Question Of The Day - Saturday, April 30th

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning folks

With all the disasters that have happened recently (earthquake/tsunami in Japan, giant storm system and tornadoes in the USA, etc.) I started wondering:

How many of you believe in the Mayan prediction that the world will end on December 21st, 2012?

I never really gave much thought to it, but now with everything that's happened, I'm thinking they might have been on to something. I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world, but I think something big is coming.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think that when the Mayans made their calendar, they just picked a date that was unfathomably far in the future and cut it off there. If I made a calendar that stretched out until 6000 AD, I wouldn't even expect any knowledge of my calendar to survive that long, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone in 6000 AD to take the end of my calendar seriously. Also, my understanding is that the Mayans didn't predict the world would end at that time, just that the calendar comes to an end and starts again, much like our calendars do every year on December 31st.

So, no, I don't believe the world will end. I'm pretty confident I'll be here going about my business on May 22nd (the day after the guy in Nashville predicts the rapture will occur) and I still plan to buy Christmas presents for everybody in 2012.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone bothered to watch a History special on the Mayan calendar, they would not be panicking. The 'end' is the end of a cycle of the calendar, nothing more.

The only thing I want to end is @&$*)@*(*(#&* winter - under another blizzard warning!!! Just what we need here, more water!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

1.-If anyone bothered to watch a History special on the Mayan calendar, they would not be panicking. The 'end' is the end of a cycle of the calendar, nothing more.

2.-The only thing I want to end is @&$*)@*(*(#&* winter - under another blizzard warning!!! Just what we need here, more water!!
1,-

2.-

---------------------------------------
Living in mayan lands I believe that they try to express something....unfortunately we don´t have a 100% of reasonability of what they want to tell us!

GOOD QUESTION!...

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CoolCat, Unfortunately, this weather isn't funny; it is dangerous. They closed the Transcanada from a small town east of where Tiger is all the way into Manitoba due to heavy snow, ice coating the roads. zero visibility and a couple of wrecked semis; other roads are being closed due to all the above except for the wrecks. Winds are gusting to 90kph according to the weather liar. So far, just wind here, I may be far enough south and west to miss the worst of it. Interesting.......just checked the road closures and the highways closest to me are also closed.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

CoolCat, Unfortunately, this weather isn't funny; it is dangerous. They closed the Transcanada from a small town east of where Tiger is all the way into Manitoba due to heavy snow, ice coating the roads. zero visibility and a couple of wrecked semis; other roads are being closed due to all the above except for the wrecks. Winds are gusting to 90kph according to the weather liar. So far, just wind here, I may be far enough south and west to miss the worst of it. Interesting.......just checked the road closures and the highways closest to me are also closed.
sorry my friend....please don´t take at offence....Is just make me laught the signs that you put on thread...(%(&%(%&%%$#%$)....
I not laught about your situation....

Sending real good vibes for the Blizzards stop it your place and you can breath about!...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weather goes through cycles and this is apparently a really BAD cycle. 10-15 years ago they blamed a lot of things weather related on El nino an La Nina. I haven't heard anything about that in a while. Do I believe the word is going to end in 2012? No. Do I think Mother Nature is really pissed off right now and needs a midol? Yes. I think the end of the world as we know it will happen when some testosterone pumped idiot hits the red button and unleashes nuclear bombs. God help us then.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just talking to my friend in the city, and she is saying MANY bad words about wind, cold and whitebleep.

FWIW, the wind is so strong it shook the barn door open and I just spent a delightful hour catching the horse and making sure he says put. At least I don't have to go back out in that foul stuff later on.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If anyone bothered to watch a History special on the Mayan calendar, they would not be panicking. The 'end' is the end of a cycle of the calendar, nothing more.

The only thing I want to end is @&$*)@*(*(#&* winter - under another blizzard warning!!! Just what we need here, more water!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They closed the Transcanada from a small town east of where Tiger is all the way into Manitoba due to heavy snow, ice coating the roads. zero visibility and a couple of wrecked semis; other roads are being closed due to all the above except for the wrecks. Winds are gusting to 90kph according to the weather liar. So far, just wind here, I may be far enough south and west to miss the worst of it. Interesting.......just checked the road closures and the highways closest to me are also closed.
In Winnipeg all we are getting right now is pouring rain. I hope the snow peters out before it gets here.

Here are the current road conditions for Manitoba

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...pagecontent=mb

To keep this relevant...

The world will end when it ends. Those of us here now, will be dead by that time.

When scientists (not prophets) talk "end of the world" it doesn't mean that the earth is going to just explode. It means that there will be another ice age, or heat surge due to deterioration in our ozone layer (the cause of global warming), and that life as we know it will cease to be. That isn't to say that there won't be some life still. Those that can adapt and through evolutionary change will survive and thrive again, just like we did after the dinosaurs.

If you watch History of Weather, you will see that the earth has a history of repeating itself in very long cycles.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Good morning folks

With all the disasters that have happened recently (earthquake/tsunami in Japan, giant storm system and tornadoes in the USA, etc.) I started wondering:

How many of you believe in the Mayan prediction that the world will end on December 21st, 2012?

I never really gave much thought to it, but now with everything that's happened, I'm thinking they might have been on to something. I don't think it's necessarily the end of the world, but I think something big is coming.
I do not believe it for one minute. All these past disasters are normal occurrences. Japan is famous for earthquakes and the USA, tornados are a very normal part of our weather. In fact, the USA gets more tornados than anywhere else in the world. There are a number of factors that make these disasters seem unusual. The main factor is all the media coverage and the fact that there are so many people with video cameras/cell phones to record these disasters. People continue to build and live in these disaster prone areas. This isn't the first and it will not be the last time, the USA sees a major tornado outbreak and Japan gets another major earthquake. I can recall, with regards to tornados, outbreaks much larger than this one. I can easily name 3 cities in my state alone, that were almost completely wiped off the map from tornados. The media loves disasters and with today's technology, it is much easier to get the video/photos for the world to see. It wasn't the same way say some 30+ years ago, even though we had the same disasters back then.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly just don't care either way
I mean, I accept the possibility of the world ending in 2012, but by the same token I accept the possibility of the world ending on any given day...
So to answer the question directly I say no I don't believe in the prediction. I think the Mayans couldn't possibly have had that kind of knowledge.
But, I also don't care if the world ends, I mean we're all going to die anyway, so whether it happens a few years or decades earlier than it otherwise would, it's no big deal
And, if the world ends, well I'm sure not going to miss it, because I will be dead
sorry about my little ramble..

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't the world supposed to end on 1-1-00, also on 6-6-06? Well we're all still here.

Also there's 1 group claiming this month is the end of the world.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't necessarily believe that the world will end as we know it on 12-21-12, but I do believe we're in our final days. I believe that because I believe in God & the bible. All you have to do is look around you and see what sad state the world's in - not just weather disaster related, but everything else, too. That's all I'm gonna say about that because I'm not voicing my opinion to start a debate. It is what it is - just my opinion.