Question of the Day: Thurs. Feb. 25

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not easy at all to ask for help, I feel foolish doing it. But at my age there are times I have to ask for help . Example is today when I will need a lot of help shoveling snow. The maintenance guy will probably do most or all of it. If teens come around and want to do it, I pay them. It is well worth it for me.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I'm pretty stubborn truthfully. I don't ask for help nearly as ofter as I should.
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I find it is much easier for me to offer to help someone else than it is to ask for help. I also have a more difficult time saying no to someone who needs help (even if it winds up sucking the life out of me.
Ditto to both!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I can't physically get up out of bed, I expect my DH to know he's going to have to take care of some stuff - I shouldn't have to ask. But I also have a bad habit of pushing myself, moving and lifting things, without asking for help which ends up putting me in that state.

Example - I was lifting more than I should have yesterday and today I'm having difficulties walking and fell this morning. It's a wonder I haven't herniated my disc worse than it is.
We sound like kindred spirits!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I hate to ask for help; I have this thing in my brain that says, "That's admitting you're weak." I know that's stupid, but that's how I am. For some reason, I also expect people to know when I actually do need help. When my back issues are acting up, I expect DH and DD to know that I can't do some things. Even then, I have a hard time asking them to help me.
*waves* and joins the crowd.

Yeah to all of it.

Part of it comes from having no choice but to be self sufficient as a child - growing up before my time - being a single mom with 2 kids and no help has lead me to having a very difficult time asking for help. Its a pride/stubborness thing...

which of course, I've been adjusting to since my first workplace injury, to my current issues.

Thankfully my children are very awesome. All i have to do is look, and put the jar/can/whatever on the counter, and they will open it for me. No asking involved
Which helps.

Then u get other times where I prod through whatever it is if I can, and end up in recovery for 2-3days after
(stubborness but also reaffirming that I CAN do it on my own if I have to....even if I pay for it).

Lets just say, I have some issues with this one.

Now, emotional issues, sure thing.... I can ask friends no probs....
Its the physical issues that I speak of the difficulties.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Good morning folks.

Todays question comes compliments of The Book of Questions (as I'm so tired I have no idea of one myself)

Is it easy for you to ask for help when you need it? Will you ask for help?
I typically don't like to, but have learned over the years to be better about it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It honestly just depends on what I need help with and who I'm asking. If I'm around someone that I'm comfortable with and trust and it's something simple, then I don't mind asking for help. I also want my family, friends, coworkers to feel comfortable asking me for help when they need it.
If It's something serious however and I don't feel comfortable around someone...then I tend to not want to ask. It really just depends on the situation for me.