Question of the Day - Thursday April 27, 2023

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was the worst job you've ever had?

For me, my worst job was working at a grocery store for way too long (5 years). I am not a people person and being around people gets me overstimulated so I was always on edge, stressed out, and also in pain from having to stand for 8 hours a day with only a 30 minute break. Additionally, customers can be jerks and I don't handle people yelling at me well (does anyone?). I go into that grocery store now (it's under a different company because the company I worked for went out of business) and I basically dissociate because it was kind of a traumatic experience.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A temp job that I worked between one semester while I was in college. It was in a hospital records department and when I arrived in the morning I was given a list of file numbers to be pulled. I walked down long windowless rows of floor to ceiling shelving, finding the file number and pulling it. In the afternoon I went back down these same rows returning files. Absolutely mind numbing.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first job with the USCG. I was stationed aboard a River Bouy Tender, retrieving and installing buoys. Filthy, smelly and potentially dangerous work. I was thrilled when I was transferred off the boat.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two summers in a nursing home. That was before they started certifying nurse's aides. They had the residents needing full care on two wings and of course as a new employee and a summer hire that was where I worked. The physical part was hard but the worst part of it was that most of the residents had dementia.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst job I had was not the work, but the owners of the business, a married couple, that made it so bad. The reason it was easy to get a job there was that the entire previous staff had just quit - all at once. I had just finished a semester of school and I was desperate for a job. After I was there three months, they asked me to manage. I quit! I was not going to manage for those abusive jerks. There have been other bad jobs, but that one stood out.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was at Sears. It wasn't so much the job itself, I was in the jewelry department and knew what I was doing as I also worked at a locally owned jewelry store. This was just to supplement and get more hours/money. But my co-workers were kinda snotty and management wasn't willing to be flexible...even after I told them during the interview that's what I needed so I could work my three jobs to save up for school. It just wasn't a good atmosphere. I lasted maybe 2 months.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was young, late teens, I got a job in a shoe factory. My job was to stitch around tongues. That's it. Well, I couldn't sew at all. And I had to make count. And they had to be perfect. To make matters worse, there was an older woman there who loved to sit there and watch me. Just watch me. And she'd smirk at me every chance she got. Turns out, the woman was my father's sister and they hadn't talked in years (long story). She knew who I was and I guess she wanted me to know that she knew who I was.

I lasted two days. The third morning, I woke up and said, "Nope, not doing it. Just not." Didn't go into work. Didn't call in and tell them I quit.