Question Of The Day. Saturday 4th Of August

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, how's your weekend?

It's very hot and sticky here in Japan, but this evening I'm going to a firework display/open air concert down by the lake. Hopefully it should be pretty cool down there.

What was the last live event you went to? Was it a play, concert, sporting event or some other kind of performance?

I know a lot of local musicians, so I'm lucky enough to hear live music most weekends during the summer. Last night I heard three local bands play at a little concert in the park. My favourite was a very talented rock guitarist, but the old guys on trumpets and double base were good too.

:banana1::banana2::banana1::banana2::banana1::banana2::banana1::banana2::banana1::banana2::banana1:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Probably the fireworks display in my sister's town. We had dinner with my sister and her family, then we all headed out to her front porch to watch the fireworks.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Pagaent of the Masters. It's an annual art show put on my a very art centric community. They recreate artwork from the Masters using live humans. Statues and paintings done on life size scale on a stage with a common theme to go along. It really is absolutely breath taking. I took my niece and she kept saying, "that's not really people," because the makeup and lighting make it unbelievable that you are looking at people posing instead of an actual painting or statue.

Photography isn't allowed but here is a promotional image they put out,
PageantMasters-laguna-1200x752.jpg

Those are real women wearing costums and makeup in the frames. This angle makes it more believeable but when you sit in the theater it's even harder to tell.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to an old-time melodrama where you cheer the hero, awwww for the heroine, and boo the villain while you throw popcorn at him.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other then fireworks for Canada Day, I saw Shen Yun during this past winter.

It was good!

This week I will be going to see a Shakespearean play by the river - Taming Of The Shew.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was many years ago, but probably a Bon Jovi concert. I went to a lot of concerts back in the day though.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm.....I don't remember...? :confused::ruminating: :paperbag:

It was a year or two ago, but I went to a solo viol recital (and no, that's not a typo;)) at the church in the next village (which itself is just amazing - Easby Abby). My friend gives these amazing solo recitals as charity fundraisers (she's a highly respected performer in the Early Music world) - people donate what they choose, and others provide homemade cakes, tea and coffee to raise money too. People come and go as they please, and it's a lovely, chilled out atmosphere :)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a Minnesota Twins game in May. A Twins game will likely be my next live event too since baseball is the only sport I will watch and I don't go to concerts because I have trouble being around people and loud noises (also most of my favorite singers are dead anyway).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just tried to find out what this was but silly Google keeps asking me if I mean Violin recital.
:crazy:
A viol is a renaissance/baroque string instrument, with 6 strings (or 7 on a baroque bass), frets, and is bowed. It comes in three sizes - treble (range similar to a violin), tenor (range similar to a viola) and bass (range similar to a cello. Unlike the violin family, the treble and tenor viols rest on your lap and are bowed from the upright position (as opposed to being placed under the chin). Treble and tenor viols are only rarely used as solo instruments.The bass is the king of the viol family, and has a huge solo repertoire, as well as being used as an accompanying instrument for wind insuments of the same period, or in mixed (wind and strings) or like (just viols) consorts/ensembles.

The bass is held in a similar position to a cello. Unlike the modern cello, though, it has no spike at the base, and is just balanced on and supported by the player's calves (the same was true of cellos until the late 1800s ;) ). All three viols are bowed 'underarm' too, with the player's hand underneath the bow; a direct contrast to the violin family, where the player's hand is on top of the bow.

Viol family and history
(My friend playing bass, accompanied by the lute).
Viol solo, like the recitals I talked about.
Viol consort.

*End of lecture* :paperbag:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a community theater production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My favorite musical! They did a good job considering the constraints inherent to a small community production.