Question of the Day: Sunday, May 8

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning!
For many of you, today is Mothers' Day, but it's not celebrated all over the world, many of you are not mothers, have no mother, have no children or for other reasons cannot celebrate or enjoy such a commercially successful Special Day. 🤶💐

It is also "No Socks Day!". I've no idea if anyone takes that seriously, but, having turned off the heating to save oil, it's quite chilly indoors and I am certainly not going without my thick slipper socks. 🧦 🦶

More in my line is "World Donkey Day"
1652000569293.png
celebrated annually on 8th May.
My dream of keeping a couple of poor old donkeys will never be fulfilled and there's no "Save the Donkey" charity near here, where I can volunteer.

And that thought brings me to my question of the day! Choose the question which suits your time in life.

Do you volunteer for any organisation? Or have you done so in the past?
If you had more time, would you like to help a particular cause?
Could you imagine doing voluntary work in the future?

My answer: I didn't start doing voluntary work till I retired as I wouldn't have been very reliable. But, since then, I spent five years working with a fair-trade charity, in a shop selling products from poorer countries. At the same time I was fostering cats and kittens for another local charity (I'm still active there but cutting down on my obligations as I'm finding it more difficult getting down on the floor and dealing with young cats under my feet!). I am now also involved with the hospice movement accompanying old and often dement people living in senior residences.
When I offered my help at a local GPs' surgery, which was drowning in paperwork, they insisted on paying me - so I can't call that voluntary work!
I wouldn't know what to do with my life if I didn't actively support something!

How about you?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago I volunteered for the RSPCA with cat socializing. I did it for several years and found it very rewarding especially when I saw a change in a previously nervous cat. I gave it up partly due to the amount of travelling to and from the centre and lack of time. If I were to volunteer again it would have to be connected to animals but I cant see it happening.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at a rescue, usually doing a cat care shift. It is also my non profit of choice to donate to. Unfortunately, I have had some health issues and have not been in a few months. I am hoping to get back to it soon. It's very rewarding to be able to just have a little interaction with the kitties who are awaiting their forever homes.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a child/teenager I volunteered at a historical village! I dressed in costume and when I was old enough gave tours of a building.

As a young adult, I volunteered at a children's museum.

I haven't done anything long term like that in a long time, just a few day things here or there.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did volunteer work for my previous internship. And while I really enjoyed it, it took a lot out of me.
Now that I have more clearance on my mental health, which changes my perspective on my future a little, I might consider it again. I'm currently studying to work with people in vulnerable positions, but might find a comfortable way to volunteer for something like an animal shelter or a similar organisation for animals

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in Girl Guides as a kid and I did many different volunteer events/fundraisers thru them.
If I could, I would love to help out our local shelter more, perhaps in the future I will be able to do so. We have also contemplated fostering for our local shelter, but I'm just not up to it right now...That, and I know I would get too attached and never want to give them up.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago, I was a co-founder of a labor support group in the area. I am a firm believer in the power of an educated labor union. I was involved in it for a good ten years.

I'd like to volunteer at a local cat shelter, but with Covid right now, I won't do it. Too many people in and out. They do an excellent job with the cats and, recently, celebrated their 500th adoption. I remember how excited they were when they hit 100, not too long ago.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only organization that I volunteered for was the U.S. Navy, back in 1967. Since then, I have been too busy trying to earn a living to volunteer my time, although we have financially supported several cat rescue groups over the years.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't volunteered anywhere. I just don't seem to have any extra time, plus I would really need the money if I were to work. If I won the lottery, maybe I would volunteer at an animal shelter or take in foster cats. I would definitely donate to them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I volunteered as a candy striper at a hospital when I was in high school and have always made it a mission to help others. As a young adult I volunteered to assist with fund raisers for a cat no-kill shelter. For the past 16 years I volunteered for a non-profit organization that helps children who have life threatening illnesses.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My list is too long, but, I recommend volunteering to anyone. I will say there are never enough folks for Meals on Wheels: recipients always want you to stay and talk but you can’t cos otherwise the meals will get cold. (So, maybe volunteer to hang out w/ the elderly—- they have GREAT stories).

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i do ... Soldier's Angels .... i write to women that are in the service and send them care packages ... i have been in this organization for many years and its my life's passion to be a part of something bigger then myself

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I spend time at a cat rescue in the county I live. I used to volunteer at a rescue lots further away. I like where I am now better. We run a thrift store and use the profits to finance feral cat colonies, neutering and fosters. We have many animals fostered. The people are great!

They save all the electronics and tools for me to check out!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't volunteer at the moment, but I have in the past. It's kind of weird how various things have lead to where I am in my life. I was on the human rights commission for my city while in high school and the other high school representatives and I had to put together a presentation about a human rights issue and we did it on homelessness. We had a nonprofit come and talk and I ended up volunteering for them for two years. Now in my current job, I work with the county in preventing homelessness.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My parents started us with volunteering early in life, reading to elders in nursing homes when we were just kids, and I've volunteered off and on all my life. Now I work with a food bank once a week distributing food boxes to families. I also work online with Translators Without Borders as a volunteer, translating documents from Spanish to English for various non-profit organizations.

gilmargl gilmargl My folks had rescue donkeys! They had several over the years, and rescued a couple of pygmy goats, too. After they sold their ranch, my sister took the two remaining donkeys to her ranch. One has since died but she still has the other one. :)

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to volunteer for the Therapeutic Riding Program for a number of years (Equestrian lessons for children and adults with physical, developmental and learning disabilities)

Also as a dancer, if it counts, I performed a lot at fundraiser charity events - including on behalf of local animal shelters and rescues. I also volunteered a couple times stocking shelves with food at local food banks.

I also have done the Kidney Walk for three years now!

I don't have the time now with two jobs and doing my degree, but in the future I really want to volunteer for the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program 👍

As someone who owns a donkey, I was also pretty stoked with Donkey Day :redheartpump: He did get a little extra spoiling!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to volunteer for a mental health charity for a few years and I really enjoyed it. I also volunteered at a summer camp for children with SEN a couple of years ago.