Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 22, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Acceptable, yes, within limits (I can't make her roll over to get at the claws on the other side more easily, for instance), but she'll never actually like it. That's too much to ask for.

I think it's gradually sinking in that I say "Ow!" less frequently when her claws have been clipped. And she always gets praise and cuddles during and after clipping. That seems to cut the anxiety a lot. I am, of course, extremely careful to avoid cutting too deep, and it probably helps that the clippers are small -- less threatening. I know it helps that, because this particular nail clipper is part of my pocket knife I don't have to fumble with it. I open it out and the rest of the knife fits inside of the curve of my fingers so my thumb can work the clippers, which is an extremely stable arrangement.

Margret
mine will never actually like nail clipping either. :agree:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is quite funny. Lol. But now that you mention it, I realize we don't have a specific routine when it comes to trimming the cats' nails. Hmm...
no specific routine for trimming your cat's nails!!! :thumbsup: a routine isn't a necessary thing, but it works well for my cats. :dunno:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 , there are 3 possible reasons to wish to trim claws:
  1. Some cats grow such long claws that they become a danger to the cat, either curving around to dig into the paw pads or catching on the carpet when the cat gets the zoomies.
  2. To protect the furniture. (Ineffective, but hope springs eternal.)
  3. To protect laps from kneading. It's unreasonable to expect the cat to stop kneading, and unreasonable to expect the humans to enjoy claws sticking into their thighs.
If none of these reasons apply, then you definitely shouldn't bother with claw clipping.

mine will never actually like nail clipping either. :agree:
I've never heard of a cat who does.

Margret

Last edited:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 , there are 3 possible reasons to wish to trim claws:
  1. Some cats get such long claws that they become a danger to the cat, either curving around to dig into the pads or catching on the carpet when the cat has the zoomies.
  2. To protect the furniture.
  3. To protect the lap from kneading. It's unreasonable to expect the cat to stop kneading, and unreasonable to expect the human to enjoy claws sticking into the thighs.
If none of these reasons apply, then you definitely shouldn't bother with claw clipping.

I've never heard of a cat who does.

Margret
When we bought the house it was with plans to eventually renovate. The cats have helped with demolition.
My Great Grandmother always kept at least one Siamese cat around. She named each one Timmy. I remember that her couches and chairs always bore patches on the arms and proof of catness at corners. I always thought clawed furniture was a price one pays for keeping a cat.
My cats all shed their claws pretty routinely and I am so used to claws. I have to be in such a bad mood to get upset over them.
Thank you for telling me about the long claws. That is something I have never seen so I didn't know it happens.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone was as kind to you as you were to me.
A lot of people are kind to me; I'm surprised when I encounter unkindness. However, with regard to cats with extra long claws, I just heard about it in this thread. :crazy:

Margret