Question of The Day. Sunday 19th of December

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in a valley between the Cascades to the east and the Intercoastal Mountain Range to the west. I can see the snow on the peaks during the winter (measuring several feet), but we get little snow on the valley floor. It might snow a few inches a couple of times over the winter, but that’s about it. Temperatures generally range from the low 30s to the 40s, although we’ll drop to the 20s (Fahrenheit).

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is usually milder than what you might think it would be for Ohio. I am in Central Ohio so we don't get the Lake effect snow and we also don't get the snows that are sometimes generated by systems over the Ohio River. Every so often we have a snowy winter or get caught in an Arctic Vortex so it is very cold.
I am also in Columbus, Ohio and have always felt like its a bit of a bubble. We almost never get any kind of extreme weather at all. It's honestly what I like most about living here. Although what does it tend to happen is very up and down weather. Like 70 degrees one day and below zero several hours later lol.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It varies from winter to winter here. We definitely get 4 seasons. But some winters we hardly get any snow or ice (fine by me!!) and sometimes we get walloped with blizzards. I live on a road that gets plowed decently because there are 2 schools up the road. Some side roads really don't get much attention from plows and in some weather it just gets driven over till its hard ice. I'm sure it's hard for the state and county to prepare properly when one winter they might plow around the clock for a few weeks and the next they might just salt occasionally.

The winter DH and I were engaged we got a lot and even the nice wide road in my mother's neighborhood was only a single lane. I let some guy I'd never met move my car because he was helping someone else get unstuck from the slush/ice/snow mixture and I was too scared to back up my little neon myself in that mess! The winter DD was a newborn we had back to back blizzards. A couple years later she didn't wear her snow boots once! It makes shopping for proper winter things difficult for kids. I feel like I spend a lot on boots and snow pants that might only get worn 3 times. (I usually buy big for that reason; but DD likes to have these giant growth spurts on me...)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
16 years ago it really got too cold here, but for the last 5 years or so the cold became tolerable.
No snow from where I am. Would love to see it again though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Typically, it stays above 0 F, but cold snaps down to -10 F. or so do occur.
I had to convert that to Celsius because my brain only works in metric. -23C :eek: Oh, that must be horrible!
This was after getting 2.5 inches:
Wha...what? Why is someone on fire? :flail:
It was so cold in the barracks that the water in the toilets froze
That happens around here too. Our toilet has a little lever on the side so that you can leave the water running through the cistern all the time. Otherwise it would freeze solid and the toilet would crack.
I live on a road that gets plowed decently because there are 2 schools up the road. Some side roads really don't get much attention from plows and in some weather it just gets driven over till its hard ice
Nice! I live in a one-snow-plow-village. It usually takes them about 3 days to get up to where I live. Mr Husband has been known to go to work in snowshoes or by snowboard.

:wink:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also in Columbus, Ohio and have always felt like its a bit of a bubble. We almost never get any kind of extreme weather at all. It's honestly what I like most about living here. Although what does it tend to happen is very up and down weather. Like 70 degrees one day and below zero several hours later lol.
Before moving to NC we lived in Columbus for 10 years. I can remember a couple doozy snowstorms, but it usually wasn't too bad. I worked downtown in the Leveque Tower (Intership) and took to bus. One time, snow was coming down pretty good when I left work. By the time the bus left me off at the Northland Mall, the snow was very deep and I had to walk home several blocks home. That was no fun. One other memory, I don't remember what the actual temperature was, but the "feels like" temp was -5F. I was flying to Florida to meet Mr. Misty who was there on a business trip which we were turning into a vacation. I got the car started and got to the airport, and got it parked, but it stalled out. I tried to start it to straighten up a bit in the parking spot and it wouldn't start. So I said to heck with it and left it how it was (it was in the lines, I'm just a little OCD about getting it centered) and went in to get the flight. Got off in Orlando and it was 70F. I told hubby I am NEVER leaving here!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
😜Winter is usually cold and snowy here in Minnesota. January and February are usually the coldest, below zero temps a lot of the time. I'm pretty used to it because I've lived here my entire life. I remember working at a grocery store about a 10 years ago and there was a blizzard and I had to go into work. I drove my mom's Jeep in about a foot of snow and the normally 5 minute drive took like 45 minutes. Pretty typical, honestly.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Reading about Columbus, Ohio, and winter weather reminded me of the time in the mid 1970s when the temp dropped to - 20°F (- 29°C)—not your typical winter weather in central Ohio! I trudged out to my car to go to work, and the car wouldn’t start. I got out and slammed the door shut…and it flew back open again. It was so cold that the latch wouldn’t work! 🥶

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cold and rainy here normally in London. I live in the suburbs, so we do get snow more often than those in the city centre. Often snow comes here once every other year and can be quite deep in the height of it. Last year we had a lot and it lasted for just over a week.

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reading about Columbus, Ohio, and winter weather reminded me of the time in the mid 1970s when the temp dropped to - 20°F (- 29°C)—not your typical winter weather in central Ohio! I trudged out to my car to go to work, and the car wouldn’t start. I got out and slammed the door shut…and it flew back open again. It was so cold that the latch wouldn’t work! 🥶
Oh no! That happened to me before but thankfully it hasn't been that bad here in awhile. Although to prepare for potentially extra cold times ahead, I was gifted a remote starter for my car from my dad and it is truly the best gift ever! I love not having to scrap the ice off of my car in the morning anymore. 😁

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been freezing here for the last week or so. Not hard enough for the ice to stay on the water. No snow either unfortunately, hopefully we'll still get some this winter