Question Of The Day. Saturday 8th Of July.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

Easy question for you today, where does it hurt?

I know we all have those aches and pains that bother us. Those of us who post on the Exercise Motivation thread often complain about feeling stiff and sore and not being able to exercise as much as we'd like.

For me it's usually my neck. I spent a lot of time back-packing when I was younger and all those nights trying to sleep sitting upright on a bus or train have taken their toll. Even carrying a slightly heavier that usual shopping bag leaves me with a really stiff neck these days. If it's not one side it's the other.

:hmmm:

How about you, where does it hurt?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mostly, my knees. I had 3 separate accidents over the past, oh maybe 20 years? Required surgery in all 3 cases; once on the left and twice on the right knee.

The right one is the problem. Arthritis has set in and there is bone-on-bone, not good. Until recently none of my doctors seem to have been able to find a decent method of treatment. None of the anti-inflammatory meds had worked, pain killers didn't either (not that I was ever given one for this problem - I just know from using them for dental reasons that it doesn't touch the knee pain). The only time I got relief was when I had to take a short term steroid for a severe respiratory infection. I felt fantastic for a full month afterwards - but steroids are NOT a solution, as they come with many negative side effects. I also had one injection into the knee which only lasted a couple of weeks.

Gaining weight because moving aggravates the pain is not helping either. I've become way too inactive over the years. The end result being too heavy and the way I was walking also impacted my feet, causing trouble with them also but luckily that has abated since I wear foot friendly shoes all the time.

I had begun to wonder if having a knee replacement was in my future. I recently decided to see a Rheumatologist to get their opinion. My understanding was that they also treated osteo-arthritis. Well, this was a great decision. He put me on a anti-inflammatory I'd never heard of before (Sulindac), and also took x-rays of other areas which were less problematic (my hands for instance). The medicine is working quite well! In the past few weeks I've had more energy to do things. It isn't the struggle it had been at all. It does have side effects but what doesn't? Kind of messes with my stomach a bit but it's manageable and only happens in the morning. The doctor also said no way was I ready for a knee replacement - my flexibility is pretty good.

All my aches and pains are related to arthritis for the most part. I also have neck pain related to nerve problems in the C5 area (cervical spine). It comes and goes at will so there's no way to predict it and it isn't like it lasts. Just sort of shooting pain for a few seconds, then leaves. I can deal with that one since it's minimal.

I used to suffer from frequent migraines and was on long term treatment for them. Happily, as my neurologist predicted, once I went through menopause they have decreased dramatically. I used to get them several times a month or more, now it's more like a few times a year.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The first little joint on my ring finger on my right hand hurts sometimes. And also at work my lower back hurts because I sit all day. Sitting hurts my back, I have to stand up at some point and move. And can't sit and not move for 8 hours.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mmmm, let's see. I had a left total hip replacement on June 12th, so that is my big OUCH! just now. And really, it is so much better! I am off the prescription pain meds, just taking Tylenol ES and Ibuprofen regularly.

I have osteoarthritis, my neck is my sore spot most of the time.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have arthritis in both knees and need total knee replacement in both knees. I really need to have it done soon but I am so afraid to go through with it.

Muffy

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my legs today ! I work on the 37th floor and every now and again they like to test us walking down the stairs in a fire drill . Last time I twisted my ankle. Had a drill yesterday and my legs hurt like hell . My work colleague is nearly 30 years older than me and is fine so shows a lot about my fitness !

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everywhere, but mostly my shoulders and head. I have chronic migraines (which is more than a bad headache), but even when I don't suffer from those, my head always hurts. Never stops.
In my left shoulder, the cartilage has degenerated and I rub bone on bone every time I move it. And now my right shoulder hurts but it makes my entire arm and hand go numb.
I've had it looked at, but my doctor is an idiot. He thinks that physical therapy will somehow make the cartilage regrow. Moron.
But I am pushing through and I have no real complaints. It's only pain, not a life threatening disease.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I used to suffer from frequent migraines and was on long term treatment for them. Happily, as my neurologist predicted, once I went through menopause they have decreased dramatically.
I had the exact opposite effect, I never had a migraine in my life until I went into menopause. So now on top of a few other aches and pains I suffer from migraines. Weather is a big trigger for me but that's something I can't control.

I have chronic migraines (which is more than a bad headache), but even when I don't suffer from those, my head always hurts. Never stops.
kashmir64 kashmir64 I really feel for you.:alright: When the weather gets humid I sometimes feel like my head always hurts too.

The only other complaint I have is my back, both my parents had major back problems so I'm sure it's hereditary. However, I have been going to exercise classes to learn more about core exercises.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Physically? Nowhere. I miss my DH so that hurts. I haven't won powerball so I can retire to a private island in the Bahamas with my cats and a feral colony I'd adopt from the Caribbean to create the perfect existence so that hurts too.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everywhere! I have fibromyalgia (among other things), so widespread neuropathic pain is my normal. At the moment it's particularly bad in my shoulders, neck and lower back, plus sciatic pain thanks to muscle spasms (another fibro symptom) pressuring the sciatic nerve :sigh:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My knees. I had a bad meniscus tear in my left knee several years ago and they did surgery to help. And it did help for a few years. Now I'm having trouble with the meniscus in my right knee. Also some foot problems from time to time. I think a lot of the pain comes from walking, but I'm not going to stop walking....you might as well just shoot me now. For the most part, it's not too bad, but some days are a lot worse than others. A regular walking routine helps keep my weight under control, helps to keep my blood pressure at a dull roar, and, believe it or not, also helps to keep the dreaded migraines at bay most of the time.

I get some nasty migraines. I had them when I was a child and they did dissipate some after I gave birth. But when I hit 40, the migraines came back with a vengeance. I also get cluster headaches, the ones that will last for a week, then go away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Ouch! People, some of these pain descriptions are making me wince. We all need a hot bath, a good massage and a stiff drink.

;)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mostly knees and hips, with occasional bouts of gout in my left big toe, and occasional bouts with TMJ, which shows up on either side.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My lower back. It's work related :ohwell: I'm not sure if PT is helping. I do home excercises in between appointments and I still wake up with a sore back.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If I wake up and stuff hurts, I know I'm still alive. I lie there and take inventory of what hurts and then I know if everything's still there.