Question of the Day, Sunday, March 13

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very good morning to everyone reading this thread!

A personal fashion question - not only for women!

Yesterday, I had an invitation for an afternoon coffee and cake with my grandson and his girlfriend and I was standing in front of my overfilled wardrobe wondering what to wear. I had plenty of time and while rejecting most tops, pants, dresses etc. my thoughts went back to, what I will call, “My four ages of choosing what to buy to wear”.

1. The Fun Age
    Being young and willing to try anything.
    In my case this meant: uncomfortable suspender belts with stockings; interesting combinations such as white plastic boots with pastel mini dresses in summer, to long black boots with a red tight mini skirt with black laces up the sides in winter; and, of course, far too much make-up! 🤡

2. The Optimistic Age
    Wearing things that looked attractive in catalogues or shop windows, and shoes that my (ex) husband liked – stiletto heels with pointed toes (that ruined my feet). Suits and blouses for work - not exactly flattering, but I didn't notice that!

3. Age of Self-knowledge
    Slowly I began to realise that pale mauve and small patterns near my face just helped to make me completely invisible and large colourful patterns blotted out my own features. Even the most “natural”, “bio”, “dermatologically-tested” make-up and hair colouring were causing flare-ups of herpes and eczema so I began to avoid those as well.

4. Final Stage of Acceptance
    I am a naturally skinny, colourless, old lady now wearing comfortable clothing from underwear to shoes. Scarves are my best accessories to hide my scraggy neck and separate mauve, pale green and patterned items from my face. Fashion is no longer an issue!
Yesterday I wore mainly grey but with a magenta (purple) loop scarf. I was certainly not the best-dressed woman at the party, but I didn’t feel too bad – the best I can hope for at my time of life.

So, I am well-positioned in stage 4!

At what stage are you – how do you choose your clothes? Have you ever used the services of a colour or style consultant? Even my youngest grandson (19) is considering it – I have no idea why! I enjoyed experimenting and certainly didn't want anyone telling me what to wear and what colours to avoid! :lol:

Have a nice day!

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
what a fun question ! I dont mean to sound arrogant , but I am a " I wear what I want , and dont care what others think of it " age LOL ...red heads ! :insertevillaugh: actually , I have lost over 100 lbs. when I was so big, I always wore black ( to look thinner) . Now I wear what I enjoy !!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm a combination of Fun Age and Age of Self-knowledge

I still colour my hair, at the moment it is streaks of dark blue and turquoise green over a darker blue, but I'm thinking of bleaching the roots and adding a lighter green for spring. I love make-up and unusual clothes. I like shopping in second hand stores and putting together my own combinations of styles and colours.

However, I've realised that I'm too much of a klutz to wear light colours, so white is out. And I live in the middle of a forest where most of the roads are dirt tracks, so I only wear very sensible, sturdy boots these days.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say stage 3. It's really hard for me to buy clothes though. I'm tall but not skinny like a tall woman should be. Even when I'm not overweight, I'm not skinny. I have an hourglass figure instead of the small bust and narrow hips most tall women have, so even most tall sizes don't fit right. I like and wear mostly dresses during warm weather, they look best on me. Never heels though! I have several pairs of cute flats and sandles.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess 4? with some 2 mixed in if needed...I dress for comfort the majority of the time. Of course there are times where I pull out the heels and put something on that after couple of hours I can't wait to get out of, but for the most part I'm comfy. It's not so much that I don't care what I look like, because you can get clothes that are comfortable and still look nice, but I do put comfort over fashion.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like a mixture of all of them depending on the day. I mostly dress for comfort, but I'm not going to wear pajama pants to the park, and I'm optimistic I'll lose another 10lbs at some point.

