Question of the Day, Saturday, March 16

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Happy Weekend!

Do you remember drive-in movies? Did you go to the drive-in?

Mom and Dad used to take us to the local drive-in. Mom made sandwiches for us and we kids put our pajamas on, so that when we got home, we could just hop into bed. We never went to the concession stand or anything like that. Rick and I went to the drive-in a couple times, too. But then it shut down. We still have one drive-in, not too far away from us that is still open. They do a good business during the summer.

What about you? Did you go to the drive-in?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents took us to the local drive-ins- there were 3 in our area- at a time when it cost 50 cents for a carload. The first movie I recall seeing was Fred MacMurray in The Absent Minded Professor, at the last remaining drive-in, while the last one was Blazing Saddles, at a now defunct one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we went to a drive-in movie but I was a child so honestly don't remember what we saw.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
As a child we had a drive in about a mile from our house. My parents could never afford to buy tickets but we would often go part on the street and watch some of the movie without sound. As a teen we had a number of drive ins around and that was a standard date night thing.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents were big movie fans and took us to the drive in with them when they went,which was often in warmer weather.We didn't have one all that close to us so it was a little bit of a hike to go but everyone enjoyed it so it was worth it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Growing up, there was one nearby but we never went because it was infested with low lifes and crime. As an adult/parent, we went to one on vacation in TN and it was really fun. It was a Kevin James movie called Zoo Keeper or something like that.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember them when I was a kid. The only movie I remember seeing though, is Disney's, Pinocchio.
I wish they would come back... :(

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drive-ins were before my time and there were like none that existed when I was growing up. I think it would be cool to go to one, but again there aren't really any that exist anymore.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I was 6 years old when I went to the drive in the first time with my parents . The Movie shown was Ben Hur.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we went once or twice when I was little - certainly before I was nine, when my father left.
I had friends in the 90s whose house was on a hill overlooking a drive-in. They could sit in their back yard and watch, but not listen. 😄

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a vague memory of going to see one movie. My parents were divorced but for some reason the 3 of us went together. Maybe they both wanted to experience it with me. Maybe they wanted to see if doing things together would be a possibility. I can’t even tell you what movie it was. I’m pretty sure I didn’t sit still. I remember bringing popcorn. And meeting my dad at my grandparents and being on his shoulders there. Thats it. :lol:

Theyve been trying to reopen one near us since 2020 but im not sure they’ve succeeded. Or that I would go.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with drive-ins. When we were little, my mom would take my sister and me all the time. We would see Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar and Darby O'Gill. In OK, we all went to see The Shining and the last movie I recall seeing at a drive-in was with my sister - Top Gun.
I think they all closed in Phx, and I know they did up here. Shame really, they were the only good way to see a movie. Almost every movie I saw growing up was at a drive-in.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been to one when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind going to one again, but I don't think I've seen any for years (read decades).