Question of the day - Saturday, July 7th

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning

My parents recently had a garage sale to get rid of a bunch of the junk in their basement.  While they were looking through the stuff.  They found one of my giant cases of Lego.  It brought back a lot of memories, so I decided I'd take it instead of them selling it. 

What was your favorite toy as a child?

I had so much fun with Lego.  I'd spend hours just building things for no reason.  A few things I remember making were the starship enterprise from from star trek, the millennium falcon from star wars, and a few "skyscrapers" that were about 7 feet tall.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear, I'm afraid it was probably Barbie.  Then I saved all my pocket  money to get Skipper...... 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our son was a big Legos fan and, after our grandson was born, our son picked up all his Legos that were here. Those two (and then three, after our granddaughter was born and got older) are constantly playing with Legos. We buy for our grandchildren and we still buy Lego kits for our son (and he's now 40 years old).

Have you ever gone to one of the Lego displays? They are amazing!

I read a lot as a child. My favorite childhood book was Alice in Wonderland. I know my parents gave us toys and such, but I don't remember one toy really sticking out in my mind as a favorite. I do remember my Easy Bake oven (kind of wish I still had that, to be honest). My sister and I each had Suzy Smart dolls. Oh, and she had Skipper (Barbie's little sister) and I had Pepper (Tammy's little sister). Anyone remember Tammy and Pepper?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a toy that could be purchased in store, I loved Barbie. My absolute favourite was my dollhouse. My grandpa built me a huge dollhouse that I loved. He carpeted all of the floors, put wallpaper on the walls, even put what looked liked tile in the bathroom and kitchen. I loved that dollhouse, but unfortunately lost it 2 years ago due to a flood. It was being stored in my moms basement and the sewer systems backed up and everyone's basements flooded. Insurance gave me $100 for it, but I was saving it hoping I have a daughter someday. 

I had a huge bucket full of Barbies. My mom decided to move into an apartment and had a garage sale and sold my Barbies. I kept 2 of them though. I had one of my moms Barbies when I was a kid, and loved that it was hers so I wanted a couple of my own to save.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our son was a big Legos fan and, after our grandson was born, our son picked up all his Legos that were here. Those two (and then three, after our granddaughter was born and got older) are constantly playing with Legos. We buy for our grandchildren and we still buy Lego kits for our son (and he's now 40 years old).

Have you ever gone to one of the Lego displays? They are amazing!

I read a lot as a child. My favorite childhood book was Alice in Wonderland. I know my parents gave us toys and such, but I don't remember one toy really sticking out in my mind as a favorite. I do remember my Easy Bake oven (kind of wish I still had that, to be honest). My sister and I each had Suzy Smart dolls. Oh, and she had Skipper (Barbie's little sister) and I had Pepper (Tammy's little sister). Anyone remember Tammy and Pepper?
I've seen a couple displays.  They were incredible.  I don't think I could ever build something worthy of that

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lincoln Logs and the dolls from my Fisher Price Doll House (I was obsessed with the Laura Ingles Wilder type books ("Little House on the Prarie"), so I thought it was fun to build the little family farm homes and such :lol3: )

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Breyer horses!!!!!!!!!!! I love my grey mare and foal the best. Barbie would ride them too :lol3: :clap:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the generic form of Lego's which were called Brix Blox (I think). I believe they came out around the Bicentennial because they were all red white and blue. I would spend hours building things with them. Mom always said it was they best investment they ever made! In fact, she made me a family of yarn dolls and I would design little houses and cars for them. I had a few Barbies too, but I preferred my yarn dolls and Brix Blox. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to say my barbie was a fav.  I was lucky enough to have a grandmother who made the most exquisite clothes for her - prom dresses all in lace and satin..detailed and truly gorgeous!

I also had a toy that was a machine you would melt plastic (?) sheets over the forms to build toys and more.  I still have it somewhere..lol.  Need to look up the name!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doll house!  I had it for years and later gave it to a little girl that I babysat for as a teenager!  I wonder if she loved it as much as I did.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite "toy" was my cat, Kitty-Cat. She let me dress her in doll clothes, and she's stay in the doll stroller while I pushed her around. She often let me cover her up with blankets while wearing a dress and a bonnet in the stroller - this was in Texas where it was HOT already. She was my constant companion when I was little, she was a real saint of a kitty, I miss my sweet Kitty-Cat and it's been decades since she passed away.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I played w/ Barbie dolls a lot too, but have to say, I loved the Light Bright!  I loved making a design on it, then turning off the lights, to see it in the dark.