Question Of The Day, Sunday, April 1, 2018

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning! :hellocomputer:

and......Happy Easter too! although, it's also April Fools Day......:think:

today i'll be making a new dessert recipe -- peanut butter swirl brownies. :yummy: it's always exciting to try a new one!

so with this on my mind --

What was the most recent new recipe you made, or new dish/dessert/etc that you tried (if it wasn't one you made)? and -- Did you like it?

i'll start!

the most recent new recipe i made was one for ground chicken taco burgers. it wasn't a hard recipe to make, and the burgers tasted really very good! :agree: i had quite a bit of ground chicken that i had worked on using up, and this recipe used up the last of it -- i don't like to waste. :nono:

i really enjoy trying new recipes, for main dishes, desserts, or pretty much anything. there's another new recipe that i'll be making soon, for a chocolate cherry chip (bundt) cake -- chocolate (or in my case, carob) cake with chocolate (/carob) chips and maraschino cherries in it! :cloud9:

i haven't tried one yet, but i keep reading here at TCS about the veggie burger at Burger King. i'd like to try one, though don't know when that might be. :D

How about you?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I was just in San Francisco and ate at an Ethiopian restaurant. I tried mesir wat, a delicious lentil dish. I’ve already found recipes for that and ye’abesha gomen (collard greens) to try here at home. :yummy:

If I get really ambitious, I’ll try making the flatbread that is traditionally served with it.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook simply, just for myself and usually just make my own creations! One that I just "created" was Soba noodles (because they are so thin) with a little olive oil, black pepper and vegetables like red, yellow and green peppers, onions and grilled eggplant. The vegetables I use are unseasoned frozen vegetables. I like this little creation of mine and it is ready in a few minutes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just in San Francisco and ate at an Ethiopian restaurant. I tried mesir wat, a delicious lentil dish. I’ve already found recipes for that and ye’abesha gomen (collard greens) to try here at home. :yummy:

If I get really ambitious, I’ll try making the flatbread that is traditionally served with it.
you tried a couple Ethiopian dishes, at an Ethiopian restuarant in San Fransisco!!! :thumbsup: that sounds wonderful!! :)

i've never tried Ethiopian cuisine. :dunno: it does sound quite interesting, though! :agree:

and, i absolutely love San Fransisco! :redheartpump: i've visited the city 4 times, but have never lived there.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was just in San Francisco and ate at an Ethiopian restaurant. I tried mesir wat, a delicious lentil dish.
I absolutely love Ethiopian food, I feel a craving coming on. ;) Chicago has some amazing Ethiopian restaurants too.

We are going to our neighbor's house for the holiday today and I'm bringing a corn souffle that I tried at a relative's home. Fingers crossed it comes out okay. :crossfingers:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook simply, just for myself and usually just make my own creations! One that I just "created" was Soba noodles (because they are so thin) with a little olive oil, black pepper and vegetables like red, yellow and green peppers, onions and grilled eggplant. The vegetables I use are unseasoned frozen vegetables. I like this little creation of mine and it is ready in a few minutes!
you enjoy creating your own recipes, and the most recent one was using Soba noodles, veggies, with black pepper and a little olive oil!!! :clap: really awesome!! :D

that really sounds like it would be very tasty! :agree: i've always said that creating recipes isn't a talent of mine, and that i need a recipe to follow. i do think that over time, i've become comfortable first with substituting ingredients in recipes, and more recently changing recipes so that they're different...versions. so it may be that eventually i'll be able to create recipes. :think:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried making short ribs in a red wine sauce last night in the Instant Pot.

Kind of a fail.

I really haven't figured out the liquid to food ratio yet. I was using a recipe not meant for the IP, my first mistake. Second was I didn't buy enough short ribs for us. I thought 1-1/2 pounds would be enough, sure sounded like it but when I opened the package, um, no. Mostly bone, barely any meat. I think I needed more like 3 pounds because of all the bone. I tried to thicken up the gravy with a slurry but that didn't even help it.

The homemade red bliss garlic mashed potatoes on the side were excellent though. So basically we had like an ounce of meat and a bowl full of potatoes for dinner.

I just need to stick with recipes made for the IP. My husband didn't seem to mind though, he though it tasted ok. Bless his heart LOL

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last new recipe I tried was a copycat recipe for Chipotle Barbecoa. It wasn't exactly the same but it was good. I prefer the shredded beef to ground beef for tacos, burritos and enchiladas. I used a large chuck roast and it froze well in small portions.

