Question of the Day - Thursday February 15, 2024

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think is the most important phrase or sentence to know when you go to a country where you don't speak the language?

I had this thought the other day about what I would say if I went to Norway (the top place I want to go) and needed to communicate with residents. For me, I think the most important thing to learn would be, "I am a stupid American, do you speak English?" 😆

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think knowing how to ask if they speak English or know anyone who does would be the best phrase to have. That, or "what restaurant has the best pizza?"

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to speak the language, do you speak English. In French Je ne parle pas Francais; parles-tu anglais? (I took 2 years of French in high school, but I couldn't begin to speak it or understand what a person is saying).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just keep it short and say words like English? Or Bathroom? I live on the border to Canada and there is always somebody who speaks English around.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took several years of Spanish in high school, but I can't speak it or understand it beyond a few words. I think they did a terrible job teaching us. Ha!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took several years of Spanish in high school, but I can't speak it or understand it beyond a few words. I think they did a terrible job teaching us. Ha!
I suffered through two years of grade-school Spanish, plus there was a guy from El Salvador that I worked with for a couple of years before I retired, so I still remember some of it- probably enough to get in trouble.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vaguely remember that I said , when I arrived in Rome Italy. Do you speak English?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My old coworker was stationed in several different countries when her husband was in the military. She always said her first priority was learning the currency and shopping. I’m guessing the locals likely spoke a little English with the US having a base in those locations. So I guess it would depend on if I’m somewhere there might be more diverse languages.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so much full phrases and sentences, but I find just knowing the odd word is helpful based on my experience. Locals tend to easily get the gist and you don't have to worry about memorizing a whole bunch of actual lines since it is way easier to learn one word.

"Hello!"
"Goodbye"
"Please/Thank you"
"Where is....?"
"When is.....?"
"Time?"
"How much?"
"Toilet"
"Train/Taxi/Plane/Bus"
"English?"
"My name is...."

And so forth!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I took two years of French, and the teacher was so sweet. She was good using body language to ask us stuff in French (if she asked us "what time is it" in French, she'd point to her watch or the clock, etc.) It's interesting because if people don't speak the same language, they either ask the same thing louder or do similar body language things to try to get their point across.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you speak English?

I’m guessing the locals likely spoke a little English with the US having a base in those locations
I was stationed in what was then West Germany and most Germans spoke some English at least in the places where I was stationed. Germans seemed to really appreciate my pathetic attempts at German though.