Question of the Day, Sunday, October 16, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! 

for today’s Question of the Day, let’s talk about books!

What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it?

i’ll start!

i just finished Four Years in the Rockies, by James B. Marsh. it was written in 1884, and is about Isaac P. Rose’s four years spent as a trapper and hunter in the Rocky Mountains. i enjoyed reading this book very much! 

this evening i’ve started The Romanov Stone, by Robert C. Yeager.

how about you?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. Your book synopsis sounds like a movie I saw a few months ago. And speaking of movies, I've just finished reading A Streetcat Named Bob by James Bowen. I didn't realise that the movie is going to be released in November starring the real Bob.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've just finished reading After The Banquet by Yukio Mishima, translated into English. It was about a woman who gets married late in life to a politician and then becomes involved in his election campaign. It was interesting to read about all the dirty tricks that were used by rival parties to discredit the candidates. Almost as bad as politics is now!

The last book I read in Japanese was Yumiko to tsubame no haka. True story about a little girl who survived the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the middle of reading The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins. It's been made into a movie. It was the commercials which got me interested in reading it; we have not seen the film yet.

The book lives up the the hype.  It's written in a format which I don't recall ever seeing before in a book; very unique style.  I'm really enjoying it. I haven't been reading much fiction lately and I'm glad I decided to pick this one up.  Highly recommend!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently reading "Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin" by Timothy Snyder.

So far so good! Definitely interesting yet intense. Like the title says, it covers the history and mass murders between the lands of Germany and Russia by both leaders, via shootings, starvation and beyond. Didn't realize the death numbers were so ridiculously high. 

I tend to lean towards the more lesser known atrocities and tragedies of the World Wars (Nanking Massacre, Armenian Genocide, Soviet Gulags etc which by a side point, are still covered up by such issues like denials) While events like the Holocaust are obviously significant, worth their recognition and absolutely no intention of lessening that horror, you come to realize how they are part of a much bigger picture.

Such a happy dappy topic to post about I know 

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read a lot. Just finished The Dragon And the Raven by G A Henty. Historical fiction. Danes vs Saxons and the rise of King Alfred. Next up is With Lee in Virginia by the same author. The majority of what I read is old. There are so many public domain selections you can get for your ereader for free. I enjoy science fiction, adventure, fish and hunt, historical, cats, informational, and the just plain odd. Fiction and non fiction. My fav series is the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. My fav cat book is Lords of the Housetops---13 shorts by various authors. I also read my own book about every 3 months. Going to look for the selection you mentioned @mickNsnicks2mom

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished When the Moon Is Low  by Nadia Hashimi. It's fiction, but based on many real experiences of Afgani refugees making their way to Europe to escape the wars and the Taliban. The story is full of  the experiences of women in a Muslim world. It was well written and very colorful. The author is a pediatrician in New York; her parents were themselves refugees from Afganistan.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm re-reading right now until finances get re-aligned from the move, but I just finished "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows" by Krys Radish.  She writes the most remarkable books about women and their friendships.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Huh. Your book synopsis sounds like a movie I saw a few months ago. And speaking of movies, I've just finished reading A Streetcat Named Bob by James Bowen. I didn't realise that the movie is going to be released in November starring the real Bob.
A Streetcat Named Bob sounds like an interesting book! 

i love reading books that take me to another time period, especially ones that are relatively historically accurate.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've just finished reading After The Banquet by Yukio Mishima, translated into English. It was about a woman who gets married late in life to a politician and then becomes involved in his election campaign. It was interesting to read about all the dirty tricks that were used by rival parties to discredit the candidates. Almost as bad as politics is now!

The last book I read in Japanese was Yumiko to tsubame no haka. True story about a little girl who survived the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima.
that sounds like a good book! 
  with the current election coming up here in the US, which is very much like a cross between a (bad) novel and a nightmare, it will be quite a while before i'll be reading anything related to politicians -- either fiction or nonfiction.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm in the middle of reading The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins. It's been made into a movie. It was the commercials which got me interested in reading it; we have not seen the film yet.

The book lives up the the hype.  It's written in a format which I don't recall ever seeing before in a book; very unique style.  I'm really enjoying it. I haven't been reading much fiction lately and I'm glad I decided to pick this one up.  Highly recommend!
that sounds like a really interesting book! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Currently reading "Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin" by Timothy Snyder.

So far so good! Definitely interesting yet intense. Like the title says, it covers the history and mass murders between the lands of Germany and Russia by both leaders, via shootings, starvation and beyond. Didn't realize the death numbers were so ridiculously high. 

I tend to lean towards the more lesser known atrocities and tragedies of the World Wars (Nanking Massacre, Armenian Genocide, Soviet Gulags etc which by a side point, are still covered up by such issues like denials) While events like the Holocaust are obviously significant, worth their recognition and absolutely no intention of lessening that horror, you come to realize how they are part of a much bigger picture.

Such a happy dappy topic to post about I know 

sounds like interesting reading there! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I read a lot. Just finished The Dragon And the Raven by G A Henty. Historical fiction. Danes vs Saxons and the rise of King Alfred. Next up is With Lee in Virginia by the same author. The majority of what I read is old. There are so many public domain selections you can get for your ereader for free. I enjoy science fiction, adventure, fish and hunt, historical, cats, informational, and the just plain odd. Fiction and non fiction. My fav series is the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. My fav cat book is Lords of the Housetops---13 shorts by various authors. I also read my own book about every 3 months. Going to look for the selection you mentioned @mickNsnicks2mom
oh, i love Edgar Rice Burroughs!
  i enjoy many of the old books too, partly because i love the stories and partly because i get them for my kindle for free.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just finished When the Moon Is Low  by Nadia Hashimi. It's fiction, but based on many real experiences of Afgani refugees making their way to Europe to escape the wars and the Taliban. The story is full of  the experiences of women in a Muslim world. It was well written and very colorful. The author is a pediatrician in New York; her parents were themselves refugees from Afganistan.
that sounds like a very interesting book! 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm re-reading right now until finances get re-aligned from the move, but I just finished "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows" by Krys Radish.  She writes the most remarkable books about women and their friendships.
ahhh, that sounds like a lovely book!