Question Of The Day, Saturday 30th March.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello, Happy Saturday.

:wave3:

Did you know today was Earth Hour Day?

Homepage

It's a day when people are asked to switch of their lights and any non-essential electrical appliances for one hour.

Could you cope without your lights and gadgets for an hour? What would you do in that time?

I think it will be easy enough for me to go without lights or my PC for an hour. It will be kind of nice to do some yoga by candle-light, or just snuggle up with the cats for a while. I think I'll leave the heat on though, it's a bit cold here today.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, I have done it for much longer! I think everyone should join in on this, daily. Seeing all the people around me who are attached to their phones like it has an umbilical cord, totally missing out on interactions with real live people in a totally ignored world, it makes me realize how much they are really missing. They are becoming like the phones themselves.....unable to be truly alive, never truly feeling because they have the anonymity of the internet......

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could easily do it too. So much quieter and peaceful! Just think: the humming noise of the cat's water fountain wouldn't exist for an hour!

Coping without electricity is both calming for me and brings out more resourcefulness and curiosity that I'd sometimes set aside if I was relying upon electrical gadgets.

I start to go bananas without having electricity if it goes on for more that 4-6 hours, though.
:runaround:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I could definitely go without electricity for one hour. I'm sure Carleton would appreciate me taking a nap side-by-side with him. The gentle sound of his purr is all I need to relax and comfort me. :angelcat:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could do it, yes, but I wouldn't be able to do much other than sit in the dark. The sun sets like an hour before the thing is supposed to happen.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As often as the power goes out up here, an hour would be a breeze. The problem is that if the power goes out, so does the water.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie and I slept in today so we did our part. :catlove:

Lilith isn't allowed to use the computer since I found her stealing an Amazon gift card from the coffee table. Yes really. She used to love taking our things and hiding them under my bed. :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did my part yesterday.Our power went out for about 3 hours.I can always find plenty to do,but I do worry about the fridges and freezers when this happens.All was well.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did know about it but I didn't do it. I'm pretty phone-addicted lately because I have a lot of stress and need the distraction very badly. At 8 pm it'd be hard to go without electricity because it's dark and that's too early for sleep. We could do a candle-lit dinner at that time (really a LED bulb dinner because we don't use candles due to six cats) but we'd still be using gas, styrofoam meat trays and plastic wrap and batteries.

There's a lot of waste in modern life so I think if you make effort in some areas each day it's a lot better than trying to go without X for a minuscule amount of time one day a year.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do this most days a week as I volunteer at a charity shop and we have to keep our phones and other electronics in lockers for security reasons. I would probably visit a local natural attraction or take a journey somewhere in the countryside and enjoy life offline.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with this whole thing is the timing. Even in AZ, we had a cold snap and the heaters had to be turned on. By 8:30 last night it was already around 30°. If I don't have the heater in my home and the pump house on then pipes freeze and that costs a lot of money (and time) to fix. Even shutting off the pump and draining the tank still leaves water in the pipes, so I have to use the electricity.
I do love the Earth, but I can't afford to replace my pipes again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I do love the Earth, but I can't afford to replace my pipes again.
I'm with you. I turned off my lights, PC and phone for an hour and read by candle light, but I'm not going to turn off the heat or the electric toilet.

Just turning off the lights counts for a little bit, I think.