Question of the day: Tuesday, April 23

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We ALL need a Hannah!
She works beautifully! She really does! There's nothing for my ear.....everything is in the car. When my cell rings, it goes right into the system in the car. I have to hit a button and that's it. Say "Hello?" and start talking. When the call is done, I simply hit END and that's that. And really, there's no difference between hitting the END button and hitting a button for a radio station.

I read in the newspaper, though, that our wonderful Congress is thinking about even making hands-free phones illegal. Somebody asked how would the police know if the driver was actually talking on the phone or singing along to music? (And I do that, too.....sing along to music when I drive.) Supposedly they're trying to come up with a gizmo that will enable the police to know exactly what you're doing (singing or talking).

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its illegal here to be on your phone texting or talking, punishable with jail time yet it still doesnt bother people it isnt to much of a put off though.  I hate seeing people on the phone while driving and around where I live its the women and van drivers that are the worst.  When I had a car my phone was put on silent once I got in the car and checked once I had got to where I needed

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with everything above.

I also think they should make cars refuse to start if your phone is turned on. Just for extra safety and reduce temptation to even look at the phone

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living on a resort island, I see all kinds of stupid drivers. Why people think that simply turning on a blinker means that they can cut people off in order to switch lanes and etc. is beyond me. My other favorite? Bicyclists. Brave, that bunch. They'll ride out in front of you from the sidewalk and look offended that you didn't jump out if your car to run up and shake their hand for visiting this place. But cell phones? I have needed my cell phone quite a few times. I've been lost trying to find a clinical site, had a prof/instructor need to call me to come back to school about something, etc. I'm not texting, it's talk or nothing.

When I worked under a PI, being able to call in the Calvary literally saved my life. The guy chasing me was determined NOT to go back to prison.

I understand what the OP and others are talking about though, I've shared my thoughts on how people drive and text or talk before. However, the stupidity I see daily without cell phones kind of makes it seem mild in comparison? Either way I'm all for fines but not DUI status. Law enforcement can sure abuse fines at times.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She works beautifully! She really does! There's nothing for my ear.....everything is in the car. When my cell rings, it goes right into the system in the car. I have to hit a button and that's it. Say "Hello?" and start talking. When the call is done, I simply hit END and that's that. And really, there's no difference between hitting the END button and hitting a button for a radio station.

I read in the newspaper, though, that our wonderful Congress is thinking about even making hands-free phones illegal. Somebody asked how would the police know if the driver was actually talking on the phone or singing along to music? (And I do that, too.....sing along to music when I drive.) Supposedly they're trying to come up with a gizmo that will enable the police to know exactly what you're doing (singing or talking).
To answer the other post about Hannah-type cars: many new cars nowdays allow you to program your cell phone into them. My Subaru Impreza does (haven't doneit yet!) and DH's Jeep Liberty also has this feature. However, DH says it's not very good reception (his Mom uses hers all of the time, and it's a family joke--we can't understand her most of the time!)

Pam, I agree with you about the silliness of the proposed law about hands-free usage. It's no different than chatting to your passengers (at least no drivers will turn their head around to chat with the cell phone, thereby taking their eyes of the road!).  DH is a truck driver, and this is how he calls me for important stuff he needs to relay. We don't chat much; it's mostly important info. I also used to have a little gadget than stuck on the dashboard to hold my cell phone in order to make it hands-free. That being said, I only used is twice!  I just make it habit not to use the hands-on cell while driving, unless I pull over.

And I also sing in the car!  And about the police gizmo (of which I resent the intrusion into our lives, BTW, but that's another post): people talk to themselves while driving. I usually curse in Spanish to myself while driving with the idiots around here! Seriously, I've also done it to stay alert when tired--so does hubby. Yes, I know one shouldn't drive when really tired, but sometimes, you just have to--and I find than saying witty remarks about other drivers to myself keeps me alert and a good driver.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My brother's Malibu is equipped with the cell interface.  I usually swear in Gashta or lapine at stupid drivers.