these are outdated now?!?!?!

I also still use, old timer ones like Fogey and Geezer. I'll assume that MILF and cougar are out of date as well. I still use kerfuffle quite a bit, I just love that word!. Same as the term "playing hooky", goober, shindig, spaz, gnarly, stoked, preppy, aiight, sup....most of these I tend to use when I'm feeling playful in a greeting of a person I'm close to, or in a certain situation, not necessarily in everyday conversation and it also depends on who I'm talking to...

Is calling someone "fancy pants" or any other descriptive word with pants on the end still used??? I do that a lot.
Same with giving a nickname to someone with "McGee" on the end...like Spazzy McGee, Sneezzy McGee, Cutie McGee etc...Is that outdated too???

Tobermory

ā€œWhat greater gift than the love of a cat.ā€
Staff Member
Purraise
Every time I hear ā€œgroovy,ā€ I think of ā€œWild Thingā€ by the Troggs from the mid-60s. Oh, and my English professor in the early ā€˜70s who said it all of the time. We used to roll our eyes. :lol: