Question Of The Day. Saturday The 27th Of May

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello. Sorry for a slightly belated Question Of The Day. I've been having computer problems.

:crash:

Are you good at household repairs? Do you know how to fix things yourself or do you have to call a professional in when things go wrong?

I'm not bad at doing things like replacing screens, repainting, renailing and rescrewing and I'm getting a little better at simple plumbing. My electrical skills stretch as far as being able to replace a light bulb. If it's anything more complicated than that I'm lost.

How about you, are you handy around the house?

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd consider myself handy around the house. when there's a repair needed here, before i call a repairman to come out to do the work, i'll look into it online. i like to see if the repair is something i feel i can handle myself.

generally speaking, i'm quite uncomfortable with anything electrical. however, i did switch the light fixture at the back door over to a spotlight unit a few years back -- did that myself. i took the precaution to turn the electricity off to the whole house before doing that.

something i don't do is muck around trying to fix the furnace. i mean, i'll check the filter and condensate hose, and i'll turn the thing off and back on (give it a reset, or a jump start), and i'll do what a technician tells me to do while i'm on the phone with him......but i don't start flipping switches on the furnace's control panel on my own.

i try to remember that the situation can be made worse by me mucking around with things i don't know much/anything about.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the only thing I can do is change a light bulb and the furnace filter. I can paint but I absolutely detest it. I did change the thing on the toilet once but I'm too afraid to do it again. I'm terrified it will overflow if I mess with it again. I also used to cut the grass, clean the siding on the outside of my house, rake the leaves and change the oil in my car and lawn mower but I can't do that anymore. I need so many things done to my house it is going to cost a fortune.

Muffy

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, hey, I'm great at fixing dinner! Other things? Not so much!

I can change a tire on my car and I used to be able to change the oil in my older cars....my father, bless his heart, wanted both of his daughters to be able to change tires.

I'm getting better at fixing things around the house. I can and have changed the toilet float. I can and have changed ceiling lights; what's really important is to make sure the appropriate circuit breaker is off! What I'd really like to know is more about working on lawn mowers and the like....I guess small engines. And small plumbing projects. I'd like to be strong enough to open and close the pool by myself. Working with the winter pool cover is too difficult for me.....it's really heavy and awkward. Similarly, I can't use a heavy rototiller on our garden....it's too heavy and awkward.

I did take our gas grill apart yesterday to clean it and managed to get it all put back together properly, get it lit, and was able to cook dinner on the cleaned grill. That took a while.

I do mow our yard (both with the riding mower and the push mower). I can clean the mowers and wash them down at the end of the season; I can check the oil and I can replace a spark plug and adjust the mower belt on the riding mower. I can paint and I actually like painting, but can't paint the upper walls and ceiling of our foyer (we live in a bi-level).

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to be half way decent about some repairs. Like, I once did a lath/plaster patch job on a ceiling of an apartment I was renting. Pretty big hole and it held up.
Now not so much. I don't even trust myself to get up on a step ladder. Tom isn't much better than I am either. We call in for all kinds of help, which is problematic since many contractors/handymen aren't willing to come by to just change a light bulb where you aren't able to reach LOL.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's more complicated than a pair of scissors, I'm lost. I can't even get salad tongs back together without several tries.

My other half is fearless and will tackle most jobs other than anything automotive. Even when cars were simple, he'd walk before attempting a repair. Now the owner's manual is four volumes and he's not about to change a headlight bulb. Fortunately, the good folks at O'Reilly's will do it for you if you buy the bulb there.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have plenty of friends that refuse to get their hands dirty, but I have no issue with doing some things around the house. I don't know if I am all that talented for serious repairs though. :lol: