Question of the Day: Sunday, December 30

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, 2013 is almost upon us, for better or worse. Today's question: was 2012 good to you?

I guess it was good to us because we're still here, but it could have been a little bit more generous. I'll be happy to see a new year though. Something about a new year makes me feel like anything is possible...at least for the first few day, until it becomes obvious its the same crap, different year 

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a mixed year. I've been grieving for my sister who passed away last year - but at least we haven't lost any more loved ones since. Been still dealing with the fallout of my father passing away 3 years ago, but his estate is now safe and that's finally all under control (it's been a LONG road). Started a new job this year which has been challenging and rewarding - but also really difficult and overwhelming, almost nightmarish at times. I've met quite a few new people this year... some I like but some I really, really don't. In May my black pearl bracelet fell off of my wrist when I was in Texas on business (my husband had given it to me as a special Christmas gift after my sister died), but the jewelry store just replaced it for free. 

Overall 2012 rates up there as a pretty good year. 

Last edited:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't the greatest year. It had its ups and downs, and put us to the test. Hoping 2013 will be even better...
A few parts of it...

• In January we moved into an apartment 3 miles from the job I had for 5½ years - nice place, nice area, good rate.
  • Had to pay an extra $3,000 in repairs to my wrecked Mustang that weren't originally quoted.
  • In March, said job laid me off. That ruined our plans on moving by the end of this year, as we both want out of here. Income inflow was cut in half.
  • Money's been tight on one income. Lease was renewed in August for a year because it was cheaper, and because we weren't able to move as planned. The rent went up over $100/month. Made things tighter financially.
  • Started learning BF's job and got really good at it and helping out. Someone got cranky and made it so I couldn't help out anymore. I was pretty upset, as I was doing it all for free to kill time and enjoyed doing it. I still help out from time to time doing little things but not to the extent I had been.
  • Got a big diesel Cummins and drove to Illinois to get it, fun road trip (though made for a LONG weekend of driving! 13 hours each way!)
  • Had a fun trip to NYC with the BF, who'd never been, and spent time with my grandma in NJ.
  • Adopted Gnat from the SPCA.
  • Gnat escaped for 4 days. That really added to not having a great relationship with the BF's mom, which has caused some tension recently.
  • Got to stay in Pigeon Forge, TN for the first time and loved it!
  • Revisited Pigeon Forge and stayed in a cabin for our 1yr anniversary.
  • Broke one of the turbos in the truck at a dyno day in NC, have yet to cough up $1800 to fix it...
  • Changed my major in school to something I WANT to do rather than what I felt I should do because of my last job. Found out I had already completed a good bit of courses.
  • Was supposed to close on a house on Dec 28 but it fell through because this state is incompetent and messed up the BF's credit report by continually adding tax liens that should've been canceled and removed 4x over.
  • Lost the shop we'd been working on our cars in and had to stuff one car into our storage garage at the apartment. Many good memories at that shop ... left our 'mark' on one of the I-beams today before locking the doors for the last time.
  • Picked up a side job, made over $270 the first week, for a whole ~2 hours of work!
  • Finally was interviewed for a position on the transportation industry! Start in Jan, so I'm hoping that will start the year off right. :)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, where to begin......

The Good......

* February: I got the promotion that I had tried over and over for.  A good start!

* March: Got another car. Not a great one but it beat taking the bus to work.

* Early September: Moved to a very nice house. Great rent and the landlords are good friends of ours.

The Bad.....

Mid September: Got laid off from the job I fought so hard for.  

Late September: Went to the doc to get a lump in my left breast checked out while my insurance was still active.

Early October: Went in for a mammogram/ultrasound for a suspicious lump.

Late October: Went in for a biopsy for said suspicious lump

Mid November: Diagnosed with breast cancer.

December: Various doctors appointments, blood tests, and waiting to see when my surgery is.

The good thing about all this is that since I am unemployed and low income, I qualified for a special program that is going to cover all the costs of  my partial mastectomy and reconstructive surgeries and the chemo/radiation therapies. The cancer center will provide me with a wig once I start losing my hair. This is a Godsend since the surgeries and treatments will most like cost in excess of $500,000! Plus I will get a new rack out of it since they will do a lift on my unaffected breast. 

