Question of the Day - Thursday June 22, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next week, I will be on vacation to Rhode Island and Maine, so hopefully I remember to post next week's question. As for this week's question:

What types of things do you enjoy doing on vacation to new places?

I can't do a relaxing vacation because it feels like a waste to not explore a place I've never been, so I pack the itinerary with all the typical touristy stops and always come home exhausted. As much as I want to be a museum person, I'm just not, so I've learned to not do that. For my trip next week, I have a lot of mansion/castle tours, hiking, lighthouse visits, and basically any place that looks beautiful. I want to see natural beauty over anything else.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love museums, eating local foods, seeing tourist sites, and nature is always good, too. What I want to see depends on the place, as well. We went to several interactive zoos in Australia because the animals were so different. But if I were to go back to Paris, for example, zoos wouldn't be my top choice and I'd be going to monuments and museums.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love any place that is historical, the older the better. And I like discovering new off the beaten track places.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely trying local foods! After that it just depends on where we are. We haven’t done much “exotic” type traveling but even taking the kids to Disney made me feel like we needed to stay busy savoring the experience. Our trips usually involve some amount if hiking. I would love to go to museums and shows but that’s not really anyone else’s “thing.”

Now children’s science museums are incredibly fun. They are typically very STEM and hands on heavy. Many encourage parents to join in with their kids. Those are worth every cent and minute!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~ Same with me ... 😕
And me. I wouldn't know how to plan or execute a "real" vacation.
My thing is day trips or half-day trips. My favorites 8-10 years ago were agility or obedience trials. Tag almost always came home with blue ribbons, and we met some really amazing people. When he retired, the day trips turned into taking him to Lake Erie. We had a lot of fun. We drove the shores, got lost several times, and visited Catawba Island, Lakeside Marblehead, and the Sandusky Bay. We met people (his favorite activity!), and stopped and ate lunch on a pier and watched (from a VERY far distance) the big rollercoasters rolling at Cedar Point.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I enjoy seeing the local sites, museums, poking around in local shops, and learning any interesting history of the area. I can't really understand people who want to go to exotic ports of call and flop on a beach for a week. I'd be bored by the second day! I need to explore.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
- Museums
- Historical sites. Love love love history.
- Nature or Gardens
- Exploring off the beaten path roads or streets. Safely of course! l only do that during the day and well-researched ahead regions or areas in regards to reputation.
- I am a sucker for beautiful views lol whether a cliff, hill/mountain or on top of a structure overlooking the city or natural space I shall proceed to climb it!

I am not a foodie so don't particularly care about restaurants or find food interesting overall. I'll dabble a little to appreciate some local cuisine but otherwise I focus on other things. Plus I tend not to have a huge appetite when I travel so mainly eat to sustain myself. In any case, I actually it way more interesting to visit the local grocery store :lol: a lot less expensive too. I'd rather see other aspects of local culture too in any case, like folk dancing or costumes, music, theatre, parades/festivals and so forth.

I need to explore, I like chilling a wee bit of course but the mental stimulation by seeing things I find fascinating is my version of resting.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick maps out and plans our vacations. He likes to get up early in the morning, have a good breakfast and then go. He has it all worked out. We are on the move from the time we awaken until everything closes and we go back to our room. Me? I like to get up when I get up, shower, have coffee, hit the internet for about 30 minutes or so and then go.

What we do depends on where we are. We both love to walk, so we tend to walk everywhere. Usually, once our car is parked somewhere, it stays parked until we head for home. While we do like to visit museums and such, we usually tend to spend time in places known for walking, hiking, exploring, etc.

We're planning a trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia this fall and we'll spend our days walking around everything.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eating,finding the good spots for food :lol:waiting for gf to suggest shopping at some outlet etc thats. always coincidentally:rolleyes:minutes from where we booked our place to stay.:lol:not a coincidence its pre meditated

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I can't do a relaxing vacation because it feels like a waste to not explore a place I've never been, so I pack the itinerary with all the typical touristy stops and always come home exhausted.
We do this when it's a place we've never been. We often go away to the same place for a weekend just so we can relax. We like scenery, long drives to explore, little shops, scenic walks, good food, etc.