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stir fry with cubed pork, mushrooms, onion, red peppers, green peas, a few cauliflower/broccoli florets, simmered in black bean sauce for a few minutes. Serve on cooked rice.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not very creative in the kitchen. The last thing I tried was a salad dressing from scratch. It had lemon, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Aleppo pepper, black pepper, a garlic clove and oregano. It was so-so. Live and learn. I'll do better next time! :thumbsup:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I made a curry on Saturday, which turned out to be rather tasty. DH normally won't eat Indian food, but he didn't complain about it.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Ethiopian food, I feel a craving coming on. ;) Chicago has some amazing Ethiopian restaurants too.

We are going to our neighbor's house for the holiday today and I'm bringing a corn souffle that I tried at a relative's home. Fingers crossed it comes out okay. :crossfingers:
you made a corn souffle!!! :thumbsup: that sounds great!! :)

how did it turn out?

i've never had souffle, any kind. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried making short ribs in a red wine sauce last night in the Instant Pot.

Kind of a fail.

I really haven't figured out the liquid to food ratio yet. I was using a recipe not meant for the IP, my first mistake. Second was I didn't buy enough short ribs for us. I thought 1-1/2 pounds would be enough, sure sounded like it but when I opened the package, um, no. Mostly bone, barely any meat. I think I needed more like 3 pounds because of all the bone. I tried to thicken up the gravy with a slurry but that didn't even help it.

The homemade red bliss garlic mashed potatoes on the side were excellent though. So basically we had like an ounce of meat and a bowl full of potatoes for dinner.

I just need to stick with recipes made for the IP. My husband didn't seem to mind though, he though it tasted ok. Bless his heart LOL
short ribs in a red wine souce, in the Instant Pot!!! :clap: that sounds like it would taste good!! :D

and red bliss garlic mashed potatoes! :cloud9:

maybe more of a...logistical issue...

i've read where people have had some issues using an Instant Pot. from what i read, part of it is getting used to using the Instant Pot. :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last new recipe I tried was a copycat recipe for Chipotle Barbecoa. It wasn't exactly the same but it was good. I prefer the shredded beef to ground beef for tacos, burritos and enchiladas. I used a large chuck roast and it froze well in small portions.
you made a copycat recipe for Chipotle Barbecoa!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i'm glad it turned out good! :agree: and it froze well in small portions too!!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stir fry with cubed pork, mushrooms, onion, red peppers, green peas, a few cauliflower/broccoli florets, simmered in black bean sauce for a few minutes. Serve on cooked rice.
you made a stir fry with cubed pork, veggies, and simmered in a black bean sauce...served on rice!!! :clap: most excellent!! :D

i do love stir fry meals! :yummy:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm always trying something new, whether it's from a recipe or it's something I work up as I go along. Sometimes it's really good; other times....eh, not so much.

Probably the last completely new recipe I tried was grilling our corned beef brisket for St. Patrick's Day.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not very creative in the kitchen. The last thing I tried was a salad dressing from scratch. It had lemon, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Aleppo pepper, black pepper, a garlic clove and oregano. It was so-so. Live and learn. I'll do better next time! :thumbsup:
you made a salad dressing from scratch!!! :clap: that's really great!! :D

i started making homemade salad dressings a while ago, though i'll still buy salad dressing at the produce auction occasionally -- at a very low price. my favorite is a sweet and saucy french salad dressing...:yummy: , which is pretty easy to make. i tried a different french dressing recipe first, but it wasn't quite what i was wanting. you'll find a salad dressing recipe(s) that you like!! :agree:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a curry on Saturday, which turned out to be rather tasty. DH normally won't eat Indian food, but he didn't complain about it.
you made a curry that turned out rather tasty!!! :thumbsup: awesome!! :)

i have a hard time with curry. i'm sure i'd like it, if i could get past my childhood memories of curry. :dunno:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm always trying something new, whether it's from a recipe or it's something I work up as I go along. Sometimes it's really good; other times....eh, not so much.

Probably the last completely new recipe I tried was grilling our corned beef brisket for St. Patrick's Day.
your last completely new recipe was the corned beef brisket you grilled for St. Patrick's Day!!! :clap: most wonderful!! :D