Question of the Day: Thurs. May 13

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nanner

Wow. I've always dreamed of filling up my passport so much that it was full and I had to get a new one before the expiration date.
I love looking at the stamps and remembering the trips.
me too! Even though I travel quite a bit I have no stamps in my passport. Well, I have 2 passports, my US one doesn't have stamps because I only use it when I'm coming into the US. My Bulgarian one doesn't have stamps because I use it going into Bulgaria and other EU countries where you don't need a visa, heck you don't even need a passport just your driver's license now. So I'm out of luck with filling up my passport
I think it's a new thing where they don't stamp it every time you arrive somewhere, period?? I think now they only stamp if you go somewhere where you need a visa.
I had some stamps when I was younger, just arriving into the US I'd get a stamp

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, I have stamps coming back to the USA from England.. as recently as November.
I remember not getting stamps going to and from Canada a few years back, and being bummed about it.

Anyway, yes I have a passport, I got my first one when I was about 13. Went to Germany and then later England and Scotland. It expired after 5 years because it was a kid one. Then I got a new one in 2004, which is good til 2014.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one that expired in the early 80's. I never got to use it then. Maybe someday I will get it renewed.

buttercup29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I have one as we went to Florida 2 years ago with my daughter son in law and our youngest 2 grandaughters. I'm glad we did as DH and I went to San Francisco in January and will be going to Florida in July. We live close to the border and so we can make quick trips over the river when we want to. I so would like a few stamps in it as I think its screaming to have some in it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Like Laurie, I got one as a child for a trip to Europe, and have had a valid one ever since. It's an absolute must for me, as I don't live in the U.S. anymore, and all ex-pats have to have one. The U.S. is about the only country that ever bothers to stamp it nowadays. My German residence permit is in it, though, and I have to get that transferred every time I get a new passport (at the U.S. Consulate every ten years).
Nowadays there's a limited "credit card" U.S. passport for travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, which I'll probably also get the next time I renew my passport, just so I can carry it around as an ID.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No passport here. Will probably get one sometime in the future - most likely before our next cruise. We met the cutoff to need a passport to go to the Caribbean - we went in February 2008, and I think the required passports started in June or so.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, got it in 2006 when we went to Mexico. I'd never had one previously, because the only travel I'd done outside the country was to the US, and we didn't need a passport for that at the time. Ours are good for 5 years, so it'll need to be renewed next year if we want to travel outside the country.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the enhanced drivers license last year when I renewed. It's good for Canada and Mexico, and I have no plans to travel anywhere else in the near future.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do have a passport. It's actually my only ID because I don't have a drivers license. I just had to get a new one last year 'coz the other one expired. I need it if travelling to Russia (our neighbour country) and used to need it to Estonia too before they joined EU. (Finnish people visit Estonia very often). Weirdly I can't remember ever needing a passport when going to Sweden (another country where we travel often).
I've only visited countries very near me so it hasn't had any 'proper' use yet.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine about 9 years ago when I travelled overseas, not sure if I'll renew when it expires next year since I have no plans for future travel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
only reason I asked this one is because I am in the process of getting mine....

I filled out the paperwork, got the photos, and Monday I will go and pay an arm and a leg to submit it and should have it in 2wks or so....

I would like to take a trip into the US sometime soon, and well, you need a passport now for that......