Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 7

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello! Happy first Tuesday of March!

Have you ever had a wild animal enter your home?

For accidental occurrences, so far only Swallows and Starlings have made their way completely inside the house. During the spring and early summer they have a little habit of making a nest on top of the two chimneys - which is all well and good but mom or dad have a tendency to fall or drop through the chimney sweep and end up stuck in my fireplace lol Which of course I have to open the door to let them out then proceed to catch them as they floof around the rooms. Thankfully, no actual babies have fallen.

For a more planned version, when I was a child my parents did bring home an orphaned baby fawn and took care of it for about a week (They were volunteers at a local wildlife sanctuary. Everything was by the book, rest assured)

cat-bird.gif

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes; two years ago I smelled something funny in the basement, and a thorough search revealed a skunk in a crawl space off of the main part. I used wire mesh to block off the area, then used repellent to convince it to leave the same way it had gotten in. There was also the time a squirrel got in the attic of our previous apartment.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing other than the occasional mouse or vole that make their way into the house in the fall as they search for somewhere warm to spend winter.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
When our cats were indoor/outdoor and were younger and still doing a lot of hunting, we had lots of involuntary visitors, dead and alive--squirrels, raccoons, rats, :cringe: snakes, birds of all sizes from hummingbirds to blue jays, and even a bat once. I used to keep a 'Mouse Box' at the ready--a big cardboard box with a lid so I could capture critters and get them back outside.

Thankfully those days are over. Ozzy is our last cat and he's indoor only these days. The only visitors we get is an occasional cricket that might get in--not exactly wild animals. :lol:

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
several years back after i moved to michigan , we had a vole or something come into the apartment and the cats patted it to death lol

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Entering of their own accord wise, hummingbirds & bats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We had a very large male raccoon get in the attic of our last house. 🦝 He pulled back the blade of a whole house fan and made himself at home.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a bird come down our woodstove once. Noodles alerted us something was there before I heard it. DH got a special screen to put over the entrance but under the cap so it never happened again.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just grass snakes, came up through the radiator from the cellar into the living room! They aren't poisonous. And mice. We've had birds, squirrels, chipmunks, bats in the breezeway and garage.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a mouse come in once. It's more common for small lizards to come in. The girls don't do anything. They just look at the intruder and then at me like, "Are you going to do something about that? We sure aren't. That's your job."

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aside from mice (rare, and the cats usually alert us to it), my parents had a family of raccoons set up house in one of their chimneys. It's also how I learned racoons won't crap in the same place they live. The other fireplace, as it turned out, was their toilet :(

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The usual mice and voles, but the only interesting animal was a chipmunk that somehow got into my bedroom when I was 12. I was in the middle of cleaning my bird's cage in the center of the room when all of a sudden some little critter did several loops around me. My dad tried catching it but he ended up killing it with my box of Barbies. I never played with Barbies again.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I had a tree snake slither out from under a stack of yoga mats many years ago.. no idea how it got there.. they are harmless and very beautiful.. I watched it slither across the yoga room floor and out the back door as though it hardly touched the floor.
And I used to have a three-legged blue-tongue that would come in to check out the cat food.
Two magpies are prone to hopping in if I accidentally leave the door open.
Loads of geckos and once a beautiful green tree frog took up residence in the shower.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squirrels, raccoons, a bird, a gardner snake, a mole and many feral cats. Eight of the cats stayed to make it their forever home.