Question of the Day, Sunday the 22nd of March, 2020

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope to start up a garden this year. I actually applied for a grant to have a bee-friendly garden in my yard. My goal was to make it really big so I can cut down on how much I have to mow. :lol: Before my work closed, I pulled a bunch of gardening books from the shelves to look over while we're in quarantine. That's another thing I should start doing today.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Trumpet vines! We just bought some flowers to plant whilst we're housebound due to self-isolation and chose a selection of rhododendrons. When life gets back to normal again, I'd love to get some cherry trees and wisteria too - I've never had them in the garden before but I've always been jealous of others who have!

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just started seeds for the garden, some of the new things I'm trying are lemon and lime basil as well as cat nip and cat grass for my herb pots.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to have some tulips in my perennial bed, but I always forget to buy and plant the bulbs in the fall!

I also like looking out for new and interesting varieties of hot peppers every spring. They're hit and miss sometimes, though in the past I was able to find Carolina reapers and ghost peppers seedlings locally.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I am growing Cottage Red marigolds, but only for the strong odor. It's a big stinky plant! They help keep insect pests away. But I mainly grow vegetables.

This year, I will have two Russian tomato plants, Black Krim and Limmony. I haven't grown either in years, but both are extremely flavorful. I will have three grafted tomato plants, two Cherokee purples and a Brandywine.

I will have small hot hot peppers that I use in cooking, Bod'e and Del Diablo. Also I am growing 20+ jalapeño plants, hoping to sell some peppers.

And I'm growing an eight foot row of green beans. I grow white half runners, one of my childhood favorites. They are so sweet when picked young and have such an interesting flavor.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh lots! It's Autumn and that's a great time to plant out. We don't have a bad Winter; in fact it's delightful.
I'd take some photos but it's night time here now.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to add something new to our yard every year. Last year it was hydrangeas but they didn't do very well. They need more shade than I could give I guess. I was thinking of a forsythia; which is in bloom around here now. Every year I admire them. So maybe this will be the year.

Micaela227

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From Wikipedia:
"Gomphocarpus physocarpus, commonly known as hairy balls, balloonplant, balloon cotton-bush, bishop's balls, nailhead, or swan plant, is a species of milkweed. The plant is native to southeast Africa, but it has been widely naturalized. It is often used as an ornamental plant. The name "hairy balls" is an allusion to the swelling testicle-like follicles which are full of seeds."
:lol:
Well, I did say that it's not pretty :lol: the butterflies are worth it tho