Question Of The Day, Sunday, October 15, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really loved cooking but wanted my family to eat healthy so did it. However, I loved baking maybe because I love desserts a little too much. :wink: It was also a nice bonding experience for my children and myself. Both daughters have carried on our tradition. The one dessert I have to admit I've never mastered or even attempted is pie crust. I have made simple pies, e.g. bought pre-made crust and made the filling, but never made the crust from scratch or did a lattice top.
ahhh, pie crust!!! :thumbsup: that's a challenging thing to make!! :agree:

i attempted making pie crust a couple times, but it didn't turn out particularly well. so i found a recipe via the internet that makes a big batch, using a food processor, and is really very simple. the recipe uses 5 lbs of all purpose flour, vegetable shortening, and some lemon lime soda -- possibly another ingredient or two. i don't make it often, because i get something like 20 pie crust disks out of it, which i then wrap and freeze until i need them. it makes a pretty good pie crust too!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't cook or bake very much, but I do make some mean buttermilk biscuits and scones. I would like to learn how to make home made bread. I've never tried because it sounds like it takes a fair amount of time, and I'm one of those I WANT IT ALL NOW! types of people. LOL I love good bakery bread. It's definitely one of my downfalls as far as eating too many calories.
homemade bread!!! :clap: most excellent!! bakery bread is so good! :yummy:

you make buttermilk biscuits as well as scones from scratch! :redheartpump:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to cook. But after two years I think I've finally got my Swedish Meatball recipe where I want it.

I have mastered Peanut Butter cookies. Yesterday I noticed a honey peanut butter in the store. I thought "this would make good cookies". It did. I baked them last night and the family has eaten almost all of them already. I still have not mastered the Ghiradelli brownies though.
so Ghiradelli brownies are still challenging you!!! :agree: they sound like a 'worthy cause', working on mastering them!! :thumbsup:

ahhh, you have gotten your Swedish Meatball recipe just where you want it now! and have mastered peanut butter cookies, and honey peanut butter cookies too! most excellent! :)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have made it. It is all the hassle you mention and it is also quite time consuming. The frozen puff pastry in the grocery store is just fine. I would not make it again.

I do like to cook and I do like to bake but don't cook much and bake less these days. It's just DD and me and she is a very picky eater. Cooking for a picky eater takes all the fun out of it. :sigh:

I may cook more when it's just me. Bread/rolls, etc are also one of the things I have trouble with. I'm not a good kneader either.

I found this video from one of my favorite cooking channels. He makes pizza dough with 2 ingredients. Self rising flour and plain yogurt. Check it out. I haven't tried it but I want to. I can't see why the dough could not be cut into pieces and formed into rolls... :think:

I love this guy. He has a lot of great, simple recipes. He's very engaging and fun.
i use the puff pastry from the grocery store too. i use it to make quick 'rustic' style tarts, using pie filling (homemade or canned/store bought), and i've made a danish before too using the same (pie filling, and sometimes with cheese filling).

bread and rolls!!! :clap: you're 'kneading' challenged too, like i am! :alright: i use my bread machine to make rolls and buns. it makes the dough and then i pull it out, form the dough into rolls/buns, set them on a baking sheet with a light kitchen towel over them and place in a warm spot to rise for half an hour, then into the oven to bake. with the right recipe, that can turn out really very tasty rolls/buns! :agree:

oh my!! that's a lovely looking pizza! :yummy: hmmmm...:think:...two ingredient pizza dough, using ingredients i generally have on hand too. i'll have to try that recipe! :)

i think it would be worth trying, cutting that pizza dough into pieces and forming into rolls. based on some of the recipes i use for pizza dough and rolls/buns, they tend to be a little more chewy (pizza crust) and a little more dense (rolls/buns) -- i think because there's more flour vs liquid ingredients in those recipes, at least in the recipes i use. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not mastered making a roux. Things turn out fine in the end; but that roux process just doesn't seem to go right for me. I need someone physically present to show me what I'm doing wrong. Or maybe a good youtube video. Everything else I've been able to figure out; but I always make a clump of flour/butter making those roux.
making a roux!!! :agree: i think that's the problem i have when trying to make gravy too. i pretty much gave up on it. :sigh:

after reading @Winchester 's post, i just may give making gravy another try. :crossfingers: for both of us, that we're able to master making a roux, making gravy!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester I always make my mother make the gravy for Thanksgiving! Even when Thanksgiving is at my house. :lol:

