Question Of The Day - Thursday 2 November

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone :wave3:

Today's question is about pet peeves. Everyone has stuff they hate ... stuff that gets under your skin more than other stuff and just annoys the hell out of you :mad:

So, what is your BIGGEST pet peeve ? :angrywoman:

Ive got loads of pet peeves. It's hard to pick just one. But the biggest one, the one that annoys me the most, is ..... People chewing with their mouth open. :angryfire: I don't want to see or hear that, thanks. Manners cost nothing ! :hmmm:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing that bothers me the most is people talking on their phones. What the heck is so important that you can't wait till you get home to talk? Especially while they are driving or grocery shopping.

Ellen

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"On accident" instead of "By accident"

But also people talking on their phones loudly in public. It's one thing if they go off to a more private place, but when they're walking around it annoys me.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talking loudly on phones in public, especially if it involves swearing, anger, or airing the family's "dirty laundry" in public. I can't believe some of the things people say on the phone in front of total strangers. It makes me embarrassed to be in the same room with them.

Margret

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lot's of them - but lately it is people who tailgate. And there are so many of them! And I'm not going all that slow, but even if all I was doing was speed limit - heck even if I was driving UNDER the speed limit, there is NO good reason to tailgate. I am always watching out for squirrels or such running into the road and if one does, I guarantee I will be slamming on my brakes (it is instinctive). Don't people realize what could happen from driving so close to the person in front of them? Is getting where you're going 2 minutes sooner really worth the hassle and cost of an accident, even if it is just a fender bender?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say mine is just rudeness. Just in general. There is enough meanness and hatred in the world, why add to it?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rabid about people who violate handicapped parking spots. I'm handicapped myself and have to use a mobility scooter. My husband and I are volunteers with a Precinct 4 Constable's Office project that allows us to photograph violators and turn them in. They get a $500-$750 surprise in the mail. If they've just forgotten to hang their tag, we let it go. However, most of it is deliberate and we've heard some very sorry excuses (My daughter wanted a cookie. My feet hurt. I'll only be a minute. None of your d@#$ business! - We get the last one a lot.) We can't verify that the person is using a tag assigned to them but we can report long-expired tags. The ones who are obviously able-bodied and using someone else's tag make me furious. The ADA law says the person must be unable to walk 200 feet unassisted or without stopping to rest. I see these people trotting all around the mall and the grocery store and walking around festivals for hours. We've also been cursed frequently, shot the bird, threatened, and once, my husband was run over (just brushed and not hurt, thank goodness) by an angry woman who did it deliberately. It's enormously satisfying to see that these lazy, thoughtless, self-centered people get what they deserve. And yes, the problem is worse when it's raining or cold.

Would you guess that I have very strong feelings about this?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Currently my pet peeve is texting while driving. You can always tell when someone is texting at a stop light too. The light turns green and they are looking down at their phone instead of obeying the light or traffic. I think this problem is a major concern and getting worse not better.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my two biggest pet peeves are:

doctors and the wait times (well past our appointment times) we're made to endure on a regular (like, guaranteed) basis. i mean, everyone else must be on time to their appointments (with the doctors, as well as elsewhere), so why should doctors be 'above' that. my time is valuable to me, and i have things i could be doing instead of wasting it sitting in a waiting room while potentially being exposed to germs (from sick persons waiting to see the doctor). and to top it off, the doctor comes breezing into the exam room saying how busy he/she is that day. whatever. busy is no excuse to waste my valuable time.

then there's the 'shrinking' package sizes of various food items at the grocery stores. i'm a very careful shopper, and i'm frugal. i actually compare items, their sizes/quantities and prices, when i'm shopping. although, lately i have some items on my shopping list that i'm simply wanting to note their prices and sized boxes/quantities, which i then compare to the best prices i've found online and sometimes in bulk quantity online. i'd say that most times, even almost always, the best price is what i've found online. anyway, those shrinking package sizes seem to me to be sneaky and underhanded. and i've decided that i simply will not 'support' that practice, so i find alternatives to those items -- most times ending up making them at home.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree about the shrinking package sizes. I gave up on a lot of products, simply because they're not worth buying anymore. I can't tell you when the last time it was that I bought any boxed mixes (cake mixes, etc.) It's just not worth it. Rick used to like Jello pudding; when they went from six to four, we stopped buying them. It's easy to make pudding, whether it's chocolate or vanilla or rice or even tapioca. If he wants pudding, I'll make it on a Sunday and put it into little Tupperware containers (yes, we still have them!) and then he'll have it for his lunch.