2013 will bring my surgeries and treatments. It will be a long, hard road but I can do it. 

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
2013 will bring my surgeries and treatments. It will be a long, hard road but I can do it. 
Yes, you can do it! We all know you can! 

The Good:

We are all in relatively good health (can't get much better than that)

The cats are all in relatively good health, even Whisper, our girl in kidney failure.

We have no mortgage payment! 

Got most of the new kitchen finished and met some really nice people along the way (believe it or not, I'm talking contractors and electricians; those guys are the best and I'd highly recommend them for anything)

We took in Muffin, my mom's cat and, although she's a bit of a hellion from time to time, it's probably one of the best things to happen to Tabby; those two are pretty much inseparable at this point. Even Amber has gotten into the fray from time to time, so we're happy to see them getting along. Believe me, Muffin has come a very long way since she first came to live with us.

The Bad:

Mom's death. I think I'm still trying to deal with losing my dad and so, although we were kind of prepared for Mom to go, it still shocked us.

We took in Muffin, my mom's cat and it's created issues between Mollipop and Muffin. I think they're never going to get along. Never. But it's only been about three months, so we shall see.

Overall, it's not been a bad year, other than losing Mom. 

Welcome 2013!!!! (Tomorrow, that is.)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's been pretty good, I guess. We both still have jobs, even though DH isn't getting the amount of hours he's accustomed to, but we're fine. We have that to be grateful for!

The good:

1.  Finally got my Mom's estate issues solved, with no suing my brothers.  I got much, much more of the inheritance that I ever thought I would, which gives us some nice financial security (and me, some nice little toys), but I hate the way I came into having this money (Mom's death), so it's a bittersweet "good".

2.  I accomplished my goal of socializing much more. We've actually had to decline invitations for a meet-up group we belong to--they have so much stuff to do. We had my BF and her fiance over last night for board games. We enjoyed it so much that we want to do it every month!

3.  No home improvements, after 7 straight years!

4.  We've had so many sweet moments with the kitties this year.

5.  I'm beginning the process of simplifying my life, i.e., getting rid of stuff I haven't used for years.  My house is not cluttered, but I just know the stuff is in the attic, etc., and I simply don't want extra stuff in my life anymore. I had planned to do this on this vacation--before the stomach virus hit. I have bought the garage cabinets, though, for the garage part of the process.

The bad:

1. In March, the last brother who was still speaking to me suddenly stopped doing so. Have no idea why--the last time we spoke, things were great. I think he's listening to the other 2 idiots.

2.  I 've been sick a lot this year, including my knee last month (still some aches and pains there), and that stomach virus (still a bit tired).

3.  I've had insomnia a lot more.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be glad to see 2012 go! It was not a great year for me or my family.

We lost 3 family members. (two were my dad's siblings, so he is now the last one left.)

My aunt (dad's younger sister) in September,

My uncle (dad's 2nd oldest brother), in June,

My aunt (dad's sister-in-law) that was married to my dad's oldest brother who passed from Parkinson's 5yrs. ago.

My poor dad, he is the last sibling left. I can't imagine how that feels. (& he's a young 67yrs old).

Angel has had Cystitis 3xs in the last 5months, (despite being on raw (Bravo) & B.G. sense summer,  but hopefully with a food change, it won't come back.
 We think B.G had to many minerals).

However, I am grateful for having a great family! Even at 43, my parents have been there for me when I've needed, & always are. (I'm still single, so it means a lot!)

I am also grateful to have a job, & to have gotten Care Credit, in order to help w/ all of the charges incurred from Angel's Cystitis! (once pd. off, he will be getting Ins. even though I don't have any).

I am also VERY grateful to have found this site!!!  I have learned so much, and everyone here is always  so incredibly helpful, & supportive.

I can't say enough good things about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "I love you guys!!"

Even though I don't like uneven numbers, I will be happy to see 2013, & pray that it is a better year..... It has to be!!

"Happy New Year Everyone!!"