Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 16

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salutations! And happy early Saint Patrick's Day to everyone ☘☘☘

So to connect with the theme a little bit....

Cats in folklore; Do you have a favourite mythical cat or mythical/legend cat story?

(From anywhere around the world, of course)

While searching for a name for Batbat (My little black kitty I adopted last March) I stumbled upon Cat-sìth from Celtic Mythology, the fairy creature that is the shape of a black cat with a white spot that haunts the Scottish Highlands. There is also a story associated with it called "The King of the Cats". I didn't grant Batbat the name, but I wouldn't have any qualms about leaving little bowls of milk for this little specter lol. Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The Cheshire Cat has always fascinated me with it's folklore.
He's well known for his mischievous grin as he mysteriously disappears. I learned that the famous expression "grinning like a Cheshire Cat" predates the story of Alice & Wonderland. It has many theories, including a popular one told by the people of Cheshire about countless dairy farms - evidently the cats in Cheshire grin because of the abundance of milk and cream. 😸

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Could I have a tiger?
Dawon is ridden by Durga and helps her to slay demons.
I'm a big fan.

dawon.jpeg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
There is this story about the Beckoning Cat in Japan. It said to have saved a feudal lord from a lightning strike and from then on became a symbol of success and happiness.