Question of the Day, Thursday March 16, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all, I'm taking over the Thursday QOTD, hopefully I remember every week. ;)

This question came to me because I bought my house 3 years ago today and it made me wonder if other people remember random dates.

So...
Do you remember dates of events that happened to you or are related to you that are not birthdays or anniversaries?

For me, I often remember dates of significant events like the day I bought my house or when I had weight loss surgery. I also happen to remember a lot of smaller things because they just happened to occur on or near another date. I remember the date of my first kiss because it was also the day my niece was born. I remember the date of my high school graduation because it happened a day before my 18th birthday. I remember the day I got my first period because it was also my 12th birthday.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The date when I graduated from high school; the dates when I enlisted/was discharged; the dates when I met, and got engaged to, Michele; the date when I had my back surgery; the date when, after 33 years of renting, we closed on our first house; the date when we got the official letter informing us that our mortgage was paid off, and; the date when I retired.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mothersday 2014 may 11th the night my mom died after i had brought flowers to her during the day while she was in the hospital. month of sept 2014 i got lucky and survived a Hemorrhagic stroke. year 2014:lol: los angeles kings won their 2nd stanely cup beating the new york rangers 4 games to 1. 2022 and 2023 i have already had 5 long time friends die the most recent this past sunday.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a memory like a steel trap for dates and all that,but not so much anymore.Some things are,as Neely said ,etched in my memory,but others have kinda faded over time.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do I ever, and sometimes it's a curse and sometimes it's a blessing. March in particular is a big one, so many happy days and so many losses over the years, crammed into a few short weeks.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far so good, since dementia runs in my family, how would I know though!? I remember dates that are particularly good or bad, the birth of my children, the death of my dad, the death of my beloved cat, Chrissy. Birthdays and anniversaries I have all written down on my calendar, renewed every January. That helps a lot since there are so many!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember birthday's and special dates that involve me, like my anniversary, but overall, I'm terrible with remembering dates. My sense of time in general is horrible. Something could have happened, say, 6 months ago, and I'll bring it up to someone and say, "do you remember about a month ago that blah blah blah.....". They'll look at me funny and say, "That was like 6 months ago..." :ohwell: I have a great memory, just don't know where to put them on my "timeline".

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Not really. I no longer remember the dates that my parents passed away. Ironically, though, I do remember the date that I came home from work and found Banshee on the kitchen floor. I don't remember the dates of the other cats' passings though.

I remember the date that I started working at the paper plant and the date that I left. Same with the county. The dates that Rick and I retired.

But that's pretty much it. I know things happened. But I don't remember exactly when. And that might be a good thing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember birthday's and special dates that involve me, like my anniversary, but overall, I'm terrible with remembering dates. My sense of time in general is horrible. Something could have happened, say, 6 months ago, and I'll bring it up to someone and say, "do you remember about a month ago that blah blah blah.....". They'll look at me funny and say, "That was like 6 months ago..." :ohwell: I have a great memory, just don't know where to put them on my "timeline".
Me too! I wonder why.

But yeah, I have to look at my phone or the calendar to know what date today is, lol, no way I'm going to remember other dates.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to, but my memory has turned to mush since menopause. These days I’m lucky to remember what year major events happened. Though even then it depends … like, I know the day and year my Katie crossed the rainbow bridge (it was her Gotcha Day anniversary and a significant historical date as well, so that helps) but I don’t even remember the year I had heart surgery, let alone the date!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some I do. Like I remember the date both my kids were conceived. :lol: I mean I was trying to get pregnant so it makes sense I was paying close attention.:lol:

I remember the date we moved into my parents house my freshman year of high school; but not the exactly date of my own house. I guess it just depends on being able to associate it with something else.