Tricky question.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm definitely past the "stiletto heels with pointed toes" stage, but other than that, I mostly just wear casual clothes - leggings, jeans, capris, etc., depending on the season, when I leave the house. And sweatpants or shorts when I'm home, again depending on the season. Tops would be sweaters or t-shirts/tank tops. With footwear I definitely go for comfort now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'd probably say #3, Age of Self-Knowledge. I've always leaned toward a sporty casual look and the only thing I do to dress it up is a piece of jewelry. I loved having Casual Friday at school. Teachers wore their spirit wear which was a hoodie or tee shirt with the school logo on it. I can't tell you how many tee shirts and hoodies I've collected but I never run out. :biggrin:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess self-knowledge and acceptance. I know what I like and wear it. Plain, no prints except for words sometimes. Dark colors, no bright ones. Boot Cut Jeans. I like 3 quarter length shirts for winter, just discovered them and they are so much easier than rolling up my sleeves all the time. For shoes I like washable shower sandals. I wear my socks with them in the winter.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have rarely been a slave to trends, and have always intuitively known which colors I look best in. I haven't always purchased the most flattering colors or prints because I love orange and yellow but look terrible in them. However, I can easily dress to suit my shape and know raspberry pink, black, and most non-icy blues are my best friends.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been in any of those categories. I've never really cared about clothes or fashion and, being neurodivergent, couldn't accurately duplicate trends anyway. When I was younger I wore whatever my mom bought. And '80s kids' clothes were UGLY. I wouldn't wear jeans until I was a teen because of sensory issues, and the alternatives weren't great. They didn't have cute leggings back then.

When I was a teen and attempted to care about that stuff, like I said, I can't accurately duplicate trends---the rules aren't clearly defined and I don't have a "feel" for it---and '90s fashion was insane anyway, so whenever I attempted to be trendy I looked like someone threw me in a closet and shook it, lol. Most of the time I dressed like an old lady or at least someone's mom. Also I would try to downplay my chest as much as possible to prevent men from looking at me (thanks a ton, purity culture), so any shirts I wore had to be several sizes too big. Ugh I was a disaster.

For "business casual" I wore polos and khakis. Then I got a job with a uniform so that stress is gone, thankfully.

Now I'm in the "if you don't like it, kindly point your eyeballs somewhere else" stage, which means big t-shirts, mens' basketball shorts and Birkenstock-type sandals (I'm too cheap for real Birks, lol) in the summer and big sweatshirts, pull-on stretch jeans, and off-brand Uggs in the winter. Crocs with socks when it's in between Uggs temp and sandal temp. Suck it, stupid and oppressive fashion rules!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm probably a 3. I stay pretty comfortable most of the time because I'm home a lot. And a lot of what I wear at home is older versions of t-shirts that are faded and discolored. But they still match and are fine for answering the door and things like that. When I go anywhere I get dressed. Usually in jeans but the top varies from casual to nicer. It feels good to dress feel put together.

I have stopped wearing makeup though. It was burning my eyes more and more with my oily skin. I've never been one to wear tons of makeup anyway; but I used to make sure my eyes were done every day. No matter what foundation I tried; I got more acne from it. The only time I miss makeup now is when we are getting pictures taken. I've gone from "can't imagine not having eye makeup on" to "can't understand how people spend so much time caking makeup on to where you can't see their skin at all..." :lol:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a combination of 1,3 & 4 I for #1 I prefer light colored colorful Shirts. Shorts & Pants. I'm into the Cargo style Shorts & Pants. I wear Birkenstock Sandals & Clogs usually with socks. Plus Keen sports shoes. I dislike blue Jean's. Or any blue colored form of clothing. #3 I color my hair. I despise Grey Hair. #4, I dress as I please usually. I like themed sweatshirts. I dress up on rare occasions.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Been mulling over this question a lot. As long as nobody messes w/ my small but cherished collection of soccer & punk rock t shirts, I’m fine. But as to category? All over the place, I’m such a tomboy, like Jo in Little Women. If my pants have deep pockets for a small knife and wallet (not those girly stupid pockets) am good to go. Keep a small but surprisingly snazzy set of dresses to surprise the neighbors. The accoutrement consist of boxing gloves and wraps and a decent pair of hiking boots. Strongly believe that if you’ve reached stage 4, it shouldn’t keep you from experiencing stage 1.