Question Of The Day - Tuesday, June 27

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello hello!

Ever had a bad haircut/colour? If so, what was it?

Worst colouring is when I was transition from red hair to blonde (my natural colour) and my hair turned green :lol: I was around 18.

Thankfully the only bad haircut I had was when I was around 5 and decided to cut my own bangs :paperbag: left behind a fuzzy hairless forehead.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm blonde. I tried going red many years ago. It did not take - faded and washed out within a few weeks which made it look terrible.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had two bad perms. It was years ago and my hair was dried and kinky for months. I never had my hair dyed. I did cut my own hair when I was little. I really need to get the gray out of my hair. I just don't like the idea of going to the beauty shop so often. I'm the only one I know that does not dye my hair.

Muffy

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut in the 70's. It was cute on Dorothy. On Me? It looked like someone put a salad bowl on my head and cut around it. :nervous:

My friend went to cosmetology school when we were in HS. She dyed my hair many colors back then. The worst was platinum blonde. This was in the late 80's hair band days so it was teased up to the sky and had enough Aqua Net extra super hold hairspray in it to withstand the winds of an F5 tornado. It would not have moved an inch. We used to buy that stuff by the case! Sorry ozone layer.... :paperbag::running:

She also did a "reverse frosting" on me. Instead of doing light streaking on dark hair, she streaked my light brown hair with black. It was... different. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut in the 70's.
OMG, me too! And in college we used to have hair frosting parties, i.e. we'd make a big batch of color in a mixing size bowl and have lots of aluminum foil strips, the more the merrier.:crackup:

But my worse haircut was after my oldest child was born. I needed a pick me up and my husband's cousin opened a beauty shop with a partner. I thought I would get a great cut but instead I came out looking like Liza Minelli, not that there's anything wrong with her hair but it was totally unflattering on me. :paperbag:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. I had short hair once, and I loved the way it was styled, with rivers of curls all over. So I went to get a trim with a new hair dresser, and boy, did she cut it short in the back. I was sick about it, so I called the salon to tell them my hair had been cut too short. They were very apologetic and said to come right back and they would fix it. I was dubious - what were they going to do? Glue the hair back on? But I went, and what did they do? They cut it even shorter!:argh:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to dye my hair all the time when younger but I ruined my hair with Sun-In a little over ten years ago. After a while of using it I'd left myself with a tangled dry mess. And then I went travelling that summer. A real on-the-cheap backpacking experience and during it my hair literally turned into one big giant knot. I had to ask one of the hostel's landladies for a scissors one night and had no choice but to just go at it and chop it all off - and then wait to get some sort of proper cut into it once back from holidays. It was an absolute mess. That's the closest I've ever been to having boy short hair and let me tell you it did not suit me!

I have very thin hair now still and I blame that experience.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was in eighth grade, my mother decided to take me for a "trim". When we got to the salon, she told the woman to take it all off. Well, it took Mom and another stylist to hold me down, while the second stylist cut my hair. When they were done, I had no bangs...my hair was that short. Whaddya know, I had ears....there they were. She shaved the back of my head at my neck. That's how short it was.

We got home and Dad looked at me, shook his head, and walked away. He and Mom didn't talk for two weeks. Oh sure, they yelled. Loudly. But they didn't talk. Dad wanted to buy me a wig and he didn't care about the cost. Mom wouldn't allow it. I walked up to the bus stop; Rick was furious, not at me, at my mother. Do you know how cruel it is to do something like that to a young teenager? Dear god, kids can be cruel. And I had to have my eighth-grade school picture taken that way. I think I went at least three months without talking to my mother any more than I absolutely had to. And she didn't understand why I was being "mean" to her.

My mother was a very cruel person in a lot of ways. To this day I will not wear my hair short. That experience really scarred me for life.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I dyed my hair what I thought would be a light red. I didn't realize my hair had a lot of natural red in it. It came out glow-in-the-dark red. Depending on what I was wearing, I looked like either a fire plug or a stop light. That was the one time my hair grew slowly.

Back in the early '90s when the Orphan Annie look was in, I decided I wanted that look. I had a perm put in but it took forever to set a curl. For the first few days I had the desired curls. Then they dissolved into a frizzy mess that broke off from overprocessing. I looked like a dog with mange. A student gave me some high-powered beauty shop stuff that helped a bit, but it took me many months to get rid of the mess.

My husband cut my bangs - once. I needn't tell you how that came out!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never dyed my hair so thankfully I have no horror stories there!

My worst haircut wasn't my fault at all. I was 8 or 9 and my mother decided we should have matching haircuts. I called it "a boy cut." Today I guess we'd call it a pixie cut with a perm. So it was short but longer towards the top and permed. I still can't believe my mother did that to me. :lol: I've never had short hair since. My hair is thick; short hair just gets bushy on me. Perm or not!

Now that I think of it.... My Grandmother's hair wasn't all that different either! :eek2:

I think that bad hair style is the main reason I have never wanted to dye my hair. It takes too long to change some things.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I once dyed my hair Tropical Green with purple streaks in it. NOT a bad hair colour, I actually really liked it. (but I was at art college then and I could get away with it)

My first hair cut was my worst. I used to have waist length hair and for some reason my mother decided to cut it. I think it was more of a punishment for something I'd done than for conveniences sake. I can't remember all the details now.

She cut it into a horrible fringed bob. I was mortified, cried for hours and refused to go to school for the rest of the week.

:confused:

I've kept it long ever since.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes -- every hair cut i've ever had by 'professionals'. between the never looking good on me styles and the perms (everything about them -- the stink of the solutions, the burning my scalp sensation, etc), i finally decided to just trim my hair myself. i bought a pair of electric trimmers, and that's what i've done now for about 6 years. prior to trimming my own hair, i'd switched to going to a barber shop and they did a very good job!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trim and color my own hair, have never had a bad experience there, I can't yell at myself, I don't listen! I started coloring my hair years ago when my mother in law stopped coloring hers. That gray made her look 20 years older and I vowed I would never look like that. I keep putting off when I should stop coloring it, first it was 50, then 60, now I'm aiming for 70.
The worst experience I ever had was a perm back in the early 80's It was supposed to be a 'body wave'. I was sitting there with the solution and curlers in my hair and they kept cutting the next person's hair. I finally said 'excuse me, shouldn't this be rinsed out?' They turned and looked and actually jumped when they saw me, I knew I was in trouble. My shoulder length hair was frizzed above my ears, I looked like I had a blond afro! I cried for a week, they didn't charge me but ruined my year! My husband sent flowers to work with a get well card!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I trim and color my own hair, have never had a bad experience there, I can't yell at myself, I don't listen! I started coloring my hair years ago when my mother in law stopped coloring hers. That gray made her look 20 years older and I vowed I would never look like that. I keep putting off when I should stop coloring it, first it was 50, then 60, now I'm aiming for 70.
The worst experience I ever had was a perm back in the early 80's It was supposed to be a 'body wave'. I was sitting there with the solution and curlers in my hair and they kept cutting the next person's hair. I finally said 'excuse me, shouldn't this be rinsed out?' They turned and looked and actually jumped when they saw me, I knew I was in trouble. My shoulder length hair was frizzed above my ears, I looked like I had a blond afro! I cried for a week, they didn't charge me but ruined my year! My husband sent flowers to work with a get well card!
My grandma dyed her hair until she passed at 94. I'll be following her lead.

I remember the body wave. I had one back in the 80's as well. I don't know why as my hair is naturally very wavy bordering on curly.

I color and trim my own hair too. Wavy hair is more forgiving than some other kinds as far as cuts go.