Question of the Day: Sunday, May 29

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LATE AGAIN!
I can't believe that it is already the end of May! Where was I, when all those weeks, days, hours and minutes simply flew by?

I'm feeling rather nostalgic, looking back at all those possessions I loved and, for want of a better word, "lost" to time.

Take clothes, for instance:
  • the dress with a circular skirt I had when I was 11 years old. It flared out when I was dancing - and I felt so good! (No doubt handed down to a younger sister)
  • a pair of soft leather Italian high-heels in a lovely tan (those probably wore out and, although I've searched, I've never found anything half as beautiful to replace them)
  • my wedding dress (turned a dreadful shade of greyish-yellow).
Do you have any favourite articles stored away in your memory which, although long gone, can still bring a smile to your face? Let's hear about them!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am terribly sentimental; so I’ve held onto a lot of little things. One missing thing is my childhood teddy bear Louie. I was a teenager the last time I saw him at my Grandparents house. I had taken a Dottie Dog sweater off another toy and put it on him. He went everywhere with me. :redheartpump:

I used to have a silver chain necklace that I wore a lot in high school. It wasn’t real silver; maybe a stainless steel because it never tarnished or bothered my skin. It was my grandmas and I loved it. I believe I dropped it getting out of my mother’s car at school. I’m sure someone found it but it was never turned in. My mother found a similar, longer version in an antique store once. I keep hoping someday, somehow I’ll be reunited with it. I’d probably still wear it if I had it! I should check ebay.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father had a world globe that was made in the early 1900s. It was always on his desk while I was growing up. I wanted to keep it dearly because the countries had all changed making it a real conversation piece. When I cleared the house out, I set it aside from the estate sale to take home. But when I came back a few weeks later, I was so overwhelmed by the chaos, I forgot about that, and put it on the pile to sell. I've never forgiven myself.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any clothes I have saved and for the most part I am more of a tosser than a saver. But I have recently been trying to reduce the amount things I have collected and am finding it is just way way more difficult than I imagined. I put a small but collectible piece of pottery on EBay this morning for example. I bought it because it was cheap and valuable, not because I loved it, and for the most part I have ignored it for forty some years but now that I am selling it I feel sad to see it go. Makes no sense but there it is.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Nothing of mine that I can think of, but I do have a couple of my parents’ shirts that I still wear: a flannel shirt that was my dad’s and a blouse that I gave my mom many years ago. Dad died in 2008 and Mom in 2018. Wearing them is like having my parents with me again. :redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My dad loved ice skating and took us skating almost every weekend when we were growing up. I kept those skates into adulthood and everywhere we moved. But somehow when we moved to our present house the skates disappeared. I can't imagine what could have happened to them but I remember them vividly.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Black roller derby skates, switchblade, typewriter, steamer trunk of photographs, suffragette dress, Dynomite Magazine issue w/ Jimmy Walker, Buzzcocks ticket stub, dad’s teaching chalk from 1959, & the teddy bear I found washed up on a beach under some seaweed.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My son's baby socks. I kept a pair.

And before my mom died, she gave me this tiny Sto. Nino figure. Being a devout Catholic that she was, she said it would bring me protection wherever I'd go. She was always worried every time I'd leave for months working overseas, so she gave me that figure of Baby Jesus. It would make me smile and cry at the same time.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some Sarah Coventry pins that belonged to my mother. They have small closings with sharp little pins in the back that are hard to close. I wanted to wear one and didn't have the patience/ability to get it on my blouse. I'm keeping them and thinking of her when I see them in my jewelry box.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My teddy bear, Poofsy. I carried him around like a doll and mom made little clothes for him.

Last edited: