Question Of The Day - Tuesday, January 8

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings Everyone! Happy Tuesday! :hellocomputer:Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

Do you have "work speech" or lingo/slang, words of expertise, definitions etc no one else outside of your current or former workplace would understand if you talk to them with it or about it?

For example:

I teach ballet - pretty straight forward for other folks who know dance, but outside of that world, if I start saying "Tombe Pas de bourrée glissade assemblé" "Turn out" "Alrighty next dégagé with piqué and envelopé end with petit batterie" "Tuck in your butt" "Tighten that fifth please" "En face" "Elongate the neck with shoulders down" and so forth and so forth really gets people lost.

Frappé...not a coffee in my mind :lol:

And this pretty much sums up other tidbits that genuinely do sound strange if I casually and naturally say them out loud to non-dancers without realizing....

How about you?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Disneyland has a whole work lingo. We used a lot of codes on radio and even talking to each other. A lot of standard radio code like 10-4 to acknowledge but also radio codes for everything else that could upset someone overhearing it. Things like you need security, trouble guest but not security, alcohol pickup, knife pickup, lost child, vomit cleanup, etc. There was also terminology for things like costume (uniform), backstage (the area where guests don't go), onstage (when a guest can see you or they go), and guest (visitor) are the most common. Disney loves acronyms so there are dozens of those for different programs, places and policies around the parks.

In my current job, we have some terminology that wouldn't make sense outside of the industry and sometimes doesn't even make sense in the same industry but working a different region. Mostly what they call stuff instead of the technical terms. A statment like, "We are going to need the Ferris Wheel for this project to lay the CIC so schedule it with the yard. Remind the guys at the far end to use all their tacos and I don't want to see anyone bare. And they have to transfer the comm and pull the butt. No buddies allowed by the city. Let civil know they will have to replace the pad when done, no patch." Which is telling them what equipment to bring and what the parameters of the work are. Tacos are safety blankets to prevent crews from brushing live wire. Ferris Wheel is a type of wire reel. Butt and buddy both refer to when an electric pole is replaced but the old pole bottom is left for the communication company to come out and transfer their equipment at a later time.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked for an environmental company, we had a lot, like LUST. That's not passion, but a leaking underground storage tank. And at a hospital, there are lots, like NGO (not by mouth) and codes (blue, not breathing; red, fire; white, life-threatening situation called by a volunteer).

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a Navy hospital corpsman, over 50 years ago, we had an argot all our own- much of it vile, obscene, and unprintable. As a heavy equipment mechanic, there was another language entirely, but much of it was, also, vile, obscene, and unprintable.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a stay at home mom with 2 special needs kids, so I probably have some lingo that others might not understand. Just today I was talking about gross motor imitation, transposing numbers, phonemic awareness, and motor planning.

Before that, I was a paralegal working in bankruptcy and talked 341 hearings, secured/unsecured creditors, motions to dismiss, objections, discharge, etc.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I teach prek so I know all about transposing numbers, phonemic awareness, spacial awareness...etc. We also have a set group of phrases that seem benign that we use over the PA system to alert staff about different situations. For example, if I said "Please remind your parents to volunteer!" I am actually alerting them that our licensing agent is in the building. If I announced "Don't forget about Dr. Seuss!" I am telling them to go on lock down immediately. To the general population, they merely seem like reminder notices.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of them at the library. To name a few: EHL (Expired Hold List), RPL (Request Pull List), snags (AV items that get returned without a disc), ILL (interlibrary loan). There a bunch more but I can't think of them right now.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I teach prek so I know all about transposing numbers, phonemic awareness, spacial awareness...etc. We also have a set group of phrases that seem benign that we use over the PA system to alert staff about different situations. For example, if I said "Please remind your parents to volunteer!" I am actually alerting them that our licensing agent is in the building. If I announced "Don't forget about Dr. Seuss!" I am telling them to go on lock down immediately. To the general population, they merely seem like reminder notices.
Those are interesting! We just say "we're initiating a lockdown 1" (or 2). Nothing cute. But our school goes up to 8th grade, sp maybe that's why?

We've been using acronyms from this differentiation book we're using as a school, like OSCAR and CARR check. Action plans amd restorative agreements in our restorative justice thing. Not everyone knows what I'm talking about when I mention ClassDojo. There are others - some educational terms are universal to school settings, but schools do have their own lingo, too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Used to be in the airline industry and they definitely had their own language
AOG - a aircraft on the ground with a mechanical problem - a very bad thing
Turn - flying in passengers, picking up passengers and flying out in short order
RON - remain overnight. Dropping off passengers and not flying out til the next day.
Tails or lift - planes

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have to document everything at the shelter, not only in each animal's file, but also in a logbook so each shift can see what the other shifts did. In addition, we have a WhatsApp group for the primary caretakers to keep everybody up to date on the latest vet diagnosis, prescribed meds, etc.. That leads to us using a lot of acronyms or abbreviations in order to save time and space.

That wasn't so much the case while I was teaching, though we did tend to refer to certain textbooks or teaching materials by author or color, rather than title, and to have code words to describe student behavior.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hose are interesting! We just say "we're initiating a lockdown 1" (or 2). Nothing cute. But our school goes up to 8th grade, sp maybe that's why?
The idea behind Dr. Seuss was that if there ever was a situation going on in the building the announcement would not be understood by the individual(s) that were causing it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
As a Navy hospital corpsman, over 50 years ago, we had an argot all our own- much of it vile, obscene, and unprintable. As a heavy equipment mechanic, there was another language entirely, but much of it was, also, vile, obscene, and unprintable.
HA!!!! This made my day! :flail::clap::thanks:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The idea behind Dr. Seuss was that if there ever was a situation going on in the building the announcement would not be understood by the individual(s) that were causing it.
That makes sense!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I work in Special Education and we are constantly abbreviating different terminology. Some examples are: IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act), BIP (Behavior Intervention Plan), IEP (Individualized Education Plan), LRE (Least Restrictive Environment), just to name a few.