TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andy Pandy.
Muffin the mule.
Prudence kitten.
Enid Blyton.
Books about boarding schools.
i see (from doing a little looking into online) that Andy Pandy was a marionette, in the TV show.

it looks like Enid Blyton wrote many children's books, and her books have continued to be bestsellers.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i see (from doing a little looking into online) that Andy Pandy was a marionette, in the TV show.

it looks like Enid Blyton wrote many children's books, and her books have continued to be bestsellers.
I think muffin the mule was also and I think prudence kitten my have been a hand glove thing. It's a long time ago. Yes Enid Blyton was massively popular but a very unpleasant woman.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Favorite comic strip: Garfield and Peanuts

Comic Book: Archie, and Casper (they had Little Lulu in the books too)

Children's Story: Stuart Little. I still read it occasionally as an adult, lol.

Cartoon: My Little Pony, Inspector Gadget, Looney Tunes, the older Mickey Mouse,Tom and Jerry (they don't make cartoons like these anymore!)

TV Series: Full House, Blossom and Alf.

Anime: I didn't start watching them until I was a teenager.. though it was InuYasha and Hellsing. 
ahhh....Garfield!  great comic strip. i especially liked Odie.

i'm glad you mentioned some anime series. both look very interesting, but especially Hellsing.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Favourite comic strip:  Mmm...only really started reading them around late teens/adult. Never cared for Peanuts or Archie. In any case, Pooch Cafe, Sherman's Lagoon, Hagar the Horrible, The Other Coast.

Comic Book:  Was never into comic books, but if you count manga - Saiyuki series, D-Gray.Man, XxxHolic, Black Butler etc

Children's Story:   Pippi Longstocking, and a buttload of history/science books and novels.

Cartoon: Hey, Arnold!, Recess, What-a-Mess, Arthur, The Land Before Time, The Magic School Bus.

TV Series: Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Wishbone, Bill Nye The Science Guy, Xena: Warrior Princess, Sinbad, That 70's Show.

Anime: Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, The Vision of Escaflowne, Dragon Ball Z, 3x3 Eyes, Samurai Champloo, Princess Tutu etc
your mention of The Other Coast had me doing some 'looking into' on the internet, and i found the gocomics website -- really great site! whole lot of comic strips, updated daily.

just looking at more info about XxxHolic, the story sounds really good, interesting. i read that the storyline crosses over with that of quite a few other CLAMP series. so the story sounds more complex, involved -- in a good way.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Favourite cartoon: It's a tie between Bug's bunny and Johnny Quest, ( I almost forgot about that one!)

Favourite T.V. Series. Carol Burnett show

Comic book: Archie, Millie the model.

Comic strip: Also really liked Calvin and Hobb's, still do. Garfield.

Boy that was a trip down memory lane....! 
i had almost forgotten about Jonny Quest too!

one of my favorite skits on The Carol Burnett Show were the ones with carol burnett and tim conway as Mrs. Wiggins and Mr. Tudball.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite cartoon now is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. It's great! (it's cancelled now so no new episodes but I'm pretty sure they have re-runs and of course you can always find a show somewhere). But it wasn't on when I was a kid. I don't actually remember a favorite but maybe Tiny Toons. Otherwise, we were kind of stuck with whatever was on so we just watched whatever they played, LOL. We grew up overseas and we only had one channel in English so not a lot of choices.

I read Archie comics all the time. Looking back, I don't think those portrayed healthy gender relationships, or even healthy, normal family and interpersonal relationships. And because that was the only exposure to American teen culture I had, I don't think that helped my social development at all

I never liked Anime. My brother did, and my friends. I just never understood the appeal. My brother liked Dragon Ball Z and my friends liked Sailor Moon. I liked the little Sanrio characters that Japanese manufacturers put on everything from notebooks to shoes, but they didn't actually have cartoons about them, as far as I know.

I read just everything when I was a kid. I would go to the library and take as many books as I was allowed at a time (I think 10?), then read them all quickly, return them, and take the next 10 books off the shelf. I didn't really have favorites at the time but now I've decided I like Kate Seredy books best (The Chestry Oak, The Good Master, etc.). I also have a collection of all the Newbery Award winners but I haven't been keeping up lately.

I don't remember many specific TV shows I liked either. Again, we only had one channel so they only sent the highest-rated shows and we had to watch whatever was on. I do remember liking Quantum Leap, Law & Order, and Star Trek DS9 but I was older then, not a little kid. I guess I remember the usual '90s shows like Full House and Alf but I don't think I was really into them.

For newspaper comics, I like Calvin & Hobbs and The Far Side for old ones, of the currently-running comics I like Zits best. And Pearls Before Swine, LOL. That guy is one sick puppy.
i'd never heard of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, though reading about it, it sounds like a great storyline.

sanrio characters -- Hello Kitty is one! Did you have a favorite sanrio character?

those Kate Seredy books sound like they'd be something i'd enjoy reading -- looking into them on the internet. i read a lot of different kinds of books too -- i have pretty eclectic tastes.

those Pearls Before Swine cartoons are very funny!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think muffin the mule was also and I think prudence kitten my have been a hand glove thing. It's a long time ago. Yes Enid Blyton was massively popular but a very unpleasant woman.
wasn't there another author we talked about that was very unpleasant too, though the name escapes me at the moment.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
newspaper comic: Ginger Meggs

comic book: I remember liking Wendy the good little witch.

children's story: Snugglepot and Cuddlepie

cartoon: Felix the Cat

book:   The Phantom Tollbooth

tv series: Bellbird.. it was like the 'neighbours' of my era, but set in a small country town and it was very, very tame!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

tv series: Bellbird.. it was like the 'neighbours' of my era, but set in a small country town and it was very, very tame!
the gumnut babies! so cute! and those dastardly Banksia Men. i did an internet search to learn more about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

and looking into The Phantom Tollbooth, i really like the storyline as well as the puns.

Bellbird sounds like a very nice 'soap opera'. from searching online, i read that there were thought to be no surviving episodes of Bellbird by many people. but there is a collection of surviving episodes stored in the Australian National Archives. some color episodes are also known to exist in the hands of private collectors, and there's one black and white episode that can be viewed at the Australian Mediatheque at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

the gumnut babies! so cute! and those dastardly Banksia Men. i did an internet search to learn more about Snugglepot and Cuddlepie.

and looking into The Phantom Tollbooth, i really like the storyline as well as the puns.

Bellbird sounds like a very nice 'soap opera'. from searching online, i read that there were thought to be no surviving episodes of Bellbird by many people. but there is a collection of surviving episodes stored in the Australian National Archives. some color episodes are also known to exist in the hands of private collectors, and there's one black and white episode that can be viewed at the Australian Mediatheque at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Melbourne.
     Good sleuthing!
  I started to question the whole program when main character Charlie fell off a wheat silo, but then they wanted to bring him back as his twin brother...   my young brain felt that was just getting silly.

Mind you, nowadays that would be quite an acceptable plot line.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good sleuthing!
  I started to question the whole program when main character Charlie fell off a wheat silo, but then they wanted to bring him back as his twin brother...   my young brain felt that was just getting silly.

Mind you, nowadays that would be quite an acceptable plot line.
oh! i think i'd be starting to question the whole program too at that point!

i was talking with a friend recently about soap operas, and she was saying how the storylines were getting just too much like the bad/really horrible things we see in the news these days. so much so that she stopped watching a particular soap opera.