Question of the Day: Sunday, September 11

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
September is "Happy Cat Month" so we should be doing things to make our cats happy. But one of the suggestions on the site
"Happy Cat Month" is to schedule a check-up at the vet, which is certainly not going to make any of my cats happy - at least not in the short term.

Today, I am more interested in what makes you happy!

The past week has been a bad week for me, but on Friday evening the Annual General Meeting for members of the animal charity for the year 2021 was held.

I was responsible for the presentation. Collecting data and photos was a mammoth task but the "ahs!" and "ohs!", the laughs and in one case the tears, and the applause at the end made me happy.

The "ahs" came when pictures of mother cats and their kittens at their foster homes were shown - the ginger kitten being bottle-fed producing the loudest response.

Spontaneous laughter greeted the video of rodents and flies sharing food with the cats at one of the feral feeding centres; the mother duck with her ducklings who, for the third year running, has insisted on settling in a back yard to lay her eggs and rear her babies. A plastic swimming pool and ramp have been put at their disposal. Chuckles greeted the picture of a kitten poking her tongue out.

Tears and applause came when a woman with a mental disorder told us about the elderly, incontinent, aggressive small dog, which she had accepted from the charity when she asked if we would let her take care of a challenging cat or dog with multiple problems. The dog had died a few months earlier - but had not only learnt to control his bladder but had become her soulmate and saviour in the three years they had spent together. She is not yet ready for a new friend but next time she asks us for a pet we will be more than willing to oblige.

Applause also greeted the woman who devotes much of her time helping cases of FIP, although medication is still not available here and has to be imported. The charity itself has only treated one case to see if it works. It was successful but, as it is a very expensive procedure, it will not be possible to repeat it on a regular basis.

The "ohs!" were the reaction to the horrendous amount of money spent on vet costs and medication - more than double the total amount received in donations! We will certainly not be able to be so generous in future.

But, the evening left me feeling good in spite of the fact that there's lots more work to do and things are certainly getting more difficult.

What has made you happy recently - or, alternatively - what do you do to feel good?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What has made you happy recently
This will be short and to the point, and I know there are others feeling the amazing joy of when a cat who's been reluctant to eat, has a food that he or she dives into and thoroughly enjoys. (I fervently hope that occurs for those who are still in the midst of the struggle).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This will be short and to the point, and I know there are others feeling the amazing joy of when a cat who's been reluctant to eat, has a food that he or she dives into and thoroughly enjoys. (I fervently hope that occurs for those who are still in the midst of the struggle).
Amen to that!

We had to rush Carleton to the vet last Thursday. She was completely booked but stayed after her last appointment to see him. Among other symptoms he was not eating but started to turn the corner yesterday - pure joy. :cheerleader:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went out last night to a concert that was part of our local town's annual festival. My husband/his business was one of sponsors for the event, so we got weekend passes and a food voucher for a thankyou. I had a good time, but am paying for it today! I didn't drink, but being up past my bedtime makes me feel hung over, alcohol or not. So for today, I'm looking forward to a quiet and easy going day of nothing...and THAT makes me happy. I think I will finally finish my puzzle and enjoy some cuddle time with the kitties...not at the same time...cats and puzzles don't mix, LOL!
There was a chance yesterday, before the headliners started at 9:30pm, that we would host a couple friends at our house for a bit instead of just meeting there. It didn't end up happening, and we just met them there around 8 or so, but of course, with the potential of company, guess who cleaned the house all afternoon? What makes me happy about that is that I don't have anything to do today, chores wise, except empty the dishwasher and make dinner. woot woot!
I do have to continue with some work stuff, which is quite stressful right now...but I know I'll feel good when I can be done with this particular project, so that will make me happy.
I also reached a new milestone with my exercise journey recently and finally broke thru to below a certain weight that I just couldn't seem to get past.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Applause also greeted the woman who devotes much of her time helping cases of FIP, although medication is still not available here and has to be imported. The charity itself has only treated one case to see if it works. It was successful but, as it is a very expensive procedure, it will not be possible to repeat it on a regular basis.
Where are you that the FIP medication is not available? I'm just curious. A friend of my sister in another state has cared for several FIP kittens now and I believe all of them were cured, but she says the shots are very painful and cost $3,000 per shot. Whenever her rescue gets an FIP kitten, they ask for donations. I usually donate a little because when my little Darcy had FIP, there was no cure. I would done anything and gone into debt if she could have been saved. I hope the cure becomes more readily available and a little less pricey.

As for what makes me happy, being able to go do my cat care shift at the resuce where I volunteer, and hearing happy stories about the kitties who have gone to their forever homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you that the FIP medication is not available? I'm just curious. A friend of my sister in another state has cared for several FIP kittens now and I believe all of them were cured, but she says the shots are very painful and cost $3,000 per shot. Whenever her rescue gets an FIP kitten, they ask for donations. I usually donate a little because when my little Darcy had FIP, there was no cure. I would done anything and gone into debt if she could have been saved. I hope the cure becomes more readily available and a little less pricey.

As for what makes me happy, being able to go do my cat care shift at the resuce where I volunteer, and hearing happy stories about the kitties who have gone to their forever homes.
I live in Germany - FIP medication comes from wherever it is available and cheapest - usually China - though I have seen receipts from USA. "GoFundMe" is the method used for those who can't afford treatment. Most cats have been saved - best chances of success are for cats with neurological symptoms. It will certainly be a relief when medication is approved and vets here are allowed to use it.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love spending time with the grandkids they make me laugh, smile, and fill my heart with joy. Even the teenager he has a wicked sense of humour. And definitely that feeling Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned I went through that a couple of months back with Patches had to rush him to the emergency vet. He was lethargic off his food and his paws swelled up. It took another visit to our own vet's 2 day's later to get him back eating properly.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peacefulness,a feeling that things are going the right way,sometimes a little quiet time,the little chirp that I hear and the tap on my shoulder of a fuzzy foot as she comes to lie down in front of my keyboard on my desk (and that would be Penny),when I try a new recipe and it turns out fantastic....simple stuff:)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been having bouts of anxiety and depression again recently. I have confided to a friend that I would wish to run away wehere others would not be able to see me or track me, including my husband. But being a responsible Mom and wife and fur parent I cannot do that, so I am stuck.

But what makes me happy? Probably traveling. The feeling of being like a child again when I discover and see new things and meet different people from different cultures makes me happy. Another thing that makes me happy? When I do the traveling with my family. It is priceless!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
after having a life changing experience 2013 a stroke and now this possible cancer issue. its the really everyday simple things that bring joy into my life. things that most people take for granted like being able to get up each morning to shower/brush your teeth/make/eat your breakfast etc.i know alot of disabled that have lost that independence.the one thing i have that starts every morning off with a smile is waking up next to my gf knowing i have been given the love of a wonderful woman and nothing compares to that. :biggrin: