Question of the Day, Saturday the7th of August 2021

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and Happy First Saturday of August!!

Lots of fresh, homegrown produce here in Ohio and elsewhere.

I had tomato (Early Girl) sandwiches yesterday and they were so good!! I had them on freshly baked Italian bread with Hellman's mayo with Kosher salt and course ground pepper. I've been eating watermelon like it's going out of style. I plan on walking to the Farmer's Market this morning. A woman is there every week who sells my fave tomato, Heirloom. I hope they have my fave cantelope, Honey Rock.

What do you like?🍅🍈🍉🍌🍎🍏🥑🍐🍓🥭🍒🥝🥔🥕

Last edited:

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I like just about everything! I'm so lucky to live in California where produce grows so abundantly. Every week in the summer I try and pick up green onions, red onions, cherry tomatoes, clover sprouts, red/green leaf lettuce, basil, cilantro, bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, avocados, apricots, blueberries, cherries, strawberries and apples from my local coop. Often they'll have new fruits and vegetables I've never even heard of, like donut apricots or plum-apricots. My fiance describes me as literally "a kid in a candy shop" whenever I enter a produce store or farmer's market. :flail:

Most days I make a massive salad with everything and top it off with some salsa. Maybe weird for some but I was lucky growing up with numerous family members that had their own gardens so it's how I've always eaten. If it needs to be eaten or may go bad soon, throw it in a salad! Why waste all the hard work the family went through? If I ever get to rent/own a house one day that's definitely a dream of mine. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I like just about everything! I'm so lucky to live in California where produce grows so abundantly. Every week in the summer I try and pick up green onions, red onions, cherry tomatoes, clover sprouts, red/green leaf lettuce, basil, cilantro, bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, avocados, apricots, blueberries, cherries, strawberries and apples from my local coop. Often they'll have new fruits and vegetables I've never even heard of, like donut apricots or plum-apricots. My fiance describes me as literally "a kid in a candy shop" whenever I enter a produce store or farmer's market. :flail:

Most days I make a massive salad with everything and top it off with some salsa. Maybe weird for some but I was lucky growing up with numerous family members that had their own gardens so it's how I've always eaten. If it needs to be eaten or may go bad soon, throw it in a salad! Why waste all the hard work the family went through? If I ever get to rent/own a house one day that's definitely a dream of mine. :)
Wowza, that's quite a selection!! It's been so hot here I 've been eating only salads, fruits, sandwiches, popsicles and ice cream.
I bought a salad dressing I've never had before called Breana's. I got a bottle from Walmart and one from Amazon.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wowza, that's quite a selection!! It's been so hot here I 've been eating only salads, fruits, sandwiches, popsicles and ice cream.
I bought a salad dressing I've never had before called Breana's. I got a bottle from Walmart and one from Amazon.
I've had the poppy seed one! It's not half bad, but now now that Hidden Valley has a plant dressing it's been a game charger for us. Although, I do still try and stick with salsa or hot sauce for health reasons. :)

Where I used to live in Norcal it would get up to 115 in the summers (luckily with lower humidity though) so I feel the cold fruit/veg. Frozen grapes were my favorite as a kid. :)

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomatoes. Especially Brandywine tomatoes. I used to grow them and I lived on tomato sandwiches all summer long. Also greenbeans, zucchini, cantaloupes, yellow squash, corn and potatoes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorites are tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, fresh sweet corn on the cob, They were earlier in the season at least here but I love strawberries.

I have been doing the salads and sandwiches for awhile but it is getting a little old. Kroger had chuck roast buy one get one. I put one in the freezer and I am going to make beef barbacoa with the other one tomorrow. I am going to use either the crock pot or the Insta Pot so I don't heat up the kitchen with the oven.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today is the last day of Farmer's Market week in the US :) USDA's National Farmers Market Week starts Aug. 1

I'm going to one later today. I'll probably buy some corn, maybe beans. There's supposed to be a local grower of succulent house plants at the market today. I though the local chocolate maker would be there today as well but that's next Saturday :doh:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
We’ve had some really outstanding honeydew and cantaloupe lately. Our neighbor gave us green beans fresh from her garden, and they were so sweet and tender! Local peaches are making their appearance in the stores. 😋

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I love fruit. Watermelon, grapes, cantaloupe and cherries in the summer. Apples in the fall. Clementines and pineapple in the winter.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty much any fruit or vegetable will find its way to our table during the summer. (EXCEPTIONS: eggplant and okra).

IMO, the best way to eat a tomato is to walk up to the garden with a salt shaker. Sit in the middle of the tomato patch. Pick that one tomato that is simply perfect. Gently pull it off the vine. Rub it on your shirt. A wee bit of salt. And eat like an apple. My dad and I used to do that.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. That's a tough one. I like pretty much every fruit and vegetable. I'm not a huge fan of peppers, though. Or corn. I'm fine with that seeing how corn doesn't agree well with my blood type. Those blood type diets are serious, lemme tell you. You just about can't eat anything! Peaches would have to my favorite.
Pretty much any fruit or vegetable will find its way to our table during the summer. (EXCEPTIONS: eggplant and okra).
My dad LOVES okra. Fried okra is really good.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I ever met a fruit or veggie I didn't like although some are better than others. My favorite would be any kind of berries plus apples picked off the tree in the fall and anything pumpkin. I regularly buy spinach salad, tomatoes, green onions, zucchini, red & green peppers, sweet potatoes, avocado and broccoli.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watermelon, sweet corn on the cob, and cherries are what have me loving summer even though I hate the season. Tomatoes are the only thing that I've been to successfully grow this year and I end up eating all of the tomatoes right away. :p

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing tops a homegrow tomato!

My grandparents always had a garden and Grandpa would visit the local farm stands for what he didn't grow. I ate so well growing up! My favorites are homegrown peas (straight from the pod), tomatoes, corn on the cob, cucumbers, and any kind of mellon or berry!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Right now peaches are the "in season" fruit in the stores, so I've been eating one every day. I also like the yellow plums, but haven't had any yet. But really I love almost every fruit, and most vegetables.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The farmers market here in town has such a wide variety of produce and fruit,and it's all lovely!We got our tomatoes,etc. in late,so we've just had a couple ripen so far,so while at the FM,I'll pick up some of those cherokee purple tomatoes and green onions,I got some eggplant this morning,some kale and a small bunch of candy sweet onions.Too early for turnips and rutabegas,thank goodness!We both love all vegetables.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fruit: strawberries, cherries, grapes, peaches, oranges, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, watermelon
Vegetables: potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, courgettes

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't eat the fruit that's available now fast enough. There's a cloud of fruit flies in the kitchen to attest to all the fruit I have.

There's a new cantaloupe on the market called a Lemon Drop that is out of this world. It's smaller than a regular cantaloupe, which is great for me as I am only one person. They are the sweetest melons I've ever eaten. Some call it the Kandy Lemondrop.