Question of the day: Tues. Nov. 15 2011

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late arrival, but, here's your question:

Do you have any Christmas "traditions"? something special you and yours do every year, Religious, non religious, etc.

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Santa Mouse always leaves a present in the tree. It usually shows up a day after Christmas and is always wrapped in yellow. This was based on a book when I was little. Might have been called Santa Mouse...something. It's cute and the gift is always pretty random

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really.

When I was a kid we used to go to my uncle's house every Christmas for dinner after opening gifts at home and with the grandparents (they'd come over before going to my uncle's). My cousin and I used to put on "performances" singing and dancing :lol3:

This year we are going to have Christmas with my grandma in NJ - first time we've had Christmas together since 2003.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to stay over at Mom's every year Christmas Eve, but that changed with all of the drama last year. I am still not sure what this year holds, but I would really like for Dana and I to start our own traditions.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just have a quiet Christmas eve and day. No stress just us and the kids. The kids open one gift Christmas Eve. In the morning DH makes coffee, we open stockings the gifts. DH makes his delicious Belgian waffles with strawberries and whip cream. We just hang out and play with the kids DH usually takes the kids snowmobiling or sliding while I get the turkey ready.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to hide out on the holidays. Just because I get crazy annoyed with certain people have a ME complex and not being considerate to others. We have to do a TON of traveling on holidays so they stopped being fun for me and have become a source of stress. Especially since someone is ALWAYS having issues with someone else so it makes it more stressful.

My favorite thing is waking up though and it just being me and Df and the kids and since Im always first up I make sure I wake EVERYONE up and say Merry Christmas and give lots of hugs and kisses especially to Df cuz it annoys him. LOL But its special for the kitties and Franklin because I really try and make sure that they all get lots of hugs and kisses for Christmas, plus we get them all presents. Its that time of the day before we have to start running around that makes me happiest.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When my parents still had their home, we three kids and our families would all go home on Christmas Eve. We had a huge buffet dinner that my mother and I would make together. And then we would open gifts and then just sit around and talk. It was wonderful. After they downsized, Mom didn't want to bother with it anymore, so we just stopped it. I do miss that. My sister and I were talking about that the other night and we'd love to try to do it again, but my brother and SIL have their own Eve now.

Now Rick usually takes his mom to church on Christmas Eve and while they're gone, I make a special little dinner for just Rick and me. He and I open one present on Christmas Eve; the rest have to wait until the next morning.

Our kids alternate Christmas Days between her parents and us. When they come to us on Christmas Day, it's always special, but even on the "off" years when they'll come on the following weekend, it's still really nice. Rick parents and their beagle also visit with us for the day. I make a stuffed crown roast of pork and all the sides and desserts for our dinner.....the crown roast has become part of our tradition now. Our son says it's not Christmas without the crown roast.

If it's an "off" year with our kids, then our Christmas dinner will be the weekend they visit with us. So then on Christmas, we'll have a nice brunch instead of a huge dinner. Sometimes friends will come in to have brunch with us and that makes it a lot of fun. And then we have a nice, quiet day.

Something that I used to do and that my sister and I may start doing again......for years, I made enough sticky buns that everybody in the family was able to enjoy sticky buns with their Christmas Day breakfast, even if was just hot chocolate and sticky buns. I quit doing it because, well, making 7-8 dozen sticky buns is a lot of work! But she asked me if I'd consider starting it back up again and she'd come over and help me. And now all our kids are married with their own families. It's a lot of sticky buns.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know!

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are an Italian family so we eat all types of fish on Christmas Eve.  I go to my sister's and have dinner there.  We also remember our mom since she died on Christmas Eve years ago, something we will never forget and we talk about that night. 

Things have changed somewhat since dating Russell.  We still open our presents on Christmas Day, that's what our family always did...no cheating allowed :-) 

Russ has stayed with me on Christmas Eve since we met so neither one of us wakes up alone on Christmas morning.  We open our gifts and just relax.  Don't know for sure where we will be eating dinner this year, his sister or my sister, definitely not my house, lol.