Mostly I get stuck making a roux when I want genuinely homemade macaroni and cheese or some kind of cream sauce or casserole. It all works out in the mac & cheese at least. If it's a weeknight or something I just use a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. I'm just going to keep trying with the roux I guess!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not mastered making a roux. Things turn out fine in the end; but that roux process just doesn't seem to go right for me. I need someone physically present to show me what I'm doing wrong. Or maybe a good youtube video. Everything else I've been able to figure out; but I always make a clump of flour/butter making those roux.
The secret to lump free gravies and sauces is..............

Wondra Flour
http://www.goldmedalflour.com/OurFlourStory/OurFlour/WondraFlour
It has a fine texture and blends easily. :thumbsup:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do enjoy cooking and baking. I never did master biscuits from scratch. They are edible. That is about all I can say.
My sister made ones that would rise "sky high." I remember our grandmother made what she called "clabber biscuits."
We had a cow in the yard at that time and that is where she got the clabber or buttermilk.
biscuits remain somewhat of a challenge -- but are edible!!! :agree: that's actually pretty good!! :) in contrast, my homemade biscuits turn out like hockey pucks...:paperbag:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to make all kinds of things from scratch in my teen years but not bread. My mom made the best biscuits and deep fried seafood. I did some baking-chocolate cake out of this world but nowadays I can't even remember what ingredients to buy nevermind make a cake...

I too have a picky eater at home so I don't enjoy cooking anymore. I do love Pad Thai and would like to learn exotic dishes. I tried making pad thai once and it came out yucky. Same thing with fried rice. I just can't seem to get my rice to cook correctly in a pan. Thai food is good but looks complicated to make-so many ingredients.
So it would have to be A real Pad Thai. not frozen dinner kind.
ahhh, Pad Thai!!! :yummy: i also tried making it once, and mine turned out...not good. :sigh:

do you cook your rice the day before making the fried rice? i read that that's the way, to use rice that's cooked ahead of time. it always works for me, when i make fried rice. :agree: if you'd like, i'll locate the pork fried rice recipe i use and PM it to you.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one where you wiggle your nose and food magically appears. :crackup:

I hate cooking. I love baking but never have time. Not to mention I can't resist sweets so it's better not to have them in the house.
i think i'd like that too-- just wiggle my nose and food magically appears!!! :clap:

i can understand that!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No to both. I absolutely loathe cooking, and especially cleaning up after cooking. I keep trying to get DH to learn, but he won't, so we either go out or I throw something together. I should also mention I don't particularly like food either, which definitely doesn't make it easier for me to take up cooking.
:alright:

i really (really) don't enjoy the clean up after cooking or baking. i tell myself that it's something to do, not to think about. and i've actually gotten to the point that i really don't think about it, i just get it over with -- for many chores.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom yes you can PM me..that would make sense about using cooked rice-never thought of that...what makes it so dark brown in color?
You stir-fry the already-cooked rice in oil until it's brown. Cold rice is easier to stir-fry because it's not so sticky.

I make an OK stir-fry and a great lasagna but other than that I'm not much for cooking.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom yes you can PM me..that would make sense about using cooked rice-never thought of that...what makes it so dark brown in color?
okay! :) i'll get that recipe scanned into my computer today, then PM it to you.

the recipe i use doesn't actually brown the rice in the oil. the rice gets added at a certain point and mixed in with the other stuff that's been sauteed/stir-fried, and at the end soy sauce is added/mixed in which gives it the brown coloring.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those of us who have issues with breads or rolls, King Arthur Flour is offering a free online course.

From the email I got:

For the first time ever, enroll in one of our best-selling online classes for free — that's a $40 value! In On the Rise: Bun & Roll Techniques, our own Jeff Yankellow shares his secrets for crowd-pleasing sweet and savory breads in 7 on-demand video lessons. Hurry — this invitation expires in just 24 hours!

I got it this morning at 10:45 EST but it says it expires tonight at 11:59 PM MT. Here's the link to sign up:

Join Craftsy to get a FREE class from a King Arthur Flour Baking Expert! | Craftsy