Question Of The Day, Saturday 8th Of June.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose I'd have to go with the shark cage, if forced to choose. Rockets and deadly mountain climbing are definitely out. And there's no way I could go cave diving (claustrophobic), but wearing SCUBA gear in open water (even in a cage) would probably be OK.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not Everest. Maybe another mountain, but goodness, it's become a crazy place, and would require so much preparation.
I think I'd go to the edge of space. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'd go with #1. There's no way in :devilish: I'd go anywhere near Everest. Too cold, too tall, too many people dying and being left there. Nope. I appreciate and admire sharks. They deserve to be respected.That being said, where I am now is the closest I would like to be to one. We made a pact years ago. I stay out of the water and they stay off land. It's worked out great for all of us. Why mess with success?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
too many people dying and being left there.
I don't understand why they leave the bodies there. That is so morbid. Why can't they bring them down and give them a proper burial? The pictures on Google are horrifying. My brother only went halfway up, I guess it's expensive to go to the top. Thank God or he might have been one of the bodies. :fear:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't understand why they leave the bodies there. That is so morbid. Why can't they bring them down and give them a proper burial? The pictures on Google are horrifying. My brother only went halfway up, I guess it's expensive to go to the top. Thank God or he might have been one of the bodies. :fear:
It's too dangerous to bring them down. Conditions can change in the blink of an eye and they don't want to risk more lives. To me the worst part is that these bodies are often used as landmarks by climbers. example 'If you reach the guy with the black hat and green ski pants you have X amount to go". Yeah that's really a thing.

ETA: The Bodies Of Dead Climbers On Everest Are Serving As Guideposts

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No point sending someone else to die just to drag a dead body down.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No point sending someone else to die just to drag a dead body down.
I just figured one of the Sherpas could strap the body to a board or rope. I don't know anything about mountain climbing, but it seems somebody could do something.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I panic in water above my head

I HATE cold below 40

I panic at the thought of being somewhere I could not get out of.

So no thanks to any of them. I am just an old fuddy duddy.

If my life depended on it I would go with sharks because they are amazing creatures. But only if I had a gun to my head

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just figured one of the Sherpas could strap the body to a board or rope. I don't know anything about mountain climbing, but it seems somebody could do something.
The Sherpas die too, all the time. If they're up there for another reason, they're already carrying all they can. And they aren't going to go up there for the sole reason of risking their lives to bring down somebody who's already dead. There's also a ton of garbage and sewage up there, because climbers used to just toss their used oxygen bottles randomly and relieve themselves everywhere. Now the rules say that climbers have to bring down everything they started with, but it's a little late now :/. Past climbers have not shown much respect.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I have read the last leg is the most dangerous, no human can stay there for long before succumbing to hypothermia. That area is where the dead are. When they reach the summit they have to turn around and start right back down. One woman who didn't make it stayed on the summit for 25 minutes and she didn't make it, she succumbed to hypothermia on the way back down.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I have read the last leg is the most dangerous, no human can stay there for long before succumbing to hypothermia. That area is where the dead are. When they reach the summit they have to turn around and start right back down. One woman who didn't make it stayed on the summit for 25 minutes and she didn't make it, she succumbed to hypothermia on the way back down.
Yes. Once you get over 26,000 feet, that's the death zone. From the article above:

When someone dies on Everest, especially in the death zone, it is almost impossible to retrieve the body. The weather conditions, the terrain, and the lack of oxygen makes it difficult to get to the bodies. Even if they can be found, they are usually stuck to the ground, frozen in place.

In fact, two rescuers died while trying to recover Schmatz’s body and countless others have perished while trying to reach the rest.

Despite the risks, and the bodies they will encounter, thousands of people flock to Everest every year to attempt one of the most impressive feats known to man today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, that would be impossible. You're climbing down near vertical rock faces or ice covered slopes. It's so cold that if you take your gloves off even for a second you will lose fingers to frost bite. The air is so thin that every step you take is a huge effort. You barely have the strength to move yourself, let alone drag an adult corpse. If you strap a body to a board it's going to slide off the mountain and take you with it.

Bodies can be cut free if they are hanging from ropes and allowed to drop down the mountain side, but recovering them is impossible. Even recovering a body from a relatively low mountain is very risky.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are some heartbreaking stories about someone in a party getting into trouble in that zone and no one can help them, they have to keep going to save themselves. The Sherpas have adapted to a degree for that environment, they have lived in that area for generations, but at that altitude it is understood that they can't save another person. They become just guides, nothing more. It is very much every person for themselves.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sticking with the atmosphere. It's the only one that's not certain death, but anything can happen up there.