Question of the Day - Thursday March 14, 2024

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was throwing the ball for my dog yesterday when I noticed a cardinal tapping it's beak against the window of my garage and it made me think of today's question. A lot of people see an animal that hangs around a lot as a sign from a dead loved one letting them know they are okay. Cardinals are a common one.

After you've died, what animal would you want to show up as a reminder for your loved ones?

I think I'd want it to be an animal that isn't seen often so my loved ones would recognize that it's a special moment, so a squirrel would not be my choice. Birds are a good choice though I think, but the type of bird is a difficult choice. I'd probably go with a goldfinch though because they are vibrant and noticeable but I don't see them often where I live.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on my own experiences, I'd carry on the tradition I've been given and be a Monarch butterfly. If that wasn't possible, I'd be a rainbow in the sky to give my loved ones hope.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Such odd timing for me on this question. I’m not sure I believe in the signs but my mother’s funeral was today and right before I left the house there was a bright red cardinal on the top of the bird feeder pole.

I like the idea of a butterfly.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
…in the same boat as you, Catloverfromwayback! Maybe we can just try on a new skin for the heck of it! I dibs mountain lion.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids know I love my backyard bird feeders so probably one of them. My grandma loved cardinals and I have several of her things with them on them so they make me think of her. But I’m not sure which bird my kids would choose. It could be anything from mourning doves to chickadees to the junkos. Or woodpeckers. Chickadees are my favorite but I enjoy the others and we see a lot too.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good question.

The day my first rescue cat, The Mu, died a few years ago I went for a walk and saw a yamadori in the forest. I think they're called Copper Pheasants in English. I've never seen one before or since, but this one walked right in front of me. It was the same colours as The Mu and I took it as a sign that she was OK.

1710494872304.png

I'm not sure what I'd come back as. I'll have to think about that

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by what gets my husband and kids' attention now, I would have to be a woodland critter. Deer, raccoon, fox, possom, or random stray cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would come back as a cardinal, mainly because it is rather well known as a bringer of a dead ones love. My daughter keeps finding pennys in rather odd places and swears they are from her grandfather. He always looked for pennys with her birth year on them and gave them to her, as it is her name too!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such odd timing for me on this question. I’m not sure I believe in the signs but my mother’s funeral was today and right before I left the house there was a bright red cardinal on the top of the bird feeder pole.

I like the idea of a butterfly.
I've never seen so many cardinals in my area until after my mom died. It was weird.

My condolences on your loss.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A Mourning Dove. They aren't a flashy looking bird but I love their call. Growing up on a farm I heard them all the time but I have not heard one other than when I look it up on the internet in years.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Creative question!

Aside for my love of kitties of course, my family knows I also love swans, lynxes and foxes so I would probably be one of those - Especially the fox or lynx. I would say swan since it would be sort of fitting as a real-life ballerina, but family members would have to visit the wilderness or park with water in order to see me, while a fox or a lynx can pop up almost anywhere.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Probably a rabbit - every spring we see a family of bunnies in our yard and some of them seek shelter under our patio table cover in winter.