Question of the Day, Sunday, May 8, 2016

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good afternoon! 

Happy Mother's Day, to all of our moms (of humans) and kitty meowmies!

this morning waking up actually felt luxurious for me. i woke up feeling adequately rested, and our little (well, growing up...she'll be 9 months old on may 15th) deedee climbed on to my chest and settled in. deedee loves to snuggle, cuddle, receive any kind of affection...so she and i relaxed together for a good 15 minutes or more. our jaspurr was on the 'rooftop terrace' of the kitty apartment (extra large crate) curled up and peacefully napping; and our little punkin was also on the 'rooftop terrace', but happily laying in the woolrich bed taking a bath. a nice, peaceful morning! 

now, yesterday morning i woke up way too early to the sounds of kitty chewing on cords/cables. 
  that was our punkin, who has struggled with her cord/cables chewing. she doesn't do it very often these days, but it's so very dangerous for her.
  ...i've ordered two 100 foot rolls (2 different outside diameters) of wire loom, and will cover the last remaining exposed cords/cables throughout the house as soon as the package arrives.

two very different types of waking up for me, on two different mornings.

this got me thinking about how we wake up, and so for today's Question of the Day.........

What is your favorite way to wake up?

And, What way(s) do you dislike waking up?

my favorite way of waking up is snuggling with one (or more) of my cats.

ways which i dislike waking up would be:  to the sound of impending kitty vomiting -- i hear that sound in my sleep and will wake up immediately; any kind of loud thump, crash, or the sound of something(s) falling and/or breaking (this wakes me up immediately, though 'normal' kitty 'thundering herd of elephants' doesn't wake me up); feeling cold -- i can dream about feeling cold and wake up because i'm actually shivering while under the blankets in my bed with the heated mattress pad turned up high; the phone ringing, especially in the early morning hours or if it's a telemarketer; discovering that the power is out in my area, when i'm getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night; and on the rare occasion these days, that i've had a nasty nightmare.

okay, now it's your turn!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Snuggling with kitties is a great way to start the day.  

I wake up with hubby bringing me a hot cup of coffee almost every morning.  
  That's a pretty nice way to start the day.  

I have to agree with you, the disagreeable ways to wake up usually involve cat noises that mean some kind of clean up.  

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I have a general favorite way, although any time I don't wake up with a headache is good. I guess any time I wake up on my own (vs an alarm clock).

I think the moment in my mind that is my favorite was when one morning, Lucky decided I'd been in bed too long, and was meowing to wake me up. I had my head under the covers, so I pulled the cover off and saw his beautiful little face (upside down), looking at me and meowing again. That was seriously the best way I've woken up, ever.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am NOT a morning person. It's always hard for me to wake up. Fortunately DH understands this and loves me anyway! :lol3:

My favorite way to wake up is when DH will rub my back. He often brings me coffee on the weekends too. Oh; and never before I've had at least 7 hours of sleep. Preferably between 9 and 10am but NEVER before 8! Can you tell I was a joy to wake back when I worked outside the home? :lol3: DH used to find me sleeping in strange places. Like the shower. :anon:

I dislike being jarred awake. My first alarm clock as a kid was awful!! It was my mother's growing up. It was SO loud. Truly an alarm sound. That started my hatred of alarm clocks. I have one now that makes nature noises. Way kinder! I still hate it of course. :lol3: DH wakes me when he leaves for work so I don't use it. I prefer to be up before my kids too. My son is kind of ... exuberant first thing in the morning and its harsh pre-coffee! :lol3:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am allergic to mornings. Always have been, always will be. I'm more of a night owl.

BooBoo and Pepe start yelling now around 4 or 4:30 every morning. Amber tries to jump the gate in the hallway, can't make it, and then sits on the other side of the gate complaining about it. Loudly. Tabby's favorite time to use the litter box is around that same time and she digs to China and makes a huge mess all over the computer room floor. So we've got three cats screaming bloody murder and one cat who is digging forever. Sometimes Amber decides that she needs to start yelling around 3:00 and that makes it even worse because she gets Boo and Pepe started in that much earlier

Throw Mollipop and Muffin yelling at each other into the mix and well, mornings around here just suck.

Once we do get out of bed and get dressed, Boo and Pepe sit in the middle of the kitchen floor and scream...and I do mean scream. I'm preparing their food as quickly as I can, but it's not fast enough. It's beyond annoying at this point and I just want to scream with them. About the time I get their plates down, I need to get Jackie's food into her dish, so she doesn't come after the cats' food when she comes back into the house. And then I need to get Muffin's food in the bathroom where she now eats her meals.

I have often said that, once these cats (and Jackie) are gone, there will be no other animals in this house. Enough is enough. And I mean that. We dealt with Whisper and Bootser screaming bloody murder every single morning for a good 3-4 years before they passed away. Now it's BooBoo and Pepe. And I'm simply too tired to deal with animals any longer. What I wouldn't give for five minutes of peace in this house.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. It is what it is at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Snuggling with kitties is a great way to start the day.  

I wake up with hubby bringing me a hot cup of coffee almost every morning.  
  That's a pretty nice way to start the day.  

I have to agree with you, the disagreeable ways to wake up usually involve cat noises that mean some kind of clean up.  

that sounds like a very nice way to start your day! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I have a general favorite way, although any time I don't wake up with a headache is good. I guess any time I wake up on my own (vs an alarm clock).

I think the moment in my mind that is my favorite was when one morning, Lucky decided I'd been in bed too long, and was meowing to wake me up. I had my head under the covers, so I pulled the cover off and saw his beautiful little face (upside down), looking at me and meowing again. That was seriously the best way I've woken up, ever.
definitely! i totally dislike waking up with an alarm clock.

awwww......that's such a sweet way to wake up! 
  reminds me of how i'd wake up with my mini
(mickey, snick's brother/litter mate). mini would snuggle almost all night in my arms, and i'd wake up snuggling with him every morning. i'd then lay in bed with my boy snuggling, telling him how very much i love him and giving him pets and scritchins.