But even making foods from scratch doesn't guarantee they're really any cheaper (although they might be a bit healthier). Chocolate is ridiculous, good vanilla is ridiculous. I feel like we're darned if we do and darned if we don't.

Right now, my biggest pet peeve is traffic. Because PennDOT is working on a road that runs parallel to our main road (that used to take all the trailer trucks), everybody has been shifted over to our main road. It's just ugly right now and, until the thruway is finished, it's going to remain ugly. The trucks are all over the place and they ignore the "Left Lane No Trucks" signs. I told Rick that even going into work at 7:00 is turning into quite an adventure. And forget about driving home from work on the main road! I started taking back roads because it's easier, even with the school buses. And on Friday afternoons? Everybody wants to get home.....now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ADA law says the person must be unable to walk 200 feet unassisted or without stopping to rest
Huh. My aunt has a tag and I'm fairly sure she can walk 200 feet. She sometimes uses the scooter in the store but other times she just walks around with a cart. I wonder if the doctors are handing the permits out without much regard. My mom and I joke about using it if we can't find a space when she's not with us, but of course we never would :tongue:.

Ugh, people passing in no passing zones! Theres a particular area on the highway on my way to work that seems to be popular for that. I don't know how many close calls I've had there. Just yesterday I actually pulled over because I didn't think the truck would be able to get back in his own lane before he got to me. . .I would have hit the ditch if I needed to. Scary!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who don't respect others' personal space. No, random lady at the grocery store, you don't need to stand 1 cm away from me while we're waiting in line!

This isn't just a pet peeve - it triggers my anxiety, too. Ugh!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have to agree about the shrinking package sizes. I gave up on a lot of products, simply because they're not worth buying anymore. I can't tell you when the last time it was that I bought any boxed mixes (cake mixes, etc.) It's just not worth it. Rick used to like Jello pudding; when they went from six to four, we stopped buying them. It's easy to make pudding, whether it's chocolate or vanilla or rice or even tapioca. If he wants pudding, I'll make it on a Sunday and put it into little Tupperware containers (yes, we still have them!) and then he'll have it for his lunch.

But even making foods from scratch doesn't guarantee they're really any cheaper (although they might be a bit healthier). Chocolate is ridiculous, good vanilla is ridiculous. I feel like we're darned if we do and darned if we don't.

Right now, my biggest pet peeve is traffic. Because PennDOT is working on a road that runs parallel to our main road (that used to take all the trailer trucks), everybody has been shifted over to our main road. It's just ugly right now and, until the thruway is finished, it's going to remain ugly. The trucks are all over the place and they ignore the "Left Lane No Trucks" signs. I told Rick that even going into work at 7:00 is turning into quite an adventure. And forget about driving home from work on the main road! I started taking back roads because it's easier, even with the school buses. And on Friday afternoons? Everybody wants to get home.....now.
"Pennsylvania : Land of Road Construction"--should be a National Geographic special. Ever notice how they're always doing road work, but the roads never seem to be better????

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parents who let their children run wild in stores, restaurants, etc.

I'm not as young and agile as I used to be, and can't always get out of the way in time when those precious little snowflakes suddenly come barreling toward me at warp speed.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
"Pennsylvania : Land of Road Construction"--should be a National Geographic special. Ever notice how they're always doing road work, but the roads never seem to be better????
I'm a native Houston, age 71. When I was about five, they began building a highway between Houston and Galveston. It was US 75. We called it the "Super Duper" back then. Construction continued and it eventually became I-45. It's now 61 years later and the construction is still going on and will into the foreseeable future.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
People who do not spay/neuter their pets.

Also...

People who cut me off in traffic. You can wait another minute. You really can.
People who leave shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot.
People who ignore their out of control children in stores and restaurants. No. They are NOT cute.
People who do not wash their hands after using the rest room.
People who bring non service animals into restaurants and grocery stores.