Question of The Day. Saturday the 8th of April.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I have allergies but my nose gets stuffy and my eyes itch. I take Claritin and NeilsMed and they help.

Muffy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Oh my yes, hay fever in both Spring and Autumn.  I know, in the Spring it technically is not hay fever as there is no 'hay' yet, lol.  I know in the Autumn that goldenrod is a big trigger for me.  In the Spring, I suspect pine trees are one of my triggers.
It's funny how these allergies are called hay fever, isn't it? Most of the time it's pollen that causes the problem, not necessarily from hay, and there is no fever. Pine and ceder cause most people's allergies over here, I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I used to be allergic to just about everything.  Spring and fall were miserable - it was hard to get anything done!.  I got over them about eight years ago, and things have been getting better ever since.  The day may come when I can ingest alcohol and not get a three day migraine headache!
How did you manage to get over them?

That's too bad about the alcohol, have you always been very sensitive to it?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am allergic to lactose and most metals (stainless steel and top quality gold are safe). I am very pale, so I get sunburnt very easily, even when I am wearing high factor sunscreen protection.
I sometimes develop what we here call "solar alergy", which means that my skin may have a reaction similar to allergies when sun is too strong, eve. If I do not have a propper sunburnt.
I hate going to the beach, obviously. And everyone thinks that I am Irish, Scottish, German or from any other northern country. I worked in Ireland for a month, to boost my English, and no one believed me when I said I was Spanish. Some said I was Russian [emoji]128517[/emoji]

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm allergic to Mondays; does that count?

I don't have any seasonal allergies (Rick does and they are nasty). But I am allergic to every over-the-counter pain medicine known to man. Aspirin, Bufferin, Excedrin, Advil, Tylenol, Aleve. You name it, I'm allergic to it. Oh, and some of the prescription blood pressure meds, too. I had to stop taking Lisinopril when I developed the allergy. About 10-12 hours after I take it, my face starts to swell. Sometimes it's my lip, sometimes it's around my eye, sometimes it's around my jaw area. I started taking it seriously when my throat started to swell one night. I have an Epi-Pen, just in case. Most of the time, if I take two Benedryl, within 15-20 minutes or so, the swelling will start to go back down. 

It's a bugger because I get bad headaches and migraines and I can't take anything. Also if I have inflammation (like with my knee right now), I can't take anything for it.

Went to an allergist and he wouldn't really talk to me much about it. The problem is that they don't know what exactly it is in those meds that's creating the allergy, whether it's an ingredient in the filler or if it's something on the coating or what. And it's too expensive to try to test for whatever it is. It doesn't matter what form I take, whether it's an Advil tablet, or a Liqui-Gel, my face will swell. It's really weird. 

There is also "something" on some produce at the grocery store. If I handle produce and then touch my face, usually on the way home, my face will start to tingle and til I get home, it will have started to swell. Two Benedryl will take care of it.

I've never been allergic to anything in my life. This came on about 4 years or so ago. Out of the clear blue sky. Doctor had to change my blood pressure meds, too. I changed from Lisinopril to Bystolic. 

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise

How did you manage to get over them?

That's too bad about the alcohol, have you always been very sensitive to it?
I've always been sensitive to alcohol.  For the early part of my life, I had a limit of six beers that I could not pass without being sick, sometimes really sick.  I became very allergic 30 years ago and I had to stop the alcohol and many other things.

How did I get over it?  It was a spiritual healing.  The people who were working with me think stress causes many illnesses, including those of us who are super allergic.  My allergist, one of the best in the country, told me he had patients cured by working with these people.  CURED!!!  I immediately gave it a try.  It took six months, but the allergies are gone (except the alcohol) and I can eat at restaurants and visit other people's homes without getting ill.  What joy!  I feel extremely blessed by this. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only allergy I have is to metal. I can only wear gold & silver next to my skin.

Interesting fact: if one or both of one's parents have an allergy to anything at all, their children are likely to have some kind of allergy too, though not necessarily the same allergy. This is true in my family.