Question of the Day: Sunday, January 1, 2023

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wishing you all peace, health and happiness.

It's New Year's Day and what a wonderful day! And I'm not talking about the weather.

Where I live now, New Year's Day is a public holiday - I assume mainly to allow those who celebrated the coming of the New Year to recover from excess alcohol and lack of sleep before returning to work. But, where I grew up, New Year's Eve was only celebrated by a fraction of the population coming a very poor second to Christmas and 1st January was just a normal working day. As a child, I could never understand why anyone would want to make a big thing about the date randomly chosen as the beginning of a new year. Well, counting had to start somewhere - but why not in summer and why celebrate?

But today, I have changed my mind. Christmas is not always the happy, family affair, celebrating peace on earth, goodwill to all men. If this ideal picture cannot be applied to your own life on 25th December it is difficult to send out flippant messages to friends and relations, who may be suffering grief and unhappiness themselves. But the New Year is different. Even when one doesn't know what tomorrow will bring, within the context of a whole year - 365 days - the horizon is far wider. Greetings and good wishes for a Happy New Year may not be fulfilled immediately but there is always hope for the future.

As you can see, I have no qualms about sending you all good wishes for 2023. Tomorrow may not bring relief to grief and suffering but there are 364 more tomorrows when anything can happen - hopefully all positive - before we are at the start of another New Year.

So today is wonderful in spite of being cloudy, damp and grey. It brings hope, even when I will (as always) spend my time visting someone in isolation, hoping that he will at least open his eyes and recognise me.

How will you be spending this New Year's Day of hope?
(If your New Year's Day is later than mine, feel free to comment :))

PS I'm going to post this, even though it reads like a sermon, not intended! SORRY!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've done mine. :biggrin:
Coffee with a friend, then preparing to teach again. Since I work from home that means making everything clean and nice, getting classes sorted etc. It's not really different to any other day, except that I did it with a new '2023 is going to be so much better' attitude. :)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well gf wanted to see the sunrise of the new years together but i cant find a place to drive out to :lol: dont feel like spending new years morning getting hassled by police for a spur of the moment romantic thing so probably we will just spend it lying in our bed being lazy along with graycie ofcourse atleast until gf feels like adding more stuff to her closet

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you can see, I have no qualms about sending you all good wishes for 2023. Tomorrow may not bring relief to grief and suffering but there are 364 more tomorrows when anything can happen - hopefully all positive - before we are at the start of another New Year. gilmargl what a wonderful way to look at the new year. I'll be doing the usual new year's dinner with the grown ups. Christmas is all about the kid's for us so new year's is grown up time.;) hope everyone has a happy new year.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing special. I will make pork chops later, I don't know where the thing about pork on New Year's came from, but it seems pretty common in the U.S. The holiday for work is tomorrow since we are normally off on Sunday so looking forward to a day off from work.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would have done more laundry today but heard on the news about a strange superstition that it's bad luck to do laundry on New Year's. Instead I will be taking a ride to my favorite coffee roastery to pick up new beans. I'm running low on my drink of choice and lord knows no one wants to see me without my 1st cup of the morning. :flail:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quite day of lounging and whatever. I'm back to the bump and grind of work tomorrow so I'm taking it easy today to relish in my last day of holidays. I have a puzzle I may work on, movies to watch, a few household chores, I made honey garlic meatballs for dinner tonight and they are in the slow cooker, I "should" do a bit of paperwork...we'll see how that goes...I have a diamond art thing I could start on...Right now I'm just nursing a hot chocolate...let's see where the day takes me.....which probably won't be too far from the couch.;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was beautifully put gilmargl gilmargl :redheartpump:

We are spending a quite weekend at home. I made appetizers last night like normal and quickly realized I’m not recovered enough for all that. So we have appetizers and leftovers to see us through some quiet family time. I’m working on a jigsaw puzzle and watching movies. I have always loved quiet time to just be. No plans; no requirements. It’s restorative to me. :cloud9:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quiet peaceful day.Not anything going on,so probably watch some tv,fold and put away a load of towels done yesterday,investigate my new kitchen gadget....son and daughter in law got us our own NFG 5 in 1!Hubby is putzeling outside in the shop,his bees are flying today so he's in